Writer centers on frame when clicking...can you stop this?

Discuss the word processor
orielonline

Writer centers on frame when clicking...can you stop this?

Post by orielonline »

I have a multiple-page document and every time I click on a frame the program will automatically try to scroll and center it on the screen. This can get really annoying. Is there an option to turn it off?

Thanks.

*Edit: This also happens when I delete photos from a frame on the second page that's been copied and pasted from the first page. Very distracting to say the least. Help!
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1 Pro
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Writer centers on frame when clicking...can you stop thi

Post by Zizi64 »

every time I click on a frame the program will automatically try to scroll and center it on the screen.
What click do you mean? Left click, ritht click, simple click, double click?
Can you upload your .odt type sample document here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

That is working as designed.

If you select a frame by left-clicking it once, Writer highlights it and centres the frame. If you left-click it twice, Writer highlights it, centres it and opens the Frame properties pop-up.

You cannot change it as it is for your protection because, if you had a frame selected and highlighted on a non-visible page, and you pressed Delete, you would delete it without any visible sign you had done so.

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
orielonline

Post by orielonline »

I gotcha. So my last question is if I'm filling a neighboring frame with photos, is there any way to finely adjust where in the fame they're placed? If I use the arrow keys while keep a photo highlighted, it tends to move it up or down way too far; if I use the mouse, I can't keep it steady enough to move it to an exact spot.

Thanks!
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1 Pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Right-click the picture > Picture > Type. You can now enter co-ordinates for how to position the picture.

Be sure to understand what an Anchor is and how it works. See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.

Read Chapter 8 - Working with Graphics in the OOo v3.3 Writer Manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.