[Solved] Save specific font format setting

Discuss the word processor
JamesEJ

[Solved] Save specific font format setting

Post by JamesEJ »

Hello. These tired old eyes need the best suited larger most readable font.

On prior searches I found two font setting methods. This font setting, method 1, below works good for me:

Method 1: click Format > styles and Formatting > right click on default and choose Modify > Font.

Nice deal ! I can even copy real small online font & its pastes per my setting. YAY!!!

The rub is that it does not stay put. Sooner or later it disappears.

Question is How to make a certain & lasting SAVE of that font setting so it stays put Period?

Sure appreciate the help guys, Jim
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: HOW SAVE FONT FORMAT SETTING SPECIFIC

Post by John_Ha »

What you probably want to do is to set the Default font to a larger point size. Then anything you type will be that size, and anything you paste will, if pasted unformatted (Edit > Paste Special > Unformatted ...) pick up and use the larger font.

1 Set the Default font to, say, 14 points. Start Writer > File > New > Text document. DO NOT TYPE ANYTHING - just go F11to open the Styles and Formatting pop-up window. Go to the Paragraph Styles tab. Right click Default > Modify ... which opens the next window. Go to the Font tab and choose the font and size you want. Click OK.
Clipboard03.png
2 You now need to save this as the Default template so it is always used when you create a new document. See [Tutorial] Creating a new default template which says:

1 From the File menu, choose Templates -> Save.
2 Give the template a name - perhaps BigFont
3 Select a category in the Categories list (for example, My Templates).
4 Click OK to save the template.
5 Choose File -> Templates -> Organize.
6 In the Categories list, double-click on the My Templates folder.
7 Right-click on BigFont and choose Set as Default Template from the menu.
8 Click the Close button.

If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Re: HOW SAVE FONT FORMAT SETTING SPECIFIC

Post by RoryOF »

How about /Tools /Options/ OpenOffice Writer : Basic Fonts and change the font sizes from the default 12/14 points to (say) 20/18 pts?

You will need to access /Tools /Options from within Writer to get the OpenOfice Writer option. You may also need to restart OpenOffice to get this to take (I haven't tested the need for a restart).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JamesEJ

SOLVED Re: HOW SAVE FONT FORMAT SETTING SPECIFIC

Post by JamesEJ »

@ RoryOF Yeah had that setting to but liked the results less and it also went away without notice. What did it was the Templet setup on the original Method 1 setting. Marking solved. Thanks All, Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Re: [Solved] Save specific font format setting

Post by JamesEJ »

Been a while. Those font sizes & format settings that John Helped me with worked wonders. :D Thanks John! Then my old trusty windows 7 pc bit the dust and along with my Oo settings. Now with a new win 10 pc, I am trying to again get those permanent fonts & format settings setup again like before. But when I go thru the same setup ritual, then later open up a new document the font size change from 12 to 22 and format to bold, does not stay put. Any ideas Please? Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Re: [Solved] Save specific font format setting

Post by JamesEJ »

OOoops! I double-checked and realized I did not fully follow John's instructions. Did it again & now it works. Thanks again John. Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium