[Solved] Deleting something copies it into clipboard?

Discuss the word processor
dementia13

[Solved] Deleting something copies it into clipboard?

Post by dementia13 »

I've been having this problem for YEARS now and I've finally decided to register a forum account to investigate further - did a search on these forums and on Google and can't seem to find any answers.

I use OpenOffice Writer (4.1.1) for several hours a day, and the way in which I use it I keep a commonly used line (group of characters / text) in my clipboard (paste history) so that I can copy it into my document easily with a simple Ctrl+V. The strange bug I've been encountering is that sometimes if I delete a line or group of characters (with either Delete key or Backspace), it will copy that text INTO my clipboard and then paste it out when I hit Ctrl+V, instead of what I want in there and copied in with Ctrl+C. I've tried several permutations of this scenario and it seems to happen roughly half the time - the inconsistency is puzzling - no idea what is going on here, and it's been driving me nuts for years.

Can anyone shine some light on this mystery? Thanks!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Win10 64-bit
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Deleting something copies it into clipboard?

Post by Bill »

Sorry, I've never encountered this.

Have you looked at using AutoText instead of using the clipboard?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
dementia13

Post by dementia13 »

Thanks for the suggestion - the text I paste changes per document (across several documents a day) so copy/paste is still easiest - however, I might just explore AutoText for a while and see if it's preferable, at least that way I'll be able to rely on it not pulling my delete history into the clipboard. Thanks!

Anyone else experience this?
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Win10 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Never seen that before, even in the forum. The most common bug related is when the previous content of the clipboard is pasted bu not the string that has been deleted.
Do you have any application for clipboard management?

If the text you want to paste is specific to documents but if it's always the same (no need to change it from a day to another), then AutoText will indeed help a lot.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree with Hagar - I haven't seen that ever. I've just checked, also using Ctrl Backspace and Ctrl Del (just in case of bad keying); nothing I did could get Delete or Backspace to put the selection on the clipboard.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dementia13

Post by dementia13 »

Thanks for the comments, folks - very strange that I seem to be experiencing it alone. I'll add that I reformatted my computer last year (new instance of OS, etc.) and on my previous version of OOWriter I had the same issue.

Is there any way to actually SEE what's on your clipboard? Perhaps that will help me trace what exactly is happening here. I, too, wonder if it has something to do with the shift key, as oftentimes when I am deleting things I am using Shift+Ctrl+Arrow keys to select entire lines or several words at once, and that is usually an ingredient in this delete-replacing-Ctrl+V issue.
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Win10 64-bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Shift Backspace and Shift Delete does actually copy the selection to the clipboard. I did not find that Ctrl Shift Backspace and Ctrl Shift Delete copied the selection to the keyboard.
 Edit: I was mistaken - Shift Backspace does _not_ copy to the clipboard. 
dementia13

Post by dementia13 »

^ Eureka! I think this might be it!

Just tested and Shift+Delete DOES copy into the clipboard, but Shift+Backspace does not.

Regardless, this may be the culprit - will test it out over the next few days and report back.
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Win10 64-bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Yes, you are correct: Shift Backspace does _not_ copy to the clipboard. I've corrected my earlier post
dementia13

Post by dementia13 »

^ No prob, and thanks!

Also, do you know if it's possible to disable the Shift+Delete copying into clipboard? Is that a shortcut somewhere?
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Win10 64-bit
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Select Tools > Customize > Keyboard, select the "OpenOffice" radio button, scroll down to "Shift+Delete" and click the "Delete" button.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
dementia13

Post by dementia13 »

^ Thanks! Still going to give it a few days before disabling to confirm it's this and not something else, but I suspect this is the culprit.

Very happy to have this (finally) solved!
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Win10 64-bit
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Be aware that Writer seems to be susceptible to problems with applications which monitor the clipboard (some do so silently) and Clipboard History utilities have a particularly bad reputation in this respect.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It seems that it is a rather common shortcut for "Cut", see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut,_copy ... _shortcuts
Never heard about that before!
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
dementia13

Re: [Solved] Deleting something copies it into clipboard?

Post by dementia13 »

UPDATE - ONE MONTH LATER

Wanted to follow up and say that I haven't had the problem since - thanks to everyone who helped out - hopefully this thread will be helpful to someone in the future!
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Win10 64-bit
fixitmanarizona

Re: [Solved] Deleting something copies it into clipboard?

Post by fixitmanarizona »

Do you have a clipboard manager such as Klipper or Clipman installed?
The problem could be with "sync selections" on that program.
On Clipman I turned the sync off and that annoying problem went away FINALLY!
Clipman > Properties > General > uncheck "Sync selections."
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 16.04