Reset spell checker to check same text as if 1st time

Discuss the word processor

Reset spell checker to check same text as if 1st time

Postby Brianna » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:33 pm

I want to reset the spell checker on a document so that the spell checker starts from scratch. For example, the spell checker has already been run one time and corrected everything. Now I want to go back and have the spell checker run as if it had never seen the document before. Is that possible? I have searched all the help and documentation files I can find. It's a simple thing to do in Microsoft Word -- just select "reset spell checker"-- is it possible in OpenOffice? Thank you for helping me.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on MacBook Air using OS X Version 10.9.4
Brianna

Re: how to reset spell checker to check same text as if 1st

Postby esperantisto » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:33 pm

What are you trying to achieve actually? Spellchecker has no memory, so, I can’t really understand what ‘reset’ means in relation to it.
AOO 4.2.0 / LibO 6.x/7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.1 (64-bit)
esperantisto
Volunteer

Re: Reset spell checker to check same text as if 1st time

Postby Brianna » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks for replying, esperantisto. Apparently spell checker DOES have a memory. When I correct words in a document, spell checker remembers my corrections. I want a way to reset it so that it forgets my corrections -- so that the document is returned to its original, uncorrected state.
Brianna

Postby esperantisto » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Before spellchecking, save the document and reload. After spellchecking, just discard all changes by closing the document without saving.
AOO 4.2.0 / LibO 6.x/7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.1 (64-bit)
esperantisto
Volunteer

Postby Brianna » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:32 pm

That would work if I were the original spell checker. I'm working with authors who have already spell-checked their documents and I want to reset the spell checker so that I can do my own review. It's really simple to do this in MS Word -- I was hoping it would be simple in OpenOffice Writer, but apparently it's not. At least, I can't find any way to do it and can't find any help file that addresses this particular aspect of spell checker.
Brianna

Postby acknak » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:00 am

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're doing/looking for here.

The spellcheck makes no record of changes in the text. It only checks for misspelled words.

The record of changes made--any changes, including changes made during a spelling check, is controlled through Edit > Changes ... If you use the "Reject All" option there, you go back to the original, uncorrected document.

As far as I know, that's the only feature that deals with recording changes.

Does that help? If not, you may need to give a specific example of what you want to do, step by step.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Bill » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Brianna wrote:Thanks for replying, esperantisto. Apparently spell checker DOES have a memory. When I correct words in a document, spell checker remembers my corrections. I want a way to reset it so that it forgets my corrections -- so that the document is returned to its original, uncorrected state.

The only memory which SpellCheck has is to add new words to the user's dictionary or add words to the IgnoreAll list. SpellCheck replaces one word with another, but doesn't need to remember which words are replaced. Those word replacements are remembered by the "Undo" function, but that memory is only in the computer's volatile memory. It isn't stored in the document. If you receive a document from someone else which has already been spell checked, there is no way to "reset SpellCheck" to return the document to the original uncorrected state.

Regarding the reset function in MS Word, I can't find information about a reset function that reverses spell checking. The only information I can find is about resetting the words which were ignored when spelling was checked, but if you receive a document from someone else, those words shouldn't be ignored anyway when you SpellCheck the document, and if you ignore words when spell checking a document, if you save and reload the document, the words shouldn't be ignored after the document is reloaded.
AOO 4.1.7, LO 6.3.6.2 and LO 6.4.3.2 on Kubuntu 20.04
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Hlingler » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:04 am

The answer is as difficult as the solution. I am surprised at how difficult it was not only to ask/explain this question, but even more difficult to find an answer.

Answer: LibreOffice most certainly *does* remember all words that you ever 'Ignore All' in a special dictionary called 'List of Ignored Words [All]'. You do not need to reset words that you have only 'Ignore Once' since, well, you only ignored them once and there is no record. You cannot reset the spell checker for only the currently-open document.

To universally reset the spell checker:
1. Tools > Options > Language Settings > Writing Aids
2. In the right middle pane = 'User-defined dictionaries:' select 'List of Ignored Words [All]'

Now you can press either:
- 'Delete' - CAUTION: pressing this button will delete ALL words that you have ever 'Ignore All' for all documents, ever, and cannot be undone; OR
- 'Edit' - you can edit this special dictionary, but you will have to do so one item at a time!

--VJS
LibreOffice 6.3.5.2 (x64) on Windows 10
Hlingler

Postby JeJe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:08 pm

It gets reset if you change the spelling language to a different one and back again to the one you use.

Here is a macro I made by running the macro recorder then going to the Tools/Language menu item and changing the language to US and back to UK again. Seems to work.

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view

sub Main
rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------
rem define variables
dim document   as object
dim dispatcher as object
rem get access to the document
document   = ThisComponent.CurrentController.Frame
dispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")

dim args1(0) as new com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue
args1(0).Name = "Language"
args1(0).Value = "Default_English (USA)"

dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:LanguageStatus", "", 0, args1())

dim args2(0) as new com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue
args2(0).Name = "Language"
args2(0).Value = "Default_English (UK)"

dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:LanguageStatus", "", 0, args2())

end sub
Openoffice 4.1.6
Windows 8
JeJe
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Hlingler wrote:The answer is as difficult as the solution. I am surprised at how difficult it was not only to ask/explain this question, but even more difficult to find an answer.

Answer: LibreOffice most certainly *does* remember all words that you ever 'Ignore All' in a special dictionary called 'List of Ignored Words [All]'. You do not need to reset words that you have only 'Ignore Once' since, well, you only ignored them once and there is no record. You cannot reset the spell checker for only the currently-open document.

To universally reset the spell checker:
1. Tools > Options > Language Settings > Writing Aids
2. In the right middle pane = 'User-defined dictionaries:' select 'List of Ignored Words [All]'

Now you can press either:
- 'Delete' - CAUTION: pressing this button will delete ALL words that you have ever 'Ignore All' for all documents, ever, and cannot be undone; OR
- 'Edit' - you can edit this special dictionary, but you will have to do so one item at a time!

--VJS

Also posted to
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/226192/how-do-you-reset-ignored-words-and-ignore-once/
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby jrkrideau » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:45 pm

Try acknak's solution. It may not be ideal but it works
Edit > Track changes > Record
after corrections
Edit > Track changes > Reject all
LibreOffice 6.4.3.2; Ubuntu 20.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:52 pm

Brianna wrote:I want to reset the spell checker on a document so that the spell checker starts from scratch.

1. Save the document
2. File > Reload ...,; or Close > Open document.

AOO/LO now has no memory of what you did and the spell checker starts from scratch.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer