[Solved] Replacing paragraph mark..

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Replacing paragraph mark..

Postby maya90 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:37 pm

hi,

how do you replace paragraph marks, tabs, etc.. in Open Office Writer? (in MS Word, you would type, for example, ^p for paragraph mark, but this is not working in Open Office.. how do you do this in OO pls..) thank you very much..
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu May 26, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista
maya90

Re: replacing paragraph mark..

Postby acknak » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:37 pm

OOo uses a far more powerful (but also far more complicated, and at the same time less complete) feature:
Regular Expressions in Writer [OOo wiki]
AOO 4 • Linux • Fedora 17
acknak

Re: replacing paragraph mark..

Postby r4zoli » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:46 pm

Welcome on board,
before posting please read first, the Survival Guide, try to search on forum and you get the answers faster.

I think viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6818 this link gives answer your question, you problem using regular expression. Good tutorial on oooninja webpage.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Replacing paragraph mark..

Postby popeye » Fri May 20, 2011 1:29 am

Oh dear. I have the same question: can someone tell me where to look for the answer please? I am not sure I have the time or the disposition to go and research regexp to find out how to perform a simple "search and replace for paragraph marks" operation.
Word makes it easy. BBEdit makes it easy.Why should it be so difficult in OpenOffice?
Thanks.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Mac OS X
popeye

Postby acknak » Fri May 20, 2011 2:41 am

There are a bunch of handy examples here: Regular expression samples [OOoNinja]

If you want specific suggestions, you'll have to tell us exactly what you're trying to do--replace paragraph marks with what? What are you trying to accomplish?
acknak

Postby popeye » Fri May 20, 2011 4:26 am

Thanks acknak, but I am really not a programmer and cannot understand those examples. I am a plain, boring user, trying to move away from MS Office. I didn't realise it could be so time consuming.
So I'll try to explain what I am trying to accomplish, although I assure you I have no need to consider examples when performing Search and Replace operations in all the other text editors/word processors I am familiar with (Word, BBEdit, Nisus, TextEdit, many others).
In this particular case, I wanted to reflow some text where an email program had broken off the lines at 80 characters or so. In BBEdit (for example), I know I can do that by entering \n in the search field, and whatever value I wish in the replace field (could be a space, a tab, a || or any other "marker" if I wish). So how do I accomplish this in OO Writer? Thanks.
popeye

Postby MrProgrammer » Fri May 20, 2011 7:57 am

Take a look at Alternative dialog Find & Replace for Writer. If the page is slow to load, try again later. They seem to be making infrastructure changes to some of the OOo pages and sometimes they aren't available.
Mr. Programmer
OpenOffice 3.2.0 Build 9483 on Mac OS X 10.6.8.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer
Volunteer

Postby acknak » Fri May 20, 2011 2:51 pm

Edit > Find & Replace
Search for: $
Replace with: space (or whatever)
Options/Regular expressions: ON (checked)

Click "Replace all".

Note that this is a special case. When you use "$" all alone, it is treated as the actual line break for purpose of replacement. That is not the case when you use $ along with other things in the "Search for" field. For example, you can't use "$$" to search for two consecutive line breaks.
acknak

Postby popeye » Thu May 26, 2011 4:31 am

Edit > Find & Replace
Search for: $
Replace with: space (or whatever)
Options/Regular expressions: ON (checked)

Click "Replace all".

Great. Thank you acknak, this is exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate your help :-)
popeye

Postby popeye » Thu May 26, 2011 4:34 am

MrProgrammer wrote:Take a look at Alternative dialog Find & Replace for Writer. If the page is slow to load, try again later. They seem to be making infrastructure changes to some of the OOo pages and sometimes they aren't available.

Thanks Mr Programmer. I'd prefer a built-in function, as in all the other "writers" I've used. Do you know whether future OO versions might include this alternative/extended search&replace funcionality?
popeye

Re: [Solved] Replacing paragraph mark..

Postby jameskhazar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 am

I've spent years avoiding learning regexp sytnax, it's serious overkill for such a simple (and often necessary) search and replace. It comes up often for me, like copying from a web page of a data table. For some reason the copy created a set of tabs and paragraph insertions that made it impossible to paste into a spread sheet. Simple to do in Word, find and replace ^t^p^t with ^t. After a half an hour's research and attempts with regex, still can't get it to work. I thought OpenOffice wanted to be on an even keel with MS Word. The lack of this one thing may force me to go back...
OpenOffice 3.3.0
OOO330,20 (Build:9567)
OS X 10.7
jameskhazar

Re: [Solved] Replacing paragraph mark..

Postby mriosv » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:06 am

There is an extension to do it:
Alternative searching 1.3.2 (AltSearch.oxt)
Copyright (c) 2007 Tomas BILEK
http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... /AltSearch
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate
mriosv

Return to Writer