Weird bullet formatting - spacing off and can't fix

Discuss the word processor
cdngirl

Weird bullet formatting - spacing off and can't fix

Post by cdngirl »

I am working on updating my resume as am looking for a job so it's imperative my formatting be professional or my resume may be overlooked (I work in communications - I need to have this right!). I keep coming up against a problem with OO Writer where the bulleted line spacing is inconsistent. It will seemingly, arbitrarily create new paragraph spacing "rules" between lines - usually the last line of a list of bullets will have additional spacing that the others don't. OR, in some cases, one position on my resume's bullets have one type of spacing/bullet type, where another position uses slightly (or distinctly) different spacing/bullet size.

I have been trying to resolve this matter myself for literally months and it's starting to make me insane. Any help identifying/resolving the issue would be much appreciated! I have read through a number of other topics created by other users with bullet formatting issues but I can't seem to find one that specifically covers mine and I'm on the clock atm - so figured I would just create a post. I apologize if it does mirror another topic on same - I've not found it.

I should add - I have checked paragraph details on the bulleted sections, for spacing/alignment etc. and made them all consistent so there is no additional space before or after in the menu section where you would input 0.21 or whatever. It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.

I just need an easy way to create ONE well formatted set of bullets that is consistent and be able to create the exact same look throughout my document wherever I need to use bullets so that the document is uniform. All help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Open Office 3.3.0 (about to install latest update) / Win7 (yep that old thing)
acknak

Re: weird bullet formatting - spacing off and can't fix - he

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

The best way to get consistent, manageable formatting in OO is to use styles exclusively. Once you start using direct formatting (toolbars, Format > Paragraph > ...) it can be difficult to straighten out.

At any rate, the usual culprit with uneven spacing in bullet lists comes from the bullet symbols. OO Writer often uses a different font for the bullet symbol and the symbol font is slightly larger than the text font and thus changes the line spacing. A bullet can also be scaled, so its size may simply be larger than the text line height.

Unfortunately, it's hard to say for sure without having the document to examine. I don't know of any quick fix, beyond possibly setting the line spacing to "fixed" and manually forcing everything to have even spacing. Even then, I could have guessed wrong about the problem and fiddling with it could make things worse.
 Edit: PS: 
Here's the best approach I know of to cleaning up list formatting:
Select all the list items
Turn off the bullets (click the toolbar button, maybe twice, until the bullets are off)
Turn on the bullets (click the toolbar button once)

This should at least make sure that all the items have the same bullet settings.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
cdngirl

Re: weird bullet formatting - spacing off and can't fix - he

Post by cdngirl »

Hi and thank you for the time in responding. Here is a screenshot of one bulleted section where the formatting is wonky. Note 2 of the bullets (1st and 3rd) are differently sized than the others.

https://gyazo.com/8dc63c53981040ff8bfd516786e746d7
 Edit: 2023-12-21: Link is broken and useless -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator  

Spacing in the lines of the first bullet point information is much tighter than in the remaining bulleted information.

I have tried removing bullets and retyping it all out from scratch, using just the bullet button on the toolbar to begin a new bulleted list completely (so using whatever default bullet setting OO Writer is set to use - I'm not including fancy symbols or editing to use different bullets than the default etc.). And I have tried turning bullets off/on. Nothing seems to resolve this. It is a mystery to me.

This seems to be some kind of glitch in the coding of the application maybe? I am not sure. I will hit the bullet button, begin typing, hit enter to go to next bulleted line and it may be fine for a few lines then suddenly formatting changes when I hit enter to go down to next line at some point. Deleting the line and re-doing it doesn't resolve it. Thx again.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Note broken link
Open Office 3.3.0 (about to install latest update) / Win7 (yep that old thing)
alanack

Re: Weird bullet formatting - spacing off and can't fix

Post by alanack »

I was struggling with this issue, and did everything that was suggested in this and a couple of other posts, but I couldn't make the spaces or the bullet point size uniform throughout a one-page document. I closed the document and reopened it, and the problems was fixed. So at least in this case, a restart of sorts was needed to actually reset the settings. Hope this helps someone...
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
bibbety bob bib

Post by bibbety bob bib »

I had this exact same problem, on my CV as well. Thank goodness you posted this reply down the bottom, otherwise I would have still been struggling to work out how to fix it. But having read this, closed it down, still one rogue one was wrong, closed it down again, and all were fixed. Bizarre, But thanks for posting this, probably saved me hours of my life:)
Open Office 4.1.10 on Windows 10
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

@ cdngirl

Dear Lady,

As long as I remember, left bulleted lines were deprecated by the time I was to apply for a job.

I would kindly suggest you to choose only one character size for the whole page and set your titles as bold.

Do not forget to add a nice portrait of you and to state your willingness to travel.

Wishing you a terrific career, I remain,

Yours sincerely

Nick
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Your sage advice may be a little too late; the original problem was eight years ago - one hopes that OP is still not waiting for a solution.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Thank you for your supervision, David.

Nick
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04