# signs and no text

Discuss the word processor
paxtontanya

# signs and no text

Post by paxtontanya »

Can anyone please help? I tried to open my uni essay and got 10 pages of # signs and no text. stressed to say the least. I have tried finding a previous version to restore but there is noting in the C file under back ups. Is there anything I can do?
open office 4.1.2
RoryOF

Re: # signs and no text

Post by RoryOF »

The chances are minute that you will recover anything from the existing file.

To try and recover your file, you should look in the backup and temporary directories pointed to by /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths. Rename any files in those to type .odt (or whatever file type you were using) and see if they contain your data. Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Pending running Recuva/PhotoRec make as little use of your computer as possible to avoid overwriting any deleted file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

What operating system are you using? There may be different options depending on your operating system.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
paxtontanya

Post by paxtontanya »

windows 10
open office 4.1.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

In Windows 10, you could recover a previous version if you have set up File History to backup files.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Using Recuva to un-delete Writer temporary files for help recovering the temporary files which Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted when Writer was closed.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.