Deleting Last Page In Writer Docs

Discuss the word processor
openofficeayr

Deleting Last Page In Writer Docs

Post by openofficeayr »

I compiled a new Writer document that currently contains nothing except a multi-row table that extends over two pages, and has header and footer information on each page. Table does not extend to the bottom of the second page, but something has gone wrong as a third page (blank except for header & footer information) has been generated in the saved file. How can I delete this redundant page? Tried turning on non-printing character mode to find and delete any "hidden characters" but still unable to delete last page. Any thoughts??
OpenOffice 4.1
Win 7 Starter
RoryOF

Re: Deleting Last Page In Writer Docs

Post by RoryOF »

Keep /View /non-printing mode on and place cursor before any trailing Pilcrows (Backwards P characters) after the table. Hit Delete until they are gone and page 3 should delete.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
openofficeayr

Post by openofficeayr »

Unfortunately fix did not work.One pilcrow remains at the top left corner of page 3 of my document no matter how many times I hit Delete. I wonder if the issue is related to the fact that I only have a table in this document. I notice that even though there is several centimeters of blank space below the table (on page 2) I cannot place a character anywhere in that space and the pilcrow on page 3 will not move back into that space, or delete.
OpenOffice 4.1
Win 7 Starter
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I can't reproduce that. Can you upload the file here?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Right-click the table and select Table. On the Table Format dialog, select the Text Flow tab. If "Break" is checked, uncheck it.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
openofficeayr

Post by openofficeayr »

Bill wrote:Right-click the table and select Table. On the Table Format dialog, select the Text Flow tab. If "Break" is checked, uncheck it.

Tried this fix but no joy. Document continues to operate in the way described in my last reply.
OpenOffice 4.1
Win 7 Starter
openofficeayr

Post by openofficeayr »

floris v wrote:I can't reproduce that. Can you upload the file here?

The document contains lots of personal data, but I could make a copy and replace the data with random characters so that the table is the same size. If I do that how to I upload it to the forum so that it is attached to my problem post?
OpenOffice 4.1
Win 7 Starter
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Use either PostReply or Full Editor screens and you will find the "Upload Attachmment" tab just below the Submit button. Attach your file to your next posting in the thread.
DFW333

Post by DFW333 »

I also have this problem. I created a single page document with a table that takes up the entire page. I am not able to delete the pilcrow on the second page. This isn't a big issue at all, but in the future when I need to reprint this document en masse and forget about this, every other sheet will come out blank. Then I'll have to pull all the empty sheets out, put them back into the printer to continue the job until it runs out of paper again at which time I will have to repeat the pulling the blank pages out and reloading them into the printer. And yes, I know how to tell it to only print the first page, my point is that I'll forget that I have to tell it to do that when I need to reprint this in about a year from now.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (6.1, Build 7601)
DFW333

Post by DFW333 »

Sorry for the double post, the first one is still pending moderation so I can't edit it (time to disable moderation of new replies?). Anyway the way I solved this problem was clicking on the blank page and setting the font size to 1. This enabled all 'extra text', that the program thinks I want to put in, to fit in a tiny space just at the bottom of the table before the end of the page.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (6.1, Build 7601)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Unfortunately, initial post moderation is necessary to prevent a spam flood. I instance the case of the older OpenOffice forum where there was no initial post moderation; this forum, valuable as its postings are, has become unusable of recent months because of spam.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

An interesting option, DFW333.
Another option that might be tried is to decrease the top and/or bottom margin settings, thus giving a longer page to work with.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Another method is to type a space for example, then select it and format it as "Hidden".
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
deporodh

Post by deporodh »

Hi, I have the EXACT same problem. Except I've already attempted every fix in this query and in the earlier one
> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=76044

My document is two pages of table. I want it to fill the two pages. I don't want the extra blank page at end because this is for printing on cover stock.

I believe that the GIGO logic of the program is that I am *inserting* a table into a doc, therefore it insists on having a paragraph (pilcrow) to hook the inserted table to.

1 Tried viewing non-print characters, delete…no joy
2 Inspected paragraph and table format "Text Flow" tabs for breaks…no joy
3 Tried reducing the row height of final page of content until OOo displayed a very visible blank area on page 2 below the table boundary, still had unwanted page 3 and its persecuting ¶ pilcrow. (Heck, it's easier to type ¶ on a Mac than spell it out!)

I have zero headers or footers in document, and zero frames inserted.
I have attached the doc in question in hopes some brilliant mind will discover a corner of OpenOffice I have not yet swept.

Deb
Attachments
OWC-SS-incense-lgpkg-fold.odt
Content is packaging for a business product. Text is copyrighted! graphic is modified pub domain clip art.
(66.84 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
MacOS 10.11.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You have a table which has a following paragraph return. The table row ends at the page end so the paragraph return spills creating a new page.

Reduce the height of the last row of the table and/or reduce the height of the font of the paragraph return so that the paragraph return moves up to page 2. Page 3 then disappears.

Alternatively, place the cursor in the last cell of the table and go Shift+Ctrl+Delete - this deletes the following paragraph return.
 Edit: While this does indeed delete the paragraph return in the current, opened document it comes back when you save and then open the document again. 
Why is it there? Because it is needed if you want to continue adding text etc to your document - if it isn't there there is nowhere to add more content!
Table row height reduced to allow paragraph return to appear on page 2
Table row height reduced to allow paragraph return to appear on page 2
As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
Last edited by John_Ha on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can also adjust the top/bottom margins of the pages to accommodate the extra paragraph return, which you can manually set to 2 points. I noticed that on my computer the last lines of row 2 on page 1 were not properly rendered - you might need to adjust your spacings. However this may have been due to my system having different fonts in use.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

RoryOF wrote:I noticed that on my computer the last lines of row 2 on page 1 were not properly rendered - you might need to adjust your spacings. However this may have been due to my system having different fonts in use.
Same here. The first paragraph in the second row on both pages has extra space specified above the paragraph. That's causing the bottom lines to be cut off on both pages.

I'm also seeing one graphic in the right-hand column on each page badly misaligned. The misaligned graphics are anchored to a paragraph in the left-hand column. I had to cut the graphics and paste them back in to get them anchored properly, then change the position settings to get them aligned properly.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Misalignment for us is probably caused by font substitution. I don't have the fonts used in the document. Probably looks fine on the originating system.

One way to avoid the last page occurring is to insert the table in frames, then set the text wrap around each frame to "Background". Insert one frame for each page (press ctrl+enter to force a new page). You can either have a single table and linked frames, or split your table.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

In this case, font replacement is only a factor in the graphic misalignment because the graphic is anchored to the wrong paragraph. The graphics are being used to form a border around the second paragraph in each cell. The graphic should be anchored to the second paragraph so it will move with the second paragraph. The misaligned graphics are anchored to the seventh paragraph in a different cell, so they will move with the seventh paragraph. Anything that causes the seventh paragraph to move relative to the second paragraph will cause the graphic to become misaligned.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Bill
Good catch.

openofficeayr

See Item 11 in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for an explanation and for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.