Copy Internet to OpenOffice impossible

Discuss the word processor
vdjb.openoffice

Copy Internet to OpenOffice impossible

Post by vdjb.openoffice »

I can not copy content form internet to open office 4.1.3. using Windows 10 at Acer Aspire.
I never had this problem with previous versions.
Problems start after the first "copy" action inside Open Office.
Using paste special "text format" not helps.
Controlling clip board not possible, no tool for that.
I can past to all available text editors but not to Open Office.
Only closing all Open Office files makes clip board empty.
Sometimes rarely it works without closing all Open Office files but I don't know when, I can not replay.
I see many people have same problem.
There must be a bug in the version 4.1.3.
Open Office 4.1.3 insralled om Windows 10 on Acer Aspire
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: COPY INTERNET TO OPEN OFFICE IMPOSSIBLE

Post by Zizi64 »

I can not copy content form internet to open office 4.1.3. using Windows 10 at Acer Aspire.
What type of contents you want to copy into your ODF document?
Last edited by Zizi64 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Copy Internet to OpenOffice impossible

Post by floris v »

Copy & Paste from Chrome to Writer works for me - but you lose a lot of the formatting. Please be more specific about what you can't do - can't you paste at all, or can't you preserve the formatting of the original? If the first, please tell what content you try to copy - graphics, text, video. That will help us to narrow down the problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

vdjb.openoffice wrote:I can not copy content form internet to open office 4.1.3. using Windows 10 at Acer Aspire...
I see many people have same problem.
There must be a bug in the version 4.1.3.
Of course material copied from the internet can be pasted into Open Office although the results will depend on how the web page is coded (images, for example, are often not copied - see Section 12 in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for an explanation) and the results will depend on how you choose to format the pasted material - whether you attempt to retain the original format or whether you paste unformatted.

If you cannot do so it is because of a problem with your YOUR PC and not because of a problem with Open Office. There is no bug

See the attached .odt file where I copied this web page and pasted it into a Writer document using Edit > Paste. I then broke the links for the images with Edit > Links ... You will get different results if you choose different options under Edit > Paste Special ...

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the OOo v3.3 Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
Attachments
copy from internet.odt
(36.04 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
vdjb.openoffice

Re: COPY INYERNET TO OPEN OFFICE IMPOSSIBLE

I intended to copy at least the text from a web site.
Alle I can paste into the Open Office is the content of the Open Office Clipboard.
vdjb.openoffice

I can not copy text from internet to open office.
I am very experienced, I already tried everything and nothing works.
I saw several people posting this problem in 2016 without solution.
Maybe I didn't install Open Office properly.
My laptop prevented me from installing it under C:\programs so I did install it under my Windows acount\programs.
Maybe that is the problem.
I am getting desperate because copying text from internet/E-mail tot Open Office is a standard activity for me,
i depend much on it.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

If your laptop doesn't allow you to install OpenOffice in the default folder (called C:\Program Files) for installing software, something is very much wrong with it. Anyway, I can paste text copied from this web page in a blank OpenOffice document.

I suggest that you download the original software from the link at the bottom of this page - you will at some point be redirected to sourceforge.net, then just wait for the download dialog box to appear (Firefox) or wait for the download to complete (Chrome), but don't click any link on that page. Then uninstall the current one, then run the new install file. See if the problem is fixed. If not, you will have to reset your user profile. Click here for help how to do that.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Nederlandstalig forum
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

vdjb.openoffice wrote:I can not copy text from internet to open office... I am getting desperate because copying text from internet/E-mail tot Open Office is a standard activity for me, i depend much on it.
1. As a workaround, copy from internet to Notepad and copy from Notepad to Writer.

2. Un-install AOO choosing the option to NOT keep your settings. Download AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html. Install it.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
vdjb.openoffice

Copying from Internet to Open Office on an Acer Aspire i3 with Win10 \ 1703 x64
has become possible again for me since 2017-09-10 07:00,
thanks to a component update whose installation failed 15 times in the last 15 weeks
with error 0x80240031, but now it went well.
Downloading, installing and activating did cost 3Gb and 6 hours (with mobile 3G).
Failed downloading 15 times did cost about 20 Gb.
Unfortunately, the mobile internet user can not determine the download itself.
The latter is a widely heard complaint from internet users in remote areas
without landline or wifi.
This update also resolved the problem of slow copying
of formatted content.
Its speed has now increased from 60 seconds to 1 second.
I will also mention this solution in the problem "Slow Copy" and
on the Dutch-speaking forum.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You can prevent W10 updates by several methods.

The simplest way to prevent Windows 10 from automatically downloading updates is to use WiFi, and use a metered Internet connection for your WiFi. W10 will now update only if you are connected by Ethernet cable.

Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Advanced options ..., and turn Set metered connection to ON.

This, and other, methods are given at Stop Windows 10 from automatically updating your PC