Altering highlight colour in Writer

Discuss the word processor

Altering highlight colour in Writer

Postby GrahamKnott » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:34 pm

I suspect this is going to be really embarrassing, but how do you change the highlight colour that highlights text in Writer? I've tried doing so via Tools/Options/Open Office.org/Appearance and then changing the colour in 'Reserved Expression' but with no effect whatsoever. At present the highlight colour is in black and it virtually blots out the relevant text. Regards, Gray
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
GrahamKnott

Re: Altering highlight colour in Writer

Postby JohnV » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:54 pm

Beside the highlight icon is a drop down menu where you select a new color.
JohnV
Volunteer

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:58 pm

I think you're talking about text selected with the cursor (a mere selection, not a highlighting in fact). I don't think it can be changed.
AOO 4.0.1 on Windows 7 and Xubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)
Hagar Delest

Postby Bill » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 pm

I think that the text selection highlight color is determined by the OS, but I don't know how to change it. In Windows Me, if I change the "Window" color setting, the background color of the page in Writer changes to that color and the highlight color also changes to a different color, but there isn't a separate setting for the highlight color that I can find.
Bill

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:11 pm

Perhaps it's worth an enhancement request: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions.
Hagar Delest

Highlighting of text problems in Writer (continued)

Postby GrahamKnott » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:30 pm

A clarification: when I refer to the 'highlighting' of text in Writer, I mean in the MS Word meaning of the term - that is, when you 'highlight' a piece of text with the idea of copying it, for example.

I reiterate: I can't figure out a way of changing the colour of the 'highlight' function (in MS Word' speak). I've no idea what it's called in Writer, which is part of the problem, I guess. At present it's a deep black and it all but blots out the text, making it very difficult to see properly. regards, Gray
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
GrahamKnott

Re: Highlighting of text problems in Writer (continued)

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 pm

GrahamKnott wrote:A clarification: when I refer to the 'highlighting' of text in Writer, I mean in the MS Word meaning of the term - that is, when you 'highlight' a piece of text with the idea of copying it, for example.

You may be referring to selection of text. I don't see the problem, since the text becomes white on black, rather than black on white in the selection. If you want green on purple, I doubt that's possible. It is a programmer's choice, so you might make a request, but I doubt it will change soon if at all.

David.
Dave

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Highlighting of text problems in Writer (continued)

Why create a new thread? I've merged the 2 in this single topic.
Hagar Delest

Postby Bill » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:24 am

There is no manual setting for the selection highlight color. It is automatic and depends on the background color and the operating system appearance settings. Are you using a gray font color instead of black? That will cause selected text to be black on black highlighting. In that case, try turning on the option: Tools > Options > Openoffice.org > accessibility > Use automatic font color for screen display.

You may want to add comments and vote for this issue: calculation of high-contrast text selection colors not working
Bill

Return to Writer