OO portable corrupted my file: ASCII error! ...S-O-S

Discuss the word processor
iamthetravelguy
Banned

OO portable corrupted my file: ASCII error! ...S-O-S

Post by iamthetravelguy »

my Open Office crashed during saving and now my file is corrupted.

Because Im using the portable verison I have NO user folder and thus NO backup folder.

I already tried everything I could find over google like renaming to .zip and trying to fix it, zip-repair and word-repair tools, everything.
The file is the same size and has the same info. But its contents are just hash marks.

I think using OO to recover it is useless, How do I get an earlier version of my file from my Computer?

My windows has the file history function, but it wasnt enabled :(

I need help urgently, I am willing to pay money to anyone who is capable of getting me yesterday's version of my file.

please help
OpenOffice 4.1.1. portable, Windows 8.0
Greengiant224

Re: OO portable corrupted my file: ASCII error! ...S-O-S

Post by Greengiant224 »

iamthetrevelguy:
The file is the same size and has the same info. But its contents are just hash marks.
Sorry, but the file is corrupt.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77738

The paths to the portable version are displayed via:
Tools>Options>OpenOffice.org>Paths
also look using the folder structure:
The folder containing the portable version Users\OpenOffice4\user\

Did you not make a backup via a third party tool?

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
iamthetravelguy
Banned

Okay, how do I recover the file outside of Open office which I will delete once I got my file back?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is possible that an undelete utility such as Recuva or PhotoRec may recover a deleted copy either of the file itself or of a temporary working file. The less use your computer has before running such a utility the better the chances of a successful outcome.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
iamthetravelguy
Banned

I am running Recuva now. With windows 8 the shadow copies function is useless.

But i never deleted that file. What can be found?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

iamthetravelguy wrote:Because Im using the portable verison I have NO user folder and thus NO backup folder.
If you installed the Portable Apps version, they should be somewhere in the Portable Apps folder.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
iamthetravelguy
Banned

i tried recuva, it didnt recover anything.

my backup folder is empty.

renaming to zip showed an empty archive

my hint on how to prevent it is to delete open office. oo is horrible: you have to >activate< the backup function? Thats like you have to >tell< your bank they should put your money in safe.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

iamthetravelguy wrote:Because Im using the portable verison I have NO user folder and thus NO backup folder.
Are you sure? There must be a place where AOO stores your Profile - on a normal W7 installation it is at C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice. Is the reason you cannot see it because it has been created as hidden files - if so, make hidden files visible by Control Panel > Folder Options > View and tick Show hidden files and folders and possibly also un-tick Hide protected OS files. While you are there make sure you un-tick Hide extensions for known file types - it will stop you getting into all sorts of trouble.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
iamthetravelguy
Banned

All my hidden files are shown. but it doesn matter: I had not enabled the backup functin anyway. The backup function ist DISABLED by open office by DEFAULT, no matter if portable or standard version. How retarded is that? F*** open office.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

iamthetravelguy wrote:The backup function ist DISABLED by open office by DEFAULT, no matter if portable or standard version.
I agree that I would prefer it to be enabled. But the user needs to take some responsibility for his/her own actions or, in this case, inactions. When you install software you should always go through the Options/Preferences to be certain it matches what YOU want to do. It is also a good idea to re-visit all the Options every year or so to be certain they still match your way of working.

iamthetravelguy
Banned

hello microsoft word.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

iamthetravelguy wrote:hello microsoft word.
Make sure you go through the Options/Preferences when you install MS Word so that it is set up how you want it. Then take responsibility for how YOU have instructed it to operate - in the UK we have a saying "A bad workman always blames his tools".

If this solves the problem, please edit your original post title to [Solved].
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Also, did you read Using RECUVA to recover Writer temporary files as it explains precisely how to find your temporary files and how to recover them even though they are now deleted.

Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

iamthetravelguy wrote:All my hidden files are shown. but it doesn matter: I had not enabled the backup functin anyway. The backup function ist DISABLED by open office by DEFAULT, no matter if portable or standard version. How retarded is that? F*** open office.
iamthetravelguy wrote: oo is horrible: you have to >activate< the backup function? Thats like you have to >tell< your bank they should put your money in safe.
iamthetravelguy wrote:hello microsoft word.
Good luck. Hope you never need the automatic backup in MS Office. It's also disabled by default.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

In the long run all the non-techies having portable everything everywhere will end up with apps and clouds because they are completely unable to manage their own data.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Villeroy wrote:In the long run all the non-techies having portable everything everywhere will end up with apps and clouds because they are completely unable to manage their own data.
This was IBM's premise for computing - put computing in the hands of those who understand it. When PCs came out, everyone ran away from centralised computing, but no-one counted the real cost of highly paid staff struggling to get their PCs working. It has only taken 40 years for people to see IBM was correct all along ...

iamthetravelguy
Banned

f**k you.
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited file to mask offensive word. User should perhaps consider anger management counselling [RoryOF, Moderator]