[Solved] Make a line in a Table "thicker"

Discuss the word processor
sweepback

[Solved] Make a line in a Table "thicker"

Post by sweepback »

I have created a Table, and I want to make a Horizontal Line, under a Row of cells, thicker. I have tried everything !! I can make the outer border thicker !! I can make the lines around a row of cells thicker. I just can't find the way to make the line under a cell or group of cells, thicker. :crazy: I am trying to create a table for monthly Staff Rosters and I want to "highlight" the end of each fortnightly pay period, with a thicker line
I hope some kind soul can help
Many thanks
Last edited by sweepback on Sat May 02, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7 64 bit
RoryOF

Re: Make a line in a Table "thicker"

Post by RoryOF »

I can't answer about making the bottom line of every fortnightly group heavier. Instead, I suggest a workaround - why not shade those cells with a background colour to make them stand out?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Based on the fact that you state you created a Table, I'm presuming that you are working in Writer.
If so, you can do what you're asking for, but not automatically (or at least I couldn't find a way to do it automatically)
Select a cell in the table just above where you want the thicker line.
Then select Table -> Table Properties -> Border tab
There you can select the exact location of the border(s), thickness, style, and even colour of the border.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
sweepback

Post by sweepback »

RoryOF: Many thanks. I tried this.............looks great..........but I prefer the thicker lines.

RussellB: Following is the procedure that I followed.
Clicked to highlight a single cell just above the line I wanted to make thicker
Selected Table > Table Properties > under the word Default selected the horizontal line from the box labelled "set outer border only" > selected 2.5pt > Ok
ALL horizontal lines on the Table change to 2.5pt. Am I missing a step?
Thanks for your help
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Under Line arrangement in the dialog, a picture of which is attached, you want to select where the line goes using User-Defined not Default
Table properties dialog.PNG
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I was able to get the line you required by selecting the row in question, but I'm not certain just how I did it. I think I may have selected one of the Shadow icons (bottom row of icons on Table window). I have been playing with it, but am not getting any consistent results - at least not sufficiently consistent to list. I haven't time to follow up just now - real life calls!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Table formatting like this can be tricky because you can get different results depending on the order you change the formatting and exactly how you do it.

I find I often need to clear the formatting and start again to get predictable results.The border dialog window can also be a bit difficult to manage.
... selected the horizontal line from the box labelled "set outer border only" ... ALL horizontal lines on the Table change to 2.5pt. ...
The middle horizontal line in the diagram represents all inner horizontal lines in the table. If you only have one cell selected, the middle line has no effect--the bottom line in the diagram represents the horizontal line at the bottom of the selection.

I would try selecting the entire row before making the change (assuming you want the border changed for the whole row).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

sweepback wrote:RussellB: Following is the procedure that I followed.
Selected Table > Table Properties > under the word Default selected the horizontal line from the box labelled "set outer border only" > selected 2.5pt > Ok
ALL horizontal lines on the Table change to 2.5pt. Am I missing a step?
It sounds like the cell wasn't actually highlighted. A simple click in a cell won't highlight it. Highlighting a single cell requires a more complex action. One way to highlight a single cell is to click in the cell and hold down the mouse button while moving mouse pointer out of the cell, then back into the cell.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
sweepback

Post by sweepback »

Hello ALL,
I wanted to reply to thank you all, but I haven't had the chance to try all your suggestions as yet. I WILL get to that today, and post feedback on how I get on.
In the meantime........So helpful !!
Very grateful for your thoughts and time to respond
sweepback

Post by sweepback »

I did it !! Yippeeeee !! I'm very happy. I got a piece of the puzzle (so to speak) from each contributor to my post.

I did the following: Highlighted a "row". Selected Table> Table Properties > User defined > selected the bottom line in the box, which went from shaded to black > selected 2.5pt > then OK.

Bingo !! Worked a treat !! Can't thank you ALL enough. What a great Forum !!
heathdavidw

Re: [Solved] Make a line in a Table "thicker"

Post by heathdavidw »

I found how to do what I wanted. I am pleased and impressed. This forum is a most admirable enhancement to all that open office gives.
openoffice 3.2.0 on OS10.4.11 D.W. Heath