Editing multiple hyperlinks

Discuss the word processor
Barri Hopkins

Editing multiple hyperlinks

Post by Barri Hopkins »

Hello
A user manual I wrote contains over 400 hyperlinks to small pdf files hosted on site A. These source files are in process of being transferred to site B, which means that part of the url for each named item in the odt version of the manual will have to be changed. I know I can do this item by item, but is there any way in which I could do some form of multiple editing? ( I am using OpenOffice 4.3.1 on Windows 10)
Barri
Open Office 3.1 Windows 7 (64bit)
RoryOF

Re: editing multiple hyperlinks

Post by RoryOF »

Use /Edit /Find and Replace, Find "siteA", Replace "siteB", Replace All.
 Edit: If regular Find and Replace doesn't search for text within hyperlinks (I haven't checked), try the AltSearch extension. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Barri Hopkins

Post by Barri Hopkins »

Thanks for prompt reply.
As you suspected, it doesn't work - it only appears to search the list of names/titles and not the underlying hyperlinks. How do I access AltSearch please?
Barri
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

AltSearch is in the extensions repository at
AltSearch
RoryOF

Re: Editing multiple hyperlinks

Post by RoryOF »

Another way to do this is to unzip the archive that forms an OO file, extract content.xml, then in a suitable editor find and replace SiteA with SiteB and save the file. Then reinsert content.xml into the archive.

This is not a method for the half-hearted or inexperienced; I would go so far as to say that most experienced users would not use this method until all other methods had failed, as one is at great risk of breaking the OO file, perhaps beyond repair.
Barri Hopkins

Post by Barri Hopkins »

Thanks - but that is not a road I shall be treading!
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

RoryOF wrote:Another way to do this is to unzip the archive that forms an OO file, extract content.xml, then in a suitable editor find and replace SiteA with SiteB and save the file. Then reinsert content.xml into the archive.

This is not a method for the half-hearted or inexperienced; I would go so far as to say that most experienced users would not use this method until all other methods had failed, as one is at great risk of breaking the OO file, perhaps beyond repair.
You should of course only do this on a copy of your original file just in case Murphy enters the room :D
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Barri Hopkins

Post by Barri Hopkins »

Thanks for your ready and prompt responses.
I have downloaded AltSearch and opened it - and as a novice, am bemused at the options. I have fumbled around and have got nowhere.
Would someone be kind - and patient - enough to set out the process, step by step, that I need to work through in order to change part of the urls underlying a group of item names.
Barri
mytus123

Post by mytus123 »

RoryOF wrote:robleyd
Hello,

I have similar issue as the owner of the thread, but on much bigger scale (about 10k+ links), I've tried your way and replaced part of links I had to change. It went pretty well to this point, and when I had to pack it back to one big .ods file I just tried to 'zip it up' with 7z using zip format and I've changed the name of file from file.zip to file.ods... so is it the correct way to do this? bc the file isn't starting anymore (it says that the file is damaged and ofc 'repair it' doesn't helps either), so I'm wondering if something with editting content.xml went wrong, or there is issue with my zipping way :oops:

BTW.: I've tried AltSearch also, but It seems like it's not supported anymore?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 with Windows 7 x64