Pdf Text boxes

Discuss the word processor
janlappa

Pdf Text boxes

Post by janlappa »

My aim is to open a pdf on openoffice and then saving a part of it. The pdf opens with text boxes around the text (only around part of the text for some reason?) and when I export the pdf the text boxes are visible which makes the document pretty much unreadable. The only way I've figured out so far to delete the boxes is to click each one manually and then delete - sometimes this will delete the text inside the box too. Is there a way to disable these text boxes or to export a pdf without them visible? This is becoming an extremely frustrating problem, as the task I am trying to do is so simple and already so time consuming.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Pdf Text boxes

Post by John_Ha »

janlappa wrote:My aim is to open a pdf on openoffice and then saving a part of it.
You cannot edit a PDF with Writer. You can use Writer to save a file as a PDF.

You can do very minor cosmetic edits to a PDF with AOO Draw and the Oracle PDF Import Extension.

See [Tutorial] How do I edit a PDF? for more information.

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may be able to Open a PDF document in a dedicated PDF reader - Adobe Reader is the best known - then select and copy the text you require, Pasting it into an OpenOffice Writer document.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
janlappa

Post by janlappa »

Okay - but I am able to open a pdf on openoffice - and I am able to delete most of the dcument and then export the part that I want, except that once I export from openoffice it has boxes around the text that werent there in the original pdf.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

janlappa wrote:Okay - but I am able to open a pdf on openoffice - and I am able to delete most of the dcument and then export the part that I want, except that once I export from openoffice it has boxes around the text that werent there in the original pdf.
You may have the PDF extension for OpenOffice installed; look at /Tools /Options Extension manager to see if this is so.
janlappa

Post by janlappa »

Yup, got the extension.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It has been explained in this thread that the OO PDF extension does not deconstruct the PDF file back to the basic data; instead it handles it as a series of little pictures, permitting the super-impositiuon of another picture - as i might be a Post-it note - of text over the existing. I think you may have to move to a more powerful tool, as earlier outlined.