[Issue] Table styles

Discuss the word processor

[Issue] Table styles

Postby DanielDG » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:26 am

Why can't I create a table style? For instance, I want the heading of my tables to have a certain style, so I would just need a row style, or heading rows style, with a certain cell background colour, font size and typeface, and thicker upper and bottom margin lines. Is there a way to do that or should I just send a feature request?

-- Daniel
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 4.1.0; Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
DanielDG

Re: Table styles

Postby RPG » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Hello

I think other people have more experience to answer this question. As far I understand the formatting of tables you have to work with styles and with the table wizard. This means also that formatting of the table is a little different then other parts of OOo.

When you want have the same look and feel of the tables then you must make a kind of style with the table wizard also called auto-format. Before you can use it you have to make a table with the good formatting of the cells. This formatting is not only the color but also lines and so more. As far I knew you can not modify the width of the cells and the table.

Table toolbar
When you work with tables then it is good to have the toolbar for tables activated, unless other people say it can in an other way. On that toolbar you have buttons for formatting

I have played once with this tool. For simple tables it does work but for complex tables it is not easy of not good working.

Romke
LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on openSUSE Leap 15
RPG
Volunteer

Postby DanielDG » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:46 pm

As you said, this method works for some table, i.e. the simple ones, but for the complex ones it falls short of what is intended. Just tried it now. Anyway, this is better than nothing. Thanks!
However, what I would need is the ability to create a row style, or heading style.

-- Daniel
OpenOffice 4.1.0; Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
DanielDG

Postby RPG » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Hello

When you make a little table maybe 5*5. Then format the table in the way you want. This means for border, font-types and so more.

As far I remember me: the outside cells are given to the outside cells of your table. So your table maybe bigger then 5*5.

It is working for a little test. I have only test it colors now

Romke.
LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on openSUSE Leap 15
RPG
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:23 pm

I don't use tables, so take my suggestion in the light of that. If this were my problem and I could find no other solution, I would make a number of (say) one page files each containing a desired table structure, but with the table left blank (or with placeholder text). When I wanted a particular table style, I'd copy that file, insert my data into the table, then /File /Insert into the target file. It might even be possible to set the table bearing files up as templates (to save the copying of the file).

Edit: Solveig Haugland has a good article on table formatting at
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2006/06/table_formattin.html 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Xubuntu 20.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby jrkrideau » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:39 pm

DanielDG wrote:As you said, this method works for some table, i.e. the simple ones, but for the complex ones it falls short of what is intended. Just tried it now. Anyway, this is better than nothing. Thanks!
However, what I would need is the ability to create a row style, or heading style.

-- Daniel

It might be easier to set up tables in Calc land import them. While you may or may not be able to set up an actual template (I've never tried) it should make formatting simpler.
LibreOffice 6.4.3.2; Ubuntu 20.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:55 pm

See also: [Issue] Table template. You should subscribe and vote for the issue 11121 (up to 2 votes per issue).
LibreOffice 7.0.3 on Xubuntu 20.10 and LibreOffice 7.0 (portable) on Windows 10.
Hagar Delest

Return to Writer