Shortcuts for styles: global or document-based?

Discuss the word processor
john1320

Shortcuts for styles: global or document-based?

Post by john1320 »

Hi, it's again me!

The question about shortcuts.

To summarize it briefly, I'm wondering are the shortcuts stored independly for each document or they are stored globally. Below are more details.

Details

As I understand, the shortcuts could be specified in "Tools > Customize > Keyboard" window. So, I can create some new document, then create custom style ("_Typewriter") in this document, assign some shortcut for it (Ctrl-T), and this will work. Then I close this document.

Next, I create another document, then create style "_ Title" in this document and assign it to "Ctrl-T". Then I close this document.

So I have 2 documents, with different styles: first document with style "_ Typewriter" and second document with style "_ Title". Both these styles were assigned to Ctrl-T.

Next I reopen the 1st document and press Ctrl-T... with no effect. If I reopen "Customize" window, I see that "Ctrl-T" is assigned to now non-existing style "_ Title". In other words, it seems that shortcuts are stored globally in OpenOffice program, instead of being document-based?
LibreOffice 5.2.7 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Shortcuts for styles: global or document-based?

Post by Villeroy »

I think, shortcuts to styles are useful with the built-in styles but not with custom styles.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
john1320

Post by john1320 »

Villeroy wrote:I think, shortcuts to styles are useful with the built-in styles but not with custom styles.
Disagree... It is much better to have choice.

And moreover, it's just confusing. Styles are stored "locally" (document-based), but shortcuts for them are stored globally (program-based).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

But there is no choice. Unlike styles, shortcuts can't be stored in documents, therefore it makes no sense to assign shortcuts to styles other than the built-in ones.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

I regularly use custom shortcuts linked to custom styles. As far as I can see, the shortcuts are application settings: they apply to all documents.

It seems that the shortcuts refer to a style by name (and category), so if a shortcut applies character style "_Title", you may get different effects in different documents if the documents define that style differently.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The custom keyboard shortcuts are user settings stored in the user profile in the registrymodifications.xcu file. They can't be stored in documents because if another user opens the document, the setting stored in the document could conflict with the setting stored in the other user's profile.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
john1320

Post by john1320 »

Thanks for all answers. Not convenient, but well, not deal-breaker.