Readability Report

Discuss the word processor
markinapub

Readability Report

Post by markinapub »

I've just upgraded to v4.0.1 but the Readability Report extension I have been using a lot now won't work - the extension is readabilityreport.oxt 2.0.4

I've been using this functionality a lot and it is frustrating to not be able to use it following the upgrade; is there a way to force-activate this extension? I'm not getting any errors from the extension manager; it says it's installed fine but I cannot locate it anywhere in the program.

If this extension doesn't work, is there a way to roll back to OO v3? It would be disappointing to make this backward step but I would rather have the functionality...

Kind regards

Mark.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows 8.1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Readability Report

Post by jrkrideau »

You might want to ask the author: There probably is a Q&A section on their website or a email address.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Hmm, I just tried to install the extension and it seems to install fine but I can't find the toolbar or any way to access the extension's reports. Unless I've missed something, it seems that the extension isn't compatible with AOO 4.

You can uninstall OO 4 and re-install an earlier version, also available through the main download site: http://www.openoffice.org.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This may have failed to supply an interface because of the toolbar changes in OO 4.0; if I remember correctly, in such a case it is often possible to call the macros directly and/or to make shortcut keys.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ARCWuLF

Post by ARCWuLF »

I'm not what one would refer to as an OpenOffice 'power user,' so please forgive the following question if it seems in any way ignorant:

How do you ascertain which macros that Reliability Reader would use, if any?

I recently installed it, it doesn't work, and I can't seem to find any macros in Tools > Macros > Run Macros that call it.
I'm using OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7 Pro X64 and whatever the current Ubuntu desktop is...
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As far as I know it's written in Java.
ARCWuLF

Post by ARCWuLF »

So to put it another way: no source code, no fixing.

I thought that the preceding conversation implied that Readability Report had a set of built-in macros, but I guess that if you didn't have it before, made your own macros, and then upgraded to OpenOffice 4.0.1 (or later) you would be out of luck.

As near as I can discern, it appears that the author, "neiln," sold the code to Microsoft for MS Office 2010 and stopped OpenOffice development, making this "abandonware."

I'd really like to take a look at those libraries. It's a shame.
I'm using OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7 Pro X64 and whatever the current Ubuntu desktop is...
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It might be possible to use a Java decompiler on the code. I expect this will involve a lot of work. Some of the work behind the methods used has been published - search on the author's name for his publications.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

First, contact the author and see if (s)he will update it.

Second, sometimes an extension can be found by Tools > Macros > Organise macros > OpenOffice Basic > My Macros and navigate for it. This finds both AltSearch and TestFonts, but not Readability Report. Had you been able to find it, you can then execute the macros one by one till you find one which works.

I installed Readability Report and it went to C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\sv1gzmeq.tmp_\readabilityreport.oxt. The oxt file is a ZIP file - unzip it to see the contents. It looks like the extension is ReadabilityReport.jar, where the jar file is a ZIP file and unzipping it gets as below.

Update: It appears the code is probably in C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\sv1gzmeq.tmp_\readabilityreport.oxt\lib\ where there are three .jar files totalling about 10MB.

I am not sure if this helps ;-)
Attachments
Clipboard02.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.