Envelope size problem

Discuss the word processor
PC_Confused

Envelope size problem

Post by PC_Confused »

I am trying to print out an envelope. As far as I can tell, I've made all the changes necessary to print out my envelope. I want to print to a #10 envelope. I've selected the option for #10 envelope with the size 9.5 X 4.13 inches. When I click on print, the preview shows C5 Envelope with the size 9.0 X 6.38 inches. I've tried clicking on New Doc., Modify, Reset but nothing I've tried to do changes the envelope size to a #10 instead of C5? I've even tried going to User Defined, and entering the 9.5 X 4.13 inch sizes, but it did no good. I even tried just clicking on print, but the spacing was way off? What am I missing?

Warren
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Envelope size problem

Post by thomasjk »

Does Format-->Page show the correct information? Try resetting the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
acknak

Post by acknak »

PC_Confused wrote:... When I click on print, the preview shows C5 Envelope with the size 9.0 X 6.38 inches. ...
For what it's worth, I see the same thing.

I think it has to do with what orientation is set under Insert > Envelope > Printer. Based on that, OO may generate an odd-sized page in order to get the selected orientation for the printer output. When you do File > Print, I guess the preview shows the standard paper size that's closest to what the document calls for.

I have no idea what the correct settings or behavior is; printing envelopes with OO has always been a complete shot in the dark for me. Sometimes it "just works" most of the time I end up writing the address by hand and a lot of wasted paper on the floor ;-)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Libreoffice shows the correct paper size and orientation and the print preview with my printer is also correct.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
acknak

Post by acknak »

thomasjk wrote:Libreoffice shows the correct paper size ...
Sorry, I see the same "problem" using LibO.

Again, it depends on the orientation I set under Insert > Envelope > Printer ...

I'm not sure that the mismatch paper size is actually wrong; printing to unusual paper sizes or orientations can lead to odd-looking behavior that may actually work correctly with some printers.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
PC_Confused

Post by PC_Confused »

Tom K, I don't know how you found it, but going to Format>Page and then I had to find the option for #10 Envelope, but it worked. I'm still trying to find my user profile, so maybe I can find a way to default that option (it is the only size envelope I use). I hope version 4 will be more user friendly :-) .. Thanks again for the information.
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Once you have the page formatted correctly save it as a template.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

acknak wrote:
thomasjk wrote:Libreoffice shows the correct paper size ...
Sorry, I see the same "problem" using LibO.

Again, it depends on the orientation I set under Insert > Envelope > Printer ...

I'm not sure that the mismatch paper size is actually wrong; printing to unusual paper sizes or orientations can lead to odd-looking behavior that may actually work correctly with some printers.
I don't see anything but the paper size set to #10 Envelope in Landscape orientation, w=9.50" by 4.13". Changing the orientation has no effect on the page dimesions.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
CatFriend

Post by CatFriend »

I know this is an old post, but since I just had this problem, I figured I'd add my observations. I was having the same situation, and after reading the responses, I believe I've figured out the answer. If you go to Insert/Envelope and open the Printer tab, odds are you have the "Envelope orientation" set to one of the centered options. By setting the option to the far right setting, the envelope page was set to the correct size in the printing screen. However, since my printer needs the center feed option, the program automatically increases the size of the page to place the print area in the center where the print is required. So, basically, Writer is just adding a blank buffer area to correctly position the envelope print. Hope this helps.
fbicknel

Post by fbicknel »

@CatFriend's solution works still ... all these years later.

I, too, have a printer that feeds the envelope through the middle of the printer. Printers are so diverse, I think there's little chance this will ever get standardized to the point where selecting the right picture in the envelope setup will produce accurate (and desired) results.
- Frank
OpenOffice 7.1.5.2 (or later) on Ubuntu LTS