Exporting to PDF not working correctly

Discuss the word processor
HSLeader

Re: Exporting to PDF not working correctly

Post by HSLeader »

Zizi64 wrote:
Edited to add, sorry it is so small, I had to keep reducing the size so it would upload.
I can not read any font name on your picture. Why some Fonts are grayed ?

Tip for the attachment:
Do not reduce the pixel resolution of the screenshot, but you can reduce the COLOR depth of your picture. (I am using the free Irfan View software for optimizing images. Use .png type images instead of the .jpg.)
The grayed out ones look like a different language.
I am having issues getting it below 128 KiB. I've decolored it, I tried .png, I tried .gif

I can tell you the ones that are grayed out are foreign languages. Arial, Times New Romans, Courier, are all lit up.
Last edited by HSLeader on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
HSLeader

Post by HSLeader »

HSLeader wrote:
RoryOF wrote:As far as I know (certainly is the case on my OO) the Findfonts extension puts a red Fo button on the standard toolbar. If you are in doubt about whether that extension is installed, select /Tools /Extension manager and see if "Test of missing fonts" is near the bottom of the installed extensions.
I'm not seeing anything like that on the toolbar. Will try again in the morning. Thanks so much.
I see the FO button and clicked on it, this is what I have.. well some of it, the box scrolls pretty long.
Attachments
FO Button.png
HSLeader

Post by HSLeader »

John_Ha wrote:Do some diagnosis.

1. Open Notepad. What fonts are available? Choose one (egg Arial) and type something. Does it look correct? Print it. Does it look OK?

2. Assume you chose Arial and it looked OK. Now create a new, empty Writer document. Type some text in Arial. Does it look OK? Print it. Does it look OK?

3. File > Export as PDF. Choose PDF/A and embed the font.

4. Upload the .odt file from 2. and the PDF file from 3.
I opened Notepad, many fonts available. I chose Arial, typed it, printed all fine.

I made one in Writer , printed it, printed fine. When I tried to save it as a pdf, Writer stopped responding. Twice. I restarted my pc, and tried again. Same thing, writer just sits there not responding. This is a new error. I wasn't having this issue before.

Edited to add, instead of forcing it closed, I just sat and waited. It finally responded. So I opened my pdf of the paper I had printed in writer. I took a screen shot of them side by side.

Also, here are the files themselves.
Attachments
Testing Page.odt
(8.59 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
testing page.pdf
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Writer and PDF.png
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your .odt document works correctly, but it is picking up Arial from my computer. Your .pdf displays boxes and Adobe Reader reports that no fonts are assigned to it. Have you many fonts installed? It may be that if so you have exceeded an internal Windows limit on the number of fonts.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
HSLeader

Post by HSLeader »

RoryOF wrote:Your .odt document works correctly, but it is picking up Arial from my computer. Your .pdf displays boxes and Adobe Reader reports that no fonts are assigned to it. Have you many fonts installed? It may be that if so you have exceeded an internal Windows limit on the number of fonts.
Ok, I haven't downloaded anything at all for extra fonts. someone earlier suggested I "restore default font settings" I checked that box. Tried everything again and am still getting blank boxes in pdf. I know this is my issue, but I'm about ready to bang my head against the wall. It also isn't saving files in .doc correctly. They are all scrambled. My head feels scrambled. I appreciate everyone's help. I just wish I could get it figured out.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To clarify: I vaguely remember that you said you had deleted the OpenOffice user profile? Is this so? If so, when you restarted OpenOffice after this, were you prompted for your name/Initials? If not, the delete of the profile was not good and you should try again.
HSLeader

Post by HSLeader »

RoryOF wrote:To clarify: I vaguely remember that you said you had deleted the OpenOffice user profile? Is this so? If so, when you restarted OpenOffice after this, were you prompted for your name/Initials? If not, the delete of the profile was not good and you should try again.
I did delete it, and yes prompted and entered my info. Ok, Will try it again. thanks.

Edited to add. Re named it re submitted name and initials this time using my husband's info. Created a new document, exported it and still blank boxes in pdf.
HSLeader

Post by HSLeader »

A friend of mine suggested CutePDF writer. That works. I have no clue why my fonts keep coming up blank in Open Office, but at least I found a program that will convert my documents to pdf's I do appreciate all your help, I really would like to get this fixed if I can figure it out.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I can only guess that here is something (who knows what?) awry with the font installation on your Windows 10 setup. My Windows experience is well out of date - I only use, very rarely, a very old Windows on a spare machine for access to historic files in old formats.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Thank you - it appears that the fonts are accessible to Notepad.

1. Uninstal AOO. When it asks you if you want to save your data say no. (You can check that your data has been deleted by navigating to C:\users\your_name\App data\Roaming. The folder OpenOffice should have been deleted.

