[Solved] Moving to AOO 4.0 from OOo 3.3, Osaka font changed.

Discuss the word processor
willg

[Solved] Moving to AOO 4.0 from OOo 3.3, Osaka font changed.

Post by willg »

Hello,

When I upgraded to OpenOffice 4.0 I found a font (Osaka) I often use looks very different. I am running on OS X 10.7.5.

As it's hard to describe I have added a screenshot. On the left is what it looks like in v4.0 and on the right is how it looked in 3.3. The only difference I see that in 3.3 it is "regular" but in 4.0 it is "regular-mono". Both installs are vanilla, I haven't added any plug-ins or the like. Both installs are side by side on the same computer.

I would like to get the 3.3 font in 4.0, or make it look like it did in 3.3. How can I do that?

Thank you
Attachments
v4.0 on the left and v3.3 on the right.
v4.0 on the left and v3.3 on the right.
Last edited by willg on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
AOO 4.0 on OS X 10.7.5
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: Moving to OpenOffice 4.0 from 3.3, Osaka font has change

Post by lgusaas »

willