Deleted documents that won't delete

Discuss the word processor
shann1984

Deleted documents that won't delete

Post by shann1984 »

I have to documents that I have deleted but the next day have come back but I can't delete them because they 'don't exist'. I'm worried that I'm going to have a long list of docs. that I've deleted but not deleted. Help?
OpenOffice 4.1.3
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Deleted documents that won't delete

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

It is almost certainly a Windows or other operating system problem. Reboot to reset the File Manager.

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The documents are stored on your computer and a note of the location of the last ten documents used is stored in OpenOffice under /File /Recent documents; If the documents are deleted (usually from your File manager, File Explorer, Windows Explorer - whatever this s called depends on your operating system) The list stored in Recent Documents is not automatically updated; this tells you that a deleted document "doesn't exist". As you open or create newer documents the now invalid name will be scrolled off the list, If you really want to, you can clear that list by the entry at its bottom, but that will lose the shortcut access to the other documents on the list not yet deleted. These can be restored to the Recent documents list by the simple process of moving to their directory and opening them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
shann1984

Post by shann1984 »

Thank you for replying so quickly. How do I go about rebooting/resetting the file manager?
OpenOffice 4.1.3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You don't reboot/reset the file manager. it is a system utility, independent of OpenOffice. How have you deleted the files? Recent Documents is accessed through OpenOffice /File /Recent documents
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
shann1984

Post by shann1984 »

I went to my documents, right clicked and then deleted. This has happened before but the "deleted file" eventually disappeared. Sorry, I'm not very tech savvy.
OpenOffice 4.1.3
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Just reboot. When the PC starts, the file manager will be working correctly.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Think of it like this: the file manager is your bookshelf, and the "recent documents" list in OpenOffice is your memory of books you have read. If you burn one of the books you won't forget that you read it, but you can't find it in the bookshelf anymore even though you remember exactly where it used to be.

If you give yourself a good whack on the head you may forget that book, but then you will most likely forget other books you read too.

Disclaimer: Each individual must take responsibility for own actions if performing any of the procedures described in this posting. I only meant them for illustration of the point, and not for physical execution. They are likely to cause permanent damage to people's health and property.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10