2. Download AOO from Openoffice.org

3. Install AOO.

4. Does it work OK?

5. If not, start the PC in SAFE MODE (Google, or search the forum for instructions). Does it now work OK?

6. Navigate to C:\Windows\Fonts. Drag about half the fonts out and store them in a folder on your desktop. Go to a font download site and download a font you do not have. Install it (drag it into C:\Windows\Fonts. Reboot. Create a PDF from Writer using that font. Does it work.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

HSLeader wrote:A friend of mine suggested CutePDF writer. That works. I have no clue why my fonts keep coming up blank in Open Office, but at least I found a program that will convert my documents to pdf's .
You shouldn't need a separate program like CutePDF. Windows 10 includes a virtual PDF printer. In AOO, select File > Print. On the Print dialog, select the "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
HSLeader

Post by HSLeader »

John_Ha wrote:Thank you - it appears that the fonts are accessible to Notepad.

1. Uninstal AOO. When it asks you if you want to save your data say no. (You can check that your data has been deleted by navigating to C:\users\your_name\App data\Roaming. The folder OpenOffice should have been deleted.

2. Download AOO from Openoffice.org

3. Install AOO.

4. Does it work OK?

5. If not, start the PC in SAFE MODE (Google, or search the forum for instructions). Does it now work OK?

6. Navigate to C:\Windows\Fonts. Drag about half the fonts out and store them in a folder on your desktop. Go to a font download site and download a font you do not have. Install it (drag it into C:\Windows\Fonts. Reboot. Create a PDF from Writer using that font. Does it work.
Uninstalled, reinstalled, it didn't work. PDF's still not showing any fonts.

Doesn't work in safe mode either.
Thanks.
HSLeader

Post by HSLeader »

Bill wrote:
HSLeader wrote:A friend of mine suggested CutePDF writer. That works. I have no clue why my fonts keep coming up blank in Open Office, but at least I found a program that will convert my documents to pdf's .
You shouldn't need a separate program like CutePDF. Windows 10 includes a virtual PDF printer. In AOO, select File > Print. On the Print dialog, select the "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer.
Agreed, I shouldn't have to, but for now it is the only work around I can manage to get to convert files to pdf with fonts. :knock: :crazy:
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think the problem is with the Windows installation, not with OpenOffice.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It is almost certainly a fonts installation problem.

A thought. Run the Windows System File Checker - see Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. SFC checks all Windows system files to see if they are valid.

I once has some malware which corrupted my fonts by setting them so that they were owned by something strange and the permissions were peculiar. I just could not set the fonts back to normal. I wasn't too worried as I did not use the affected fonts.

Windows then refused to update Internet Explorer because the Windows installer could not delete the installed Segoe font so as to install the updated Segoe font. I could not delete the font, not even with an administrator CMD window or using a "delete un-deletable files" utility. System File Checker reported problems with my fonts.

I tried everything I could think of without success. No-one on the Windows forums I tried could suggest anything or tell me how to reset the fonts or build a new fonts folder. I eventually decided that having a back level IE on my system was too much of a risk so I rebuilt Windows 7 from scratch, taking the opportunity to install a SSD.

This is what I wrote at the time:
System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

1. Cet a cmd window as administrator by Click Start > type cmd >, ctrl / shift / enter

Or click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. ***

2. Type sfc /scannow and press ENTER:

The sfc /scannow command scans all system files and will recover the corrupted ones.

3. Please restart the computer and recheck the original issue.

SFC logs its results to the C:\WINDOWS\LOGS\CBS\CBS.LOG. You can find the specific SFC entries by searching for the [SR] tags in the log.

Thiis is useful way to run sfc /scannow fixes, sfc /verify only lists all problems

Errors from running sfc /scannow or sfc /verifyonly (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 )

To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool. Follow these steps:

1 Open an elevated command prompt ( cmd with ctrl/shift/enter )

2 At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: (r-click in cmd, Paste :-))

findstr /c:"[SR]" C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log > C:\Users\xxxxxx\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This puts Sfcdetails.txt on the desktop. The log has old entries so delete all the old items - just look at those at the relevant time.

3 Fixing the errors which it finds

see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

You can get replacement files by downloading a W7 DVD - see http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology ... load-links

see http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3 ... &x=13&y=11

=====

The log contains details from every time that the System File Checker tool has been run on the computer. The file includes information about files that were not repaired by the System File Checker tool. Verify the date and time entries to determine the problem files that were found the last time that you ran the System File Checker tool.

The Sfcdetails.txt file uses the following format:
Date/Time SFC detail

The following sample log file contains an entry for a file that could not be repaired:

2007-01-12 12:10:42, Info CSI 00000008 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:34{17}]"Accessibility.dll" of Accessibility, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_MSIL (8), Culture neutral, VersionScope neutral, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:b03f5f7f11d50a3a}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

=====================================================================================

The problem was caused by the files in C:\windows\winsxs\...AM<D64 ...\segoe.ttf having the wrong permissions - only the user had any permissions! I fixed it in two ways

1 MANUALLY FIX. r-click the file > Properties > Security > Add > type system, click FULL CONTROL; and repeat for administrator.

