[Solved] Trouble opening MS Word files in OpenOffice

Discuss the word processor
mr.markus

[Solved] Trouble opening MS Word files in OpenOffice

Post by mr.markus »

I have read other posts that say that Open Office should be able to automatically import most Word files, although for complex files there may be some changes.
I can't seem to have any success whatsoever in importing word files, which is concerning. When I open up a .doc file that's downloaded from an e-mail attachment or the web, Open Office automatically tries to open it. Then a box pops up that says ASCII Filter Options. I select Western language, Times New Roman, etc (the seemingly preset preferences), but then when it opens the document it's just a scramble of symbols, numbers, and letters.
So I have just been converting everything to PDFs before trying to open them with OpenOffice. At least I can read them, but then I can't edit.
Is there a way that I can import Word files without all of this hassle?

I'd appreciate any advice.
Last edited by mr.markus on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache Open Office 4.0.0
MacBook Air OSX 10.8.5
Hagar Delest

Re: Trouble opening Word files in Open Office

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It may be an "error" in the file extension. Save it on your HD and try to change the extension to .docx for example.
If no luck, can you upload a sample file (see How to attach a document here)?

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mr.markus

Post by mr.markus »

Hi Hagar,
thanks for your reply!
Opening docx files appears to be more successful than doc files (only formatting changes and annoying bulletting changes need fixing).
What are some simple ways to convert the files from doc to docx without being able to open them with Open Office to do so? Should I try to open them with a different program and re-save them as docx files? Or perhaps there is a less labour-intensive way to go about it?
Apache Open Office 4.0.0
MacBook Air OSX 10.8.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It should normally be sufficient to save an email file to your hard disk before attempting to open it with OpenOffice. Make sure it is saved with correct extension.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

AOO cannot do that automatically. The files have been sent with the wrong extension, it's the sender that should correct this.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mr.markus

Post by mr.markus »

What do you mean by the "correct" extension? Is docx a correct extension and doc an incorrect extension?
How do I "make sure it's saved with correct extension"?
Should AOO be able to open a file with just doc extension or is that not possible?
Apache Open Office 4.0.0
MacBook Air OSX 10.8.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes files are used without extensions; this may be OK on their computer of origin, but can cause problems on remote computers. So the files should be saved with an extension, which can be .doc for Word files (more recently probably .docx). OpenOffice should open a .doc file better than a .docx file (better filters).

If OpenOffice is not opening these files correctly, try using AbiWord. If neither openOffice or AbiWord is opening them reliably, please up;load a sample file to the Forum (Upload tab below the Submit button on Post A Reply and Full editor screens).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

mr.markus wrote:What do you mean by the "correct" extension? Is docx a correct extension and doc an incorrect extension?
Docx is a correct extension for a docx file. It's an incorrect extension for a doc file. Doc is a correct extension for a doc file and an incorrect extension for a docx file.
mr.markus wrote:How do I "make sure it's saved with correct extension"?
OpenOffice saves with the correct extension if the "Automatic file name extension" option is enabled. If the option is disabled, then the user has to manually add the file name extension and can add the wrong extension. That's a user problem, not an OpenOffice problem.
mr.markus wrote:Should AOO be able to open a file with just doc extension or is that not possible?
If the file with the doc extension is really a doc file, then AOO should open it. If the file with the doc extension isn't really a doc file, then the user will have to tell AOO the real file type before AOO can open it.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
mr.markus

Post by mr.markus »

thanks for the help!

i don't know what "solved" is. is it the green check mark?
Apache Open Office 4.0.0
MacBook Air OSX 10.8.5