Index entries are changing into italic and bold style on own

Discuss the word processor
kenno3

Index entries are changing into italic and bold style on own

Post by kenno3 »

Index entries are changing into italic and bold style on own.

Hi, can you please help?
I manually added many entries for an alphabetical index.
I highlighted a word "blue berries," but I changed the entry name to "blue" (the name doesn't matter, but it was something different than what the text appears as in my document). This causes the colored shading box to make a space before the entry, but still links it (I do not know if this is related).

However, after updating my alphabetical index on page 1, and after coming back to certain pages, I now see that the entries which are tagged/linked, have had their font style changed to italic and bold - which goes beyond the tagged word, and continues until it reaches a break or a differently formatted word (such as something in italic).
What is causing this to happen? And what is the style name to edit to turn off italic and bold (for Insert > Table > Entry..)?
My document is too long and I don't notice when this happens. But it's ruining my hours of formatting.

update
I am looking through my document, and the auto italic/bold, seems [sometimes] to happen to words which I have referenced twice on 1 page.
Meaning if I manually added two entries for "blue berry" which appear on the same page (but at separate words), then I think Writer is auto italic and bolding the reference, to indicate it is a double?
If so, how can I turn this off, or which style do I edit to turn off italic/bold?
[update 2: maybe this isn't the issue, because a single-time reference is also getting messed up].

update 3: OMG, I was fixing a 100 page document, and saved it, then closed it, then reopened it - to make sure the fixes were sticking.
I went back to a problem page and all the entries changed back to italic and bold style (without me updating the index)!!! please help. ty

ALso, what is with the problem website? Every day that I try to post, or click preview, it gives me an error (connection reset or something) and my writing is lost. Is it my DNS or do other people have this problem?
Attachments
sample34465.png
OpenOffice 3.4.1 / win 8
acknak

Re: Index entries are changing into italic and bold style on

Post by acknak »

What document format are you saving to? Saving to any format other than OOo's native ODF format (.odt for text) (.ods for spreadsheets) carries some risk of losing formatting. If you'e not saving as ODF, the formatting may have become garbled.

Is it possible to attach a small sample from your document? You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the message entry area after you click "POST REPLY"). For tips on posting large or confidential documents, see: [Forum] How to attach a document here
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
kenno3

Post by kenno3 »

Thanks for the reply. Im trying to post a censored version. but having trouble reproducing the error.
I have been saving as ODF format, and it has always been a ODF document when I made it.

It seems to get confused at entry markers, which are in the same line as a font style change, such as italic.
What I did in my real document, was delete all the entries, then it stopped messing up the style, when I reopened the document.
Im sorry I don't have anything for you to look at yet. Ill keep trying, and check back.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 / win 8
acknak

Post by acknak »

No problem. Don't make extra work for yourself. If you'd like to send it privately, that's fine as well.

I haven't used the index features much; what I have tried seemed a bit limited. You may want to investigate the concordance feature--OO can automatically index all words saved in a concordance file. That may give more consistent results than trying to select/mark words manually.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
PHD Student

Post by PHD Student »

I am having the exact same problem as Kenno3 for my index on a thesis file (500 pages). Some of the words I have indexed in my main file randomly become bold or italic and this feature continues for a few words or for the whole paragraph. I have taken acknack's comment into consideration and created a concordance file but the problem persists.
Moreover, the concordance file does not take into account my footnotes which means that my index is incomplete.
Does anyone have a solution for this?
Open Office 4.1.1 Windows 7