[Solved] Corrupt ODT

Discuss the word processor
kins

[Solved] Corrupt ODT

Post by kins »

Hi guys, my boyfriend was on the computer today, writing on LibreOffice, when the computer froze, made noise, realised it had a problem, tried to fix it then rebooted.

Logging back in, it appeared everything (all files and programs) had gone back 2 days - to when he installed LibreOffice. This meant that some writing he did on that day ('wordpress') (still where it always was in My Documents), was no longer a finished piece, now back to one paragraph. And that another piece of writing he had begun today just before the crash ('untitled'), no longer existed.

It looked like the computer had system restored, but upon inspection, there was no 'Undo System Restore' option, like if one had chosen to do so manually. The closest restore point to the present day was to this time period that it appears we had been taken to.

I searched high and low for autosaves, backups, etc, there wasn't even a backup folder within the LibreOffice folders on the system. I used Recuva and recovered all Libre and Word files available and any that looked like potentially useful backup/temp/etc files.

Opened the 2 ODTs I found (Recuva flagged 'wordpress' (not the old, openable file - but a file dating from today) as corrupted, and 'untitled' as fine) but both have corrupted text with none of the original material.

I've searched about on others' threads to fix this. On copies of the files, I changed their extensions to .zip but get this error upon extraction: 'The archive is either in unknown format or damaged'

I tried extracting the ODTs themselves, returning this error: 'No archives are found in selected files and folders'

Could anyone please help a sister out and tell me if I can take this recovery any further? Here's the 2 files. Thanks a bunch for reading.

1. 'wordpress' (this piece of writing was initially created 2 days ago, but this recovered file dates from today) http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1343519
2. 'untitled' (this one was created just before the crash today) http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1343522

If anyone's curious, looking through the Recuva files, it appears a Windows Update happened before the crash.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
LibreOffice 5.3 on Windows 10
acknak

Re: Corrupt ODT

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I was not able to find any recoverable data in either file.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened it or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.
You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
kins

Post by kins »

acknak wrote:Sorry, I was not able to find any recoverable data in either file.
Hi acknak, thank you very much for your time taken to check the files (which was done so promptly, too), I sincerely appreciate it. I've seen your posts around the site and am really impressed with your continuous support and help towards others. I haven't seen that anywhere else. You're awesome.
John_Ha wrote:See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened it or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.
You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
John Ha thank you ever so much for linking me that tutorial, I did not come across it before, and without your post I would not have been able to recover one of the files. Retrieving one out of two files has been more than amazing. My boyfriend and I are both very grateful for your comprehensive yet simple to follow guide.

I appreciate your efforts and my boyfriend sure appreciates your program. Thank you.
LibreOffice 5.3 on Windows 10