2 BATCH FILE. Run the following command from a CMD window

cacls c:\windows\winsxs /t /c /e /g Administrators:f

where CACLS allows you to modify ACL rights on files and folders for users and groups on the local computer.

I needed this for an installed program would not run under a users account unless i manually change the user permissions of the folder.

The following can be added into a script to automate the procedure when installing the program!
1. Usage

cacls filename [/t] [/e] [/c] [/g user|group:perm]

2. Parameters

filename Displays ACLs of specified directory, file or files.

/t Changes ACLs of specified files in the current directory and all subdirectories.

/e Edit ACL instead of replacing it.

/c Continue changing ACLs, ignoring errors.

/g user|group:perm Grant specified user or group access permissions. perm can be:

r Read
c Change (write)
f Full control

/r user Revoke specified user's or group's access permissions.

/p user|group:perm Replace specified user's or group's access permissions. perm can be:

n None
r Read
c Change (write)
f Full control

/d user|group Deny specified user access.

3. User|Group

can be a user or an AD Group!

4. Example:

cacls c:\ /t /e /g Administrators:f

Gives "Administrators" group FULL access to C: Drive and all files / folders.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See added notes above.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See "Export to PDF" yields jibberish where it might be a problem of the fonts not being able to be embedded in the PDF. It appears that even a simple AOO created PDF has the fonts embedded in it.

You can use the font on your PC but the font licence does not allow you to embed the font into a PDF so the PDF does not display correctly.
Font embeddability
Font embeddability
See Fonts which says:
Microsoft Technet article on font embeddability
Microsoft Technet article on font embeddability

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If you still have the problem, it would be very interesting if you could remove your Times New Roman font files from C:\Windows\Fonts and replace them with some correct Times New Roman font files.

1 Go to https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd9yy3tmciim7 ... s.ttf?dl=0 and download times.ttf. Repeat for https://www.dropbox.com/s/m820o1rdzmytl ... d.ttf?dl=0 (timesbd.ttf), https://www.dropbox.com/s/1w2iuemp8otfx ... i.ttf?dl=0 (timesbi.ttf) and https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij3wy68mk6k40 ... i.ttf?dl=0 (timesi.ttf).

You now have my copies of times.ttf, timesbd.ttf, timesbi.ttf and timesi.ttf font files.

2 Create a new folder on your desktop by r-click the desktop > New > Folder. Call it TNR

3 Navigate to C:\ Windows\Fonts. Click More options ..., to set the window to Details as below
Clipboard02.png
4 right-click Times New Roman > Copy.

5 Go to the TNR folder on your desktop > right-click inside it > Paste. This pastes a copy of your Times New Roman fonts so you do not lose them

6 Go back to C:\Windows\Fonts. right-click Times New Roman > Delete. This deletes them

7 right-click each of my font files > Install. This installs my font files for you.

8 Reboot your PC.

Does this fix the problem?

Note: See Why Some Fonts Can’t Be Embedded In PDF which suggests that you may have some very old, non-embeddable fonts on your system.
Rogue Fonts

Q. I followed with interest your series about PDF font embedding. I hadn’t realized that some fonts weren’t being embedded in my files ... Can you explain this?

A. Some fonts are actually prohibited by their creators from embedding in a PDF. You aren’t doing anything incorrect; the font has been deliberately constructed to prevent PDF embedding.

Some Solutions

... Use fonts that will embed! You may wish to contact the foundry (the font creator from whom you purchased the font) about an updated replacement copy of the font that is licensed to permit PDF embedding.

You may not have purchased these problem fonts individually. For example, Corel software such as Draw and WordPerfect used to install vast numbers of non-embeddable fonts on its host computer. Even if WordPerfect was later uninstalled the fonts remain, usable (but not embeddable) by any program. Corel does offer replacement embeddable versions free of charge.

Another example was Apple, whose Macintosh system fonts circa OS8 were also unembeddable.

Old Font, New Font

When Acrobat was new, some founders were concerned that fonts might be extracted from PDFs, so they restricted embedding. The PDF format has become so common that most type foundries have realized that a font that won’t embed has very little value. If a font manufacturer is still deliberately restricting PDF embedding make a mental note to stop doing business with them! The problems their unembeddable type will cause for you in this PDF-connected 21st century are simply not worth the headaches.

paula123

Post by paula123 »

If I make a pdf by 'export to pdf' this document will not print at an external printshop.
There seems to be a bug with permissions.
Printing is not permitted though the document has all permissions.

The font is embedded. The font is not the problem.

Suggestions are welcome, thanks.

A suggestion for bank page issues: free font versions of copyrighted fonts generally do not allow printing.
Open Office 3.1.4 on MAC OS sierra 10.13.4
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Please don't post the same problem in multiple topics, particularly if the problem is not the same as the original problem posed. It leads to several discussions and a waste of time because several identical answers may be posted by different users.

All - please follow up to paula123's first post here
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers