[Solved] Section Page Count

Discuss the word processor
GridLok

[Solved] Section Page Count

Post by GridLok »

Firstly, I should note that I am not a 'power' user - i.e. I am not someone who is familiar with exactly how things work in Writer.

I have, thanks to guidance from this forum, worked out how to set-up (in the footer) separate PageNumber/Page Count for each section of my documents - i.e. after inserting a Page Break. I use the method whereby Page Count is Cross Referenced to a bookmark on the final page of a section. However it does not 'update' automatically. That is to say, when the reference bookmark is 'pushed' onto a new page the page count does not increase by one. Is there a way where by this can be remedied? It's not a huge deal … currently I must periodically delete the existing Page Count field concerned and execute the relevant procedure. It works, but it's clumsy.

This raises, in my thoughts at least, the question of how to go about adding to the functionality of OO Writer. I realise it cannot be 'all-singing-all-dancing', fulfilling everone's expectations,but … is there a way - a forum for avid OO Developers or something? - whereby those who would like to have a particular feature could try to raise interest (AND FUNDS!) to facilitate its realisation? As it stands it's wonderfully useful and I'd be lost without it.
Last edited by GridLok on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
"To find the right answer, first find the right question"
OpenOffice org. 4.1.4
OO414m5(Build:9788) - Rev. 1811857
2017-10-16 22:12:14 (Mon, 16 Oct 2017) - Darwin x86_64
Mac OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra)
RoryOF

Re: Section Page Count

Post by RoryOF »

A great many things can be done in OpenOffice by writing an Extension or Add-on. The usual starting points are Andrew Pitonyak's books on Macros, and then study of the OO API. However, because there are only 24 hours in a day, faced with the choice between using OO for a particular project, or writing an extension, one normally has to continue with the project to the exclusion of working on an extension.

Previous opinions on the Forum suggest that for the addition of complex functionality to OO, whether by macros or by extension (= very complex macros) several months' immersion in the above documentation will be needed before worthwhile results emerge.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

GridLok wrote: … is there a way - a forum for avid OO Developers or something
See Customizing and Extending which links to Macros and UNO API and The Apache OpenOffice Wiki.

For pagination see Chapter 4 - Formatting Pages in the OOo v3.3 Writer Manual. See the Writer Tutorials where there are Tutorials on pagination.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to update the fields?
F9 or Tools > Update > Update all.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
GridLok

Post by GridLok »

Many thanks for the informative comments. For now I will go with Hagar's suggestions, although on my iMac F9 actions Mission Control. Tools > Update > Update All works fine … whether increasing or decreasing section page count. It's a while since I created a Macro but it will be good exercise to create a Macro for the procedure … and apply a keyboard short-cut to make it even easier.

OO Rules!!
"To find the right answer, first find the right question"
OpenOffice org. 4.1.4
OO414m5(Build:9788) - Rev. 1811857
2017-10-16 22:12:14 (Mon, 16 Oct 2017) - Darwin x86_64
Mac OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra)