[Solved] Red squiggly lines on everything I write

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Red squiggly lines on everything I write

Postby Fred22 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:14 pm

No matter what I type into the word processor, common words that I know are not misspelled will be underlined with the red squigley lines as if it were misspelled. If I took this message that I'm now writing and pasted it into the word processor, every word would be marked in red. How do I fix this? Is there a way to turn this option off (auto correct or whatever ir is). I like this app, except for this problem. I wish you had the option off uploading screenshots so I could show an example, but I think someone will know what I mean. Help...Please.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.1 ON Windows 10
Fred22

Re: RED SQUIGLEY LINES ON EVERTHING I WRITE

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Use the Forum Search box to search for squiggly lines. You'll find many answers.
AOO 4.1.7 on Manjaro Cinnamon
Bill
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:21 pm

There is an option to upload screenshots, but the fix for your red line problem is to delete or rename your OO user profile.

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Delete or Rename the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Fred22 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:28 pm

I don't understand your reply. I don't know what my O O profile is. Isn't there an easy way to fix this problem. It's obviously some sort of glitch.
Fred22

Postby RoryOF » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Do exactly what I told you - this is the fix.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:37 pm

In Windows 10, you can click the Start button, then paste %appdata%\openoffice\4 in the Search box and press Enter. File Explorer should open with the "user" folder in the File Explorer Window. The "user" folder is your user profile. The "glitch" is corruption in this folder. Rename the "user" folder and restart OpenOffice. A new uncorrupted user folder will be created.
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Fred22 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Thank you very much. I copied and pasted phrase you suggested, changed the name and now there are no red squigly lines. Did this change my version of O O, because now I'm getting a notification re an update or something. I don't think I'll change anything because my problem seems to be solved.
Fred22

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:12 pm

When you reset the user profile, it installs the dictionary which came with the program download. This dictionary has been updated several times since then. That's why you're getting the update message.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Red squiggly lines on everything I write

Postby Fred22 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks again...all is well.
Fred22

Postby RoryOF » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:53 pm

To prevent this happening again, be leisurely in your closing down of the computer after properly closing your OO file and OO. Use the formal computer closedown procedure and wait for a few seconds to be certain all disk activity has ceased - damage to the spellchecker often occurs if the computer is powered down before the hardware/software write buffers have flushed. The few extra seconds will be less than the time needed to correct the problem, or, more likely, to rebuild a damaged file which can also occur through such over-hasty shutdown.
RoryOF

Postby Fred22 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:11 pm

Thanks for the tip. This forum has been very helpful. Thanks to all.
Fred22

Postby Fred22 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:22 pm

Open Office apparently updated without my permission and the red squiggly lines are back. I was able to find the phrase and put it in the search box and change my user name, but each time I do this I have to re-register and red lines are back. Now what do I do?
Fred22

Postby RoryOF » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:43 pm

You should not have to do this. The red squiggly lines arise because the computer has been powered off too hastily after OpenOffice has been closed. The internal housekeeping was not complete and one of its files was not fully written, perhaps because of delayed writes from the software/hardware write buffering.

To prevent this happening again, always use the formal computer shut down procedure and wait a few seconds after getting the confirmation message for all disk activity to cease. It is only a mater of a few seconds; even cumulatively these will amount to less than the time taken to fix the problem or (worse still) repair a damaged file (which is also a possibility).

By the way, a genuine OpenOffice does not update silently. You must download the file (a full install - there are no incremental updates) and then install this; it will not install if any part of OpenOffice is in use or open on the computer.
RoryOF

Postby Fred22 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:44 pm

I think I have red line issue solved (for now). I always shut down as you suggest. O O just updated my app without my permission and that cased the red line issue again. Thanks for your reply.
Fred22

Postby RoryOF » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:51 pm

You should check that you have an OpenOffice downloaded only from http://www.openoffice.org/download As far as I know, having used OO in all editions since 2007, it does not update automatically or incrementally.
RoryOF

Postby Fred22 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:20 pm

I'm not sure what happened, but when I opened OO, I got a pop up that asked for my name to register the product. That's what made me think I was updated. After I changed my user name (to get rid of the red lines) I started getting a message that said "extensions" were available. Perhaps these extensions were added...not getting the message any more....red squiggly lines gone (except for words that are indeed misspelled).
Fred22

Postby RoryOF » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:52 pm

After one delete or renames the User profile, OpenOffice needs you to identify yourself so it knows which are your files. This why it asks you for name/initials. Then it tells you that some pre-installed extensions - usually the English dictionary - has been undated, which typically happens every month, so it asks for permission to get the update; in the case of the English dictionary it starts your browser to allow this be downloaded. You then need to double click on the downloaded .oxt file to install this.
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:40 pm

Fred22 wrote:I ... changed the name ...

Did you go back and delete the changed name folder?

If you did not, it would assist us greatly if you could send the folder and all its contents to

send to.png
send to.png (1.09 KiB) Viewed 5048 times

so that the reason for this happening can be analysed.

Work is being done now to give users a simple way of fixing the (unfortunately rather common) "red squiggly lines" problem and having your data - there is nothing personal in what you would send - would help the analysis.

The easiest way for you to do it is to create a ZIP file of the "changed name folder" is probably:

1 right-click the Desktop > New > Compressed ZIP folder ... Name the ZIP folder created profile - Windows adds the .zip

2 right-click the "changed name folder" > Copy

3 double click on profile.zip to enter the folder > right-click inside profile.zip > Paste

You have now created a ZIP file profile.ZIP of your corrupted profile. Either send me profile.zip by email or upload fprofile.zip to a file share site like your Dropbox or Google Drive, or mediashare.com - it will be too big to upload here.

Many thanks.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:52 pm

I post here to note that John_Ha's request in the previous email is not phishing for personal details - should there be any within the file, one can rely on his discretion. A copy of the "bad" folder (as he requests) will help in the investigation of this "lost spellcheck" problem.

RoryOF, Moderator.
RoryOF

Return to Writer