Help recovering file

Discuss the word processor
amine58

Help recovering file

Post by amine58 »

Hi, just wondering if someone could help me recover a file. My laptop unexpectedly restarted (its erratic like that), just before that I saved the file in question. When my laptop restarted and I tried to start OpenOffice a pop-up (similar to the one which I had to fill out when I first downloaded the software) asked me to register again. After re-registering, I tried to open the file and an 'ASCII filter options' box (image attached) asked me to confirm the character set, default form and language. I then pressed ok but the file contained none of my work and 10 pages of "######". I've tried to follow recovery tutorials, for example one which instructed me to rename my user file, and have also checked the backup folder, but this yielded no results. I'm really inexperienced with technology and am worried maybe my tinkering is just making things worse. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance. Amine

P.s I've attached the file and an image of the ASCII filter options box to this post
P.ss I was able to retrieve other openoffice files which were open at the time my computer restarted, but weren't saved. Only this file, ironically the one I need most, seems to be lost.
Attachments
wtf 4.png
wtf 4.png (8.32 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
eastern empire notes.odt
(53.31 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
OpenOffice Version 4.1.3 Windows 10
amine58

Re: Help recovering file

Post by amine58 »

Update: not sure if this is necessarily progress but using Active File Recovery I've managed to recover a file which, whilst still full of gobbledegook, is not just pages of "###########". Will attach it with this post.
Attachments
eastern empire notes.odt
(53.31 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
OpenOffice Version 4.1.3 Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, neither file contains any recoverable data.

I believe the best chance in this situation is to try and recover a working/scratch copy of the file often left by OO.

See viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The binary editor HxD shows that your first file is full of null characters meaning there is nothing in it. Your second file has two sections of gibberish separated by long lengths of nulls. There is therefore nothing to be recovered from either file.

As acknak suggests, see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened it or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
Attachments
First file viewed in binary editor HxD is all nulls.
First file viewed in binary editor HxD is all nulls.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JohnSmith75

Post by JohnSmith75 »

I recently faced the problem of data loss and fortunately found an excellent service for recovery. cleverfiles helps to solve issues of deep complexity, an intuitive interface, Windows os support, trial period are also available . I hope it will help to solve your problem.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: live link disabled.
OpenOffice 2.4 with Linux Mint