[Solved+Issue] Writer Document "Read only"

Discuss the word processor
mystical_atheist

Re: [Solved+Issue] Writer Document "Read only"

Post by mystical_atheist »

Thanks Villeroy. I'll look into the "edit button", although I have no idea what it is. And thanks for the word on development stagnation. Is this a case of developers migrating to the project that interests them? It's helpful to know what software is still getting improvements.
open office 4.1.1 on Windows 7
mystical_atheist

Hi Villeroy, contrary to my last post, I do know what the edit button is. AhDuh. So apparently the lock operates when I have created a file on another machine, or maybe the lock didn't operate with the file being copied from a friendly environment (desktop), because the file that was locked before isn't locked now. Anyway, I am grateful for your paying attention! I will be shifting over to Libre.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

mystical_atheist wrote:Hi Villeroy, contrary to my last post, I do know what the edit button is. AhDuh. So apparently the lock operates when I have created a file on another machine, or maybe the lock didn't operate with the file being copied from a friendly environment (desktop), because the file that was locked before isn't locked now. Anyway, I am grateful for your paying attention! I will be shifting over to Libre.
Are you equating "read only" with "locked"? "Locking" occurs when a lock file is present. Locking isn't the only thing that causes files to open "read only". Was the thumb drive formatted NTFS on a different computer? If a file on a thumb drive opens "read only" but a copy of the file on the Desktop opens normally, then I'd suspect that the file permissions settings on the file on the thumb drive aren't allowing users to modify files on the thumb drive. That will cause the file to open "read only". When the file is copied to the Desktop, then the file permissions on the copy inherit permissions from the Desktop. Those permissions allow the user to modify the copy so the copy doesn't open "read only".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If you created the file on another machine, everything depends on the types of file systems on both machines and any removable medium, file ownership, attributes and if you are able to properly unmount an USB storage before pulling it off the machine.
This has nothing to do with OpenOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It's Windows doing it. Right-click the file. Unblock it if required.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (102.99 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mystical_atheist

I thought the conversation was over! I will look into these issues. Will report back. Thank you.