Get .odg files into text document?

Discuss the word processor
asherblackfoot

Get .odg files into text document?

Post by asherblackfoot »

What is the best way to get a series of odg files into an odt file?
Windows 10
Office 4.1.1
MrProgrammer

Re: Get .odg files into text document?

Post by MrProgrammer »

asherblackfoot wrote:What is the best way to get a series of odg files into an odt file?
Insert → Object → OLE Object → Create from File → Link to file → Search → {locate your ODG file} → Open → OK.
Repeat for additional files.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A different method is to create an image and insert the image.

1 Zoom the drawing to the size you want (or to full screen if you want a high resolution image)
2 Press PrtScr. This copies the screen image to the clipboard. If you prerss Alt + PrtScr you copy only the active window
3 Open an image editor (I use the excellent, free IrfanView) and paste the clipboard contents.
4 Crop to size and/or resample to change the pixel count and/or reduce the number of colours (to reduce file size).
5 File > Save As ..., and choose PNG or GIF - do not choose JPG. JPG is ONLY for photos!

Now insert the saved image into Writer.

Note that Mr Programmer's method brings the drawn items into the document as vectors - it is a vector based image - and the image can be zoomed to whatever size required. This method bring in pixels - it is a raster based image - and, as you zoom in, the image will pixelate.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
asherblackfoot

Post by asherblackfoot »

Hi - Mr. Programmer,
Thanks for your response. I tried it but when the imported object was put in the new page (which had the same dimensions - 8 by 8) it was much smaller than the .odt page and when I tried to fix it by zooming the object was warped and still wouldn't fit.

I didn't try the second suggestion - about changing the files to images.
So maybe I need to give that a try.

But is there any better way to do this - to get around the warping?
Maybe I need to use a different word processor?

Thanks sincerely,
asher
Windows 10
Office 4.1.1
asherblackfoot

Post by asherblackfoot »

Hi John,
Now I have tried the first suggestion by Mr. Programmer and your method using Irfan View.
Using the first method the zoom could not bring the image to a neat fit in the page I was inserting it into.
And with Irfan View, it was as you said, the image becomes pixelated when brought to a bigger size.
I really need something that is 100% as legible as the original. :knock:
Is there anything I can do?

These are pages with background colors and text over them.
Do I need to use Microsoft Word?
Thanks to both of you.
Your help is really appreciated.

Ash
Windows 10
Office 4.1.1
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

asherblackfoot wrote: Using the first method the zoom could not bring the image to a neat fit in the page I was inserting it into.
Press SHIFT while dragging the green handle - this forces the insert to keep the same aspect ratio. If you just drag you will change the aspect ratio.

Do you have something well off to one side which makes the drawing extend to larger than you think? Zoom out to check and go Edit > Select All. Perhaps select what you want to put into the .odt and create a new .odg with just the selection. If you still have problems upload a small example .odg file with the problem.

See attached circle.odg which came in perfectly using Mr Programmer's method.
Attachments
circle document.odt
(17.18 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
circle.odg
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
asherblackfoot

Post by asherblackfoot »

Hi John thanks.
It seems to need cropped selection as you suspected.
Thought I did this, but when I went to insert OLE it inserted the uncropped version of the page. :ucrazy:

I tried to upload the docs but the file size was too big.
Thanks for your help.
Windows 10
Office 4.1.1
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

When you insert a .odg file, all the content gets inserted. If you have something you don't want you must delete it before inserting the file. Hence my suggestion to select what you do want and copy it to a new empty file, save it and import that new file.

If I import my A4 circle into a smaller A5 document it is scaled down to fit the smaller A5 page.

If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.

asherblackfoot

Post by asherblackfoot »

Hi John, I don't know why it's not working.
The OLE file is selected to not include anything but the desired contents, and it is saved that way.
When I import it, a larger selection is made for some reason.

I don't know what you mean by A4 or A5; the formatting is "OLE".
Thanks John.
Windows 10
Office 4.1.1
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A4 and A5 are page sizes where A4 = 295mm x 210mm and 2 x A5 = 1 x A4.

The OLE process brings in the entire file and not just any selection you may have chosen.

If you send the .odg file to the email below [deleted] I will look at it.

GridLok

Post by GridLok »

I know this post was first presented in 2016, and the last reply was in 2017, but it does not seem to have been marked "Solved" … is it still open? In any event I shall post a comment here AND as a new thread:

I found I had, for whatever reason saved online documents as .odg files, instead of as .pdf files, and wanted to convert them into text (.odt) files. The work-around I settled on, while a little tedious was to:
1. Export the .odg file as a .pdf
2. Open the .pdf in Preview (I work on a Mac)
3. Select all text (Command-A), and copy (Command-C)
4. Open a new .odt document (Standard procedure)
5. Paste (Command-V)
6. Edit to suit: Select All and use Style List (Paragraph tab) to convert to preferred font (Default); Delete unwanted text; Where necessary convert to default font and paragraph formatting, individual lines of text not affected by the previous action … for reasons I do not have time to discover, "Select All and use Style List (Paragraph tab) to convert to preferred font (Default)" does not catch every paragraph.

HAVE JUST NOTICED THAT THIS POST APPEARED IN THE CURRENT WRITER LIST, SO WILL NOT REPOST.
"To find the right answer, first find the right question"
OpenOffice org. 4.1.4
OO414m5(Build:9788) - Rev. 1811857
2017-10-16 22:12:14 (Mon, 16 Oct 2017) - Darwin x86_64
Mac OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra)
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

it does not seem to have been marked "Solved" … is it still open
We will know if the OP is still interested if they respond.

As I understand it, the original question was about how to insert a number of .odg files into a single Writer document, whereas your post deals with 'converting' .odg files to Writer files; this may be unrelated to the original question..
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

File > Export ..., allows you to export a .odg page as an image file. Insert the image.
Attachments
Clipboard02.gif