Problem with my files

Discuss the word processor
Rossano

Re: Problem with my files

Post by Rossano »

robleyd wrote:Is your computer a laptop with a touch pad?
Yes, it is (Packard Bell)
System 32 bit
Windows 7 H. P. service pack 1
First I had OpenOffice 2.1, then (trying to solve this problem) I downloaded the 3.1 and finally the 4.1 (which I' ve now in computer), BUT problem is still there.
By the way, isn' t it of any help the fact that when I had Vista (and OpenOffice 2.1) such problems didn' t occur ?

Could it be that Windows 7 above is not 100% compatible with OpenOffice
(or that OpenOffice is not 100% compatible with Windows 7) ?
If so, where is it (or which values are) to be modified (cancelled or added, etc.) ???
In other words, HOW is this nasty problem to be solved ???
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

This response is related to your issues with cursor positioning only. There have been a few people posting with laptops having their cursors move unexpectedly - try this search for some possible solutions.

I personally sometimes have odd things happen when typing posts on this (and other) forums which I assume are caused by me accidentally touching the pad on my laptop.

@MODS we have two different topics in this thread - can we split?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Rossano

Post by Rossano »

to Robleyd : in my case it is NEVER "accidentally touching the pad" BUT very often "pressing the space bar"
to MODS : for me it is OK (I only hope all people above will keep following both topics until positive final conclusions)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rossano wrote:Could it be that Windows 7 above is not 100% compatible with OpenOffice (or that OpenOffice is not 100% compatible with Windows 7) ?
It is not an AOO problem or a compatibility problem. It is almost certainly problem with how Windows has been set up on your PC.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Rossano

Post by Rossano »

John_Ha wrote:
Rossano wrote:Could it be that Windows 7 above is not 100% compatible with OpenOffice (or that OpenOffice is not 100% compatible with Windows 7) ?
It is not an AOO problem or a compatibility problem. It is almost certainly problem with how Windows has been set up on your PC.
Could be. So what do You suggest, to erase the Window 7 and insert what ? Maybe again Vista or another Windows 7 ? I guess that I shall let do it by a technician.....
P.S.: If something in Windows disturbs/prevents the opening of my files in O.O., I wonder why not from the beginning (in other words why in the beginning it correctly works and only after some time it stops opening my files).One last doubt:
I often open 2-4 files simultaneously, anything to do with my problem ?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rossano wrote:I open+close my files for a few hours then abruptly NO files can be opened (not even the links to the OpenOffice program). So I have to turn off+on my computer, and again I have access to my files, but after some time NO files can be opened again, etc. etc. etc. (this happens many times every day !)
 Edit: My apologies - I edited this post to copy some of it but unfortunately I deleted the original words in error :crazy: 
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

If all the above fails, ask the major. Friendly guidance towards a stable system is what you will find.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Rossano

Post by Rossano »

Thanks to all of You. I' ll obviously do what You suggest and in the next days I' ll give You a report.
Rossano

Post by Rossano »

Hello John, I first tried You solution, BUT it didn' t work (problem is still there)
To Your advices I must say that :
1) when I open my files there are never multiples of soffices, but always 1 exe + 1 bin only
2) There also are NO "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\.lock files"
3) by uninstalling AOO I was neither asked to save or not to save personal settings nor by installing the new AOO I was asked to use or not to use previous settings
At this point (once again very disappointed) I' all try other suggested solutions............
Rgds., Rossano
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Do the following test

0 Reboot the PC - this gets rid of any left over soffice.exe or soffice.bin
1 Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\swriter.exe. right-click it and create a short cut for it. Place the shortcut on the desktop
2 Double click the shortcut - this will start Writer
3 Go File > Open ..., and navigate to a document. Click the document. Click Open. This will open the document
4 If you want another document open as well, go File > Open ..., as above

Continue working like this for a few days - does that fix the problem?
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When OpenOffice is running correctly, there will always be an instance in TaskManager of "soffice.exe" and "soffice.bin"; these are to be expected as they are the running instances.

When OpenOffice is closed (including the QuickStarter), there should be no such instances of "soffice" showing in TaskManager; if there are, these are leftover after some form of improper closedown of OO and ought be deleted. Such leftover instances can prevent correct functioning of OO, usually showing up as failure to startup.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Rossano

Post by Rossano »

OK John, I' ll do Your new test..........
Infact Rory when I close my files the instances of Soffices exe + bin (always 1 each only) immediately disappear from the TaskManager
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rossano wrote:Infact Rory when I close my files the instances of Soffices exe + bin (always 1 each only) immediately disappear from the TaskManager
That is working correctly.

Please be sure to follow my instructions precisely and describe exactly what happens - it should enable us to diagnose where the problem lies.

Rossano

Post by Rossano »

John_Ha wrote:Do the following test

0 Reboot the PC - this gets rid of any left over soffice.exe or soffice.bin
1 Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\swriter.exe. right-click it and create a short cut for it. Place the shortcut on the desktop
2 Double click the shortcut - this will start Writer
3 Go File > Open ..., and navigate to a document. Click the document. Click Open. This will open the document
4 If you want another document open as well, go File > Open ..., as above

Continue working like this for a few days - does that fix the problem?
For a few days ? You mean for a few minutes.....
I did what You suggested above, but already after some minutes I could open neither my documents/files nor the shortcut swriter.exe nor OpenOffice 4.1.3
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please tell us EXACTLY what you did in mind numbingly boring detail. Saying "It doesn't work" does not give us any information. We need to knw the EXACT step at which it failed and EXACTLY how it failed and what message, if any, you got.

So try steps 0 through 4 again.

Tell us EXACTLY what happens after Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 and Step 4 and whether the files open OK. Make sure you are opening .odt files.

Tell us EXACTLY what you then do to make it stop working.

Tell us EXACTLY what happens when it stops working.

Rossano

Post by Rossano »

Sorry for the boring details, I only meant to cooperate...
As written, all my files are ".doc" (I have + work on about 100...).
I tryed to open a few files ".odt" but result is negative too....
P.S.: when files don' t get open the only way is to turn off my computer, but just before it closes it appears : "in order to close the program which prevents the restart of Windows click on "cancel". Could this have to to do with my problem, and if so where/which is the Windows program making troubles ?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rossano wrote:Sorry for the boring details
Don't apologise - we want the details in mind numbingly detail!!

Please explain exactly what you are doing at each and every step. Use words like:

1 I created the shortcut as explained.
2 I clicked the shortcut - Writer started - everything look OK
3 I went File > Open ..., and I navigated to ...\Fred\Tom.doc. I selected Tom.doc. Tom.doc opened and I could edit it OK.
4 I went File > Open ..., and I navigated to ...\Harry\Dick.doc. I selected dick.doc. Dick.doc opened and I could edit it OK.
5 I then ... and describe what you did to cause it to stop working.

The bits in red describing what happens when you do it are critically important.

Rossano

Post by Rossano »

I created the shortcut as explained
I clicked the shortcut and it appears the file "without name 1 - OpenOffice Writer"
I went to File>Open (then it appears "Documents")
I navigated to my folder "Heer-1" and I selected "InfDiv1.doc"
I opened it and could edit it. After 5 minutes I closed it.
I selected "InfDiv2" (BUT wrongly NOT going to the shortcut again. I bypassed it and tried to open it (simply double-clicking on it) from my folder directly, but it DIDN' T OPEN. In that moment not even the shortcut could be opened.
I do nothing special. I only open + edit + close my files until suddenly all files don' t open any more. Very simple.
I am trying again starting from the shortcut and opening my files ONLY via shortcut in the hope it changes something enabling me to work some days without continuous interruptions (but I' m quite skeptical....)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rossano wrote:I selected "InfDiv2" (BUT wrongly NOT going to the shortcut again. I bypassed it and tried to open it (simply double-clicking on it) from my folder directly, but it DIDN' T OPEN. In that moment not even the shortcut could be opened.
Note that you can always open a file by using the shortcut to start Writer, and going File > Open ...

The problem is because you have lost the association between OpenOffice and .doc (and .odt etc) files.

Go Start > Default Programs > Set Your Default Programs (or Start > Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your Default Programs). Choose Set Your Default Programs. Scroll to OpenOffice and give it all its defaults.
Clipboard01.png
If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

John_Ha wrote:My apologies - I edited this post to copy some of it but unfortunately I deleted the original words in error :crazy:
Sorry, no back-up that I know of with the forum software.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:The problem is because you have lost the association between OpenOffice and .doc (and .odt etc) files.

Go Start > Default Programs > Set Your Default Programs (or Start > Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your Default Programs). Choose Set Your Default Programs. Scroll to OpenOffice and give it all its defaults.
Has that solved the problem?

If so please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.

Rossano

Post by Rossano »

Since Yesterday I am opening editing closing my files via shortcut (as per Your previous suggestion) and until now no such a problem occurred. I intend to go this way for a couple of days more (to be certain that it will never occur again), and then I' ll follow/do Your last suggestion above
P.S.: I am not so sure that I understand Your last line (in words yes but not quite in computer terms...)
"click the Edit button (what/where is it ?) on your original post (what do You mean exactly ?) and add [Solved] (what do You mean exactly ?) in front of your subject (which subj. ?)
Will You kindly give me a possible example of my "original post" "add [solved]" and "in front of Your subject" ? Sorry + Thanks !
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Rossano wrote:...
P.S.: I am not so sure that I understand Your last line (in words yes but not quite in computer terms...)
"click the Edit button (what/where is it ?) on your original post (what do You mean exactly ?) and add [Solved] (what do You mean exactly ?) in front of your subject (which subj. ?)
Will You kindly give me a possible example of my "original post" "add [solved]" and "in front of Your subject" ? Sorry + Thanks !
When you are logged in and viewing this thread, there is an "edit" button in the top left corner of each of your posts. This means you can edit your own posts (there will be a remark on edited posts to show that they have been changed after they have been replied to).

The subject line of the very first post is also the subject line that appears in the forum page. Select page 1 of the thread, and scroll to the top. Edit that first post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Rossano

Post by Rossano »

Hello John

As written, Yesterday and today I tried to work, opening editing and closing my files, BUT so far via shortcut ONLY, and no problems occurred, so I am very pleased.
THANKS for the suggestion ! Shall I now do the next step (below) You suggested ?

"Go Start > Default Programs > Set Your Default Programs (or Start > Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your Default Programs). Choose Set Your Default Programs. Scroll to OpenOffice and give it all its defaults".

Rgds., Rossano

P.S.: in Default Programs OpenOffice is not listed (there are Wordpad, Windows Media, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, etc. but not OpenOffice), and in the Control Panel there is no Default Programs, so what now ???
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Yes - you need to create the link. If you cannot see AOO in the list of programs then click Browse and navigate to c:\Program Files (86)\Open Office\program\swriter.exe and give it all its defaults. That will do it for wordprocessing. If you navigate to ...\soffice.exe and give it all its defaults you do it for Writer, Calc, Draw and Impress.

Rossano

Post by Rossano »

To get to "swriter" I simply type the name in the "search programs" of "start".
Else the full address I have to get to it is : c:\programs\OpenOffice4\program\
There I find both swriter and soffice.exe. I don' t have "program files (86)"
Now (pls. pardon my ignorance) how do I "give it"(them both) "all its"(their) defaults ??? Kindly step by step....THANKS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

This is a Windows problem, not an OpenOffice problem.

Google set default programs or set file association for full instructions.

Rossano

Post by Rossano »

after clicking "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" I am asked to click the file type or protocol that I want the program to act as the default for.
IN MY CASE which file type or protocol do I need (to get to swriter + soffice), and where do I find them ? THANKS
Rossano

Post by Rossano »

P.S.: Yesterday I wrote :
"As written, Yesterday and today I tried to work, opening editing and closing my files, BUT so far via shortcut ONLY, and no problems occurred, so I am very pleased"
I was too quick ! Infact this afternoon (while still working via shortcut only) swriter suddenly didn' t open (and my files didn' t open as well). So I had to turn off+on my computer again, as usual...
Rossano

Post by Rossano »

THANKS to all who tried to help me (particularly John). I really did appreciate !
As I told You I am not expert/familiar with Windows (and OpenOffice as well), BUT I wonder why I (or other inexperts like me) should go crazy to "ADJUST/FIX" values in links in Windows to allow OpenOffice to properly work. Years ago (when I had Vista) I downloaded OpenOffice 2.1 and I had to do/adjust NOTHING and it worked perfectly. The same thing should happen now with Windows 7 (I mean, OpenOffice SHOULD adapt itself perfectly to Windows 7, once downloaded, WITHOUT me needing to change anything like soffices, defaults, protocols, etc., in Windows or in OpenOffice. As this doesn' t happen it is evident that OpenOffice has serious problems with Windows 7 in spite of Your Assurance that AOO works perfectly (this is not true, at least not in my case as problem is still there). Too bad ! Regards.