Open Office Documents Not Opening?

Discuss the word processor
Antler

Open Office Documents Not Opening?

Post by Antler »

Today I installed Open Office 4.1.2., before I had nothing on my new computer other than Wordpad, which came with my labtop/Windows 7.
Since downloading OO, I successfully and without thought created an OOWriter document. After typing and making tables into the document, I closed it. Then later, I came back to make another document. And suddenly, OO acts like it isn't here. :ucrazy:
I left click and select that I want to make an OOWriter document. I get a loading symbol, no document opens.
I try the Open Office shortcut link on my desktop, and double click. I get a loading symbol but nothing happens.
Then I go to my original OO document, and select Wordpad to open it. It opens. I close it.
I select Open Office to open it. I receive a loading symbol, and the OO document does not open up.

Why did OO allow me to create and edit a document, but will not let me open it now that it's closed?
Why will OO no longer allow me to create another document through the shortcut link on my desktop, even though it did earlier?
And perhaps more importantly...How do i get my documents to open with OO?
:? Do I need to download a previous version of Open Office?
Last edited by floris v on Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed topic icon (related to heated debates), floris v, moderator
Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Open Office Documents Not Opening?

Post by RoryOF »

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) then kill all "soffice" processes shown on TM's Processes tab (Details tab on Win 10). Then exit TM and try to start OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

How do i get my documents to open with OO?
Try starting Writer and going > File > Open ..., and navigating to the document.

If you cannot find Writer go Start > All programs > OpenOffice > Writer..., or click on C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.exe or C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\swriter.exe.

Have you lost the association between .odt etc files and Writer? Start > Control Panel > Default Programs ..., and set AOO to have all its default file types.

If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
CaroCaro

Post by CaroCaro »

RoryOF wrote:Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) then kill all "soffice" processes shown on TM's Processes tab (Details tab on Win 10). Then exit TM and try to start OpenOffice.
THANKS RoryOF this worked for me :D :D
Tried to view your profile to Thank You but unable too :(
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows10