[Solved] Align stacked frames at their top line

Discuss the word processor
john1320

[Solved] Align stacked frames at their top line

Post by john1320 »

In my workflow it is often required to insert multiple small images with captions in document.

I like to place them 3 in a row. The simplest way is to use a table:
table.png
This looks good, but I'm not completely like the idea of tables, because, as I understand, it will clutter navigator and index of tables. Also, I don't like tables because rearrangement of images becomes very inflexible. So, stacked frames, each 33 % of paragraph width, probably will be better solution. Currently, it looks like this:
stacked_frames_current.png
The problem with example above is that frames vertically aligned at bottom. While I want to align them at their top line. (But if I click on the frame, and then click "Alignment" and "Base line at top", it will not change anything. Strange).

Desired result:
stacked_frames_desired.png
Somehow, with a lot of clicking and copy and pasting I achieved it, as shown in the third image, but I still cannot figure out how to reproduce it again. Any ideas ? )
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
LibreOffice 5.2.7 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Align stacked frames at their top line

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload your ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

john1320 wrote:This looks good, but I'm not completely like the idea of tables, because, as I understand, it will clutter navigator and index of tables.
I do not think that is a valid reason - tables do not "clutter navigator and index of tables".
john1320 wrote:I don't like tables because rearrangement of images becomes very inflexible.
Anchor images To Paragraph, choosing the paragraph mark in the table cell with the image.
Clipboard02.png
Also see [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.

Right-click a Frame > Frame > Type ..., and set the Position - Vertical settings to be the same for all three frames. They are now aligned at the top.
Clipboard03.png
If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
john1320

Post by john1320 »

Hi! I'm sorry for delay in answer. (I just haven't access to computer these days). The problem is currently "resolved", because anyway, I use a lot of tables to create nested "blocks".

Your solution is very interesting, I sure it will be useful for me and another users. Thanks!
LibreOffice 5.2.7 on Windows 7