Too fast scrolling

Discuss the word processor
Tatiana

Too fast scrolling

Post by Tatiana »

In the Writer too fast is scrolling by the touchpad. In browsers and text editor of Windows normal speed. In the settings is scroll by 3 lines. Notebook Asus X556U, Windows 10, drivers are installed.
OpenOffice 4.1.3, Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Too fast scrolling

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

Writer does not have an adjustment for scrolling other than Tools > Options > OOWriter > View > Smooth scroll.

The User Interface controls are at Tools > Options > OO > View > User Interface.

You can vary the Touchpad settings by going to W10 Settings > Touchpad (or possibly Control Panel > Mouse > Touchpad or Control Panel > Touchpad.

If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Just a tip:

Drag your finger slowly.

( :bravo: it's a joke only... :lol: )
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try a USB mouse.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Tatiana

Post by Tatiana »

Checkmark "smooth scrolling" does not help. USB mouse scroll normally.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the mouse works correctly and the touchpad incorrectly, then perhaps you should try (at Windows system level) testing other drivers for your touchpad.
Tatiana

Post by Tatiana »

But the problem with the scroll only in the OpenOffice. I bought the notebook most recently, there are new drivers and system license.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the LibreOffice, maybe it has different behavior...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Tatiana

Post by Tatiana »

LibreOffice has the same problem :( . Internet write this old problem, and it does not solve the years. :cry:
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This suggestion has been offered on a number of threads. I cannot vouch for its suitability; also, if you are in any doubt about applying it, either don't apply it, or seek informed local help.
1. Right-click the touchpad icon in your system tray. (Synaptics)

2. Choose 'Pointing device properties'

3. Go to the 'Wheel' tab

4. In the first section 'Vertical Scrolling' > 'Roll the wheel one notch to scroll: ' you select 'The following number of lines at the time:', and change its default value '3' to something lower for example '1' or '2'.
Tatiana

Post by Tatiana »

:D This is not a solution. Then all other applications start to scroll too slow.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then what do YOU want to do?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Write a small .bat program to invoke the touchpad settings for AOO and another to reset them.

Start AOO by a batch file which first runs the small program, and then starts AOO, and runs the reset program when AOO ends.

Google for more help.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Tatiana

Post by Tatiana »

RoryOF wrote:Then what do YOU want to do?
If I knew what to do, I would not ask)). I thought the developers read the forum and fix this unacceptable problem.
Tatiana

Post by Tatiana »

John_Ha wrote:Write a small .bat program to invoke the touchpad settings for AOO and another to reset them.

Start AOO by a batch file which first runs the small program, and then starts AOO, and runs the reset program when AOO ends.

Google for more help.
That is, I will not be able to use the browser and Writer simultaneously and everywhere to have a normal scrolling?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The choice is yours: adjust the scrolling on the touchpad to find an acceptable compromise for OpenOffice and other applications, or use John_Ha's suggestion. Developers do not frequent this site.

You also have the option of using a touchpad for most applications and a USB mouse for OO.
Tatiana

Post by Tatiana »

I added the problem in the bug tracker, and until use scrollbar.
IUsedToLinuxAlot

Post by IUsedToLinuxAlot »

I came to this thread because I have the exact same problem. To the dotards telling this poor guy to "change your OS wide settings or get a USB mouse" .... that is completely ridiculous. The program obviously has a bug...it's not personal unless you wrote the code that contributes to the flaw experienced by the user. Sure he and I and anyone else could go grab a USB mouse. Yeah i could temporarily change my system-wide touchpad scroll settings JUST for this one application and then change it back when i'm done...lather rinse repeat every time i come back to openoffice...i mean do you really think that was a helpful suggestion?

maybe my USB mouse is at work. or, to give you an actual glimpse into my life...maybe i am sitting on the couch while my sick 3 year old watches Moana at 5:30 in the morning after coughing himself awake and then throwing up all over the bed, and I'm just trying to update some old notes from college for a lecture I'm giving today in class, and my USB mouse wouldn't be so helpful here at my desk made of mounded up blankets on my lap.

I do confess that part of the reason I moved on from using Linux for years is this very same type of attitude i witnessed for a variety of problems described in forums for the common OSS that people use with popular Linux distros. Now, I no doubt bet some of the people providing support to Windows or Mac software are equally petulant...however I wouldn't know because microsoft office scrolls at the right speed so i don't have to visit any friggin forums!!! I just don't get why people like the ones posting above have to be so gosh darn apologists for the damn software. get a life! forums like this were designed to help users share information about common issues they were having...and they actually USED to be helpful

/endrant...back to work (is MSOffice w/ good scrolling)...just couldn't believe some of the comments above
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Rik4444

Post by Rik4444 »

hi, i just wanted to reply to this post because i experience exactly the same thing:
1. scrolling with a mouse is fine in LibreOffice
2. Scrolling with a laptop keypad is way too fast - so fast it's unusable
3. scrolling with keypad in other programmes is fine, so scrolling down overall keypad scrolling would make scrolling in those programmes too slow
I understand one of the others posted this on a bugposting page, can you give me the link so i can support it?
Rik
Last edited by robleyd on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove Toxic Issue icon [robleyd, moderator]
Libreoffice 6.0.6.2 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The previous poster didn't give a link to the report they made but it was in respect of OpenOffice, not LO; perhaps if you search in the ODF bugzilla you may find something.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
dwarka

Post by dwarka »

I can confirm that the bug is not in OpenOffice. The problem is with Windows 10. I saw the same behaviour in Adobe Acrobat Reader, Libre Office and Open Office but not in the browser. It is probably a Windows 10 update which broke touchpad scrolling for all applications installed via installers instead of the official appstore (this is a wild guess).

Try this: In Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center, select your device, and then select Basic settings. Depending on the mouse model you are using, select Wheel or Touch Strip. Select Identify programs that don’t scroll correctly.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
healtotoe

Post by healtotoe »

Here is a solution:
1. In Windows Settings>Devices>Mouse: Set the number of lines to scroll all the way to the left for 1 line at a time.
2. On the right side of the window click "Additional Mouse Settings"
a. A new window will pop up. Frequently, there is a separate tab for the unique settings for you track pad (eg. ELAN for many HP machines). Click this tab and then the Options button.
b. Change the Edge Scroll or similar option to fast.
3. Now, when you use OpenOffice or LibreOffice, two fingered scrolling will be acceptable. It will be slow in other apps but, then you can use the Edge Scroll with an acceptable speed.
LibreOffice on Windows 10 using Version: 6.3.1.2
edwardsrandy
Banned

Post by edwardsrandy »

I also continue to experience the too fast scrolling problem in BOTH Apache Open Office and Libre Office. I switched to LO because of the reverse dragging problem in AOO that I could not find a solution for and about which many have complained and asked for a solution -- but is resolved in LO.

I am running Win10 on a fairly modern Acer Laptop that has a precision touchpad. I agree with previous posters about the unacceptability of lame so-called replies that suggest changing the scrolling speed etc. through the Win settings. Doing that does not solve the problem, and then the touchpad is unusuable (way too slow) in Win10 applications. There must be millions of users like me that use Win10 and AOO or LO and have this unsolved problem. The last "solution" in this thread used touchpad settings that are not availablel in my common Win10 settings.

Someone needs to fix this bug for us millions. I don't care if you cannot replicate the problem on your machine. I don't care if you don't use or like my Win10 touchpad driver...it is all I have and millions use it.

The fix needs to be made to AOO and LO.
[url=httxp://drugstore-onlinecatalog.cxom/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

edwardsrandy wrote:I am running Win10 on a fairly modern Acer Laptop that has a precision touchpad.
Check that you have the correct driver for the Touchpad. Acer does not provide a W10 driver for an old laptop (it came with W8).

Do a test: Is it OK when you boot in Safe Mode?

If the purpose of scrolling is to highlight text then use the Windows function:

1. left-click at the start of the text
2. scroll
3. hold SHIFT and left-click the end of the text.

All in between is now highlighted and selected.
edwardsrandy wrote:Someone needs to fix this bug for us millions.
Submit a bug report.
edwardsrandy wrote:I don't care if you cannot replicate the problem on your machine. I don't care if you don't use or like my Win10 touchpad driver...it is all I have and millions use it.
That's entirely up to you but if development cannot reproduce the problem your bug report will be marked Unconfirmed and ignored.

JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Probably not what you want but I wrote a simple scroller for Writer a while ago, in case its any use.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=97630
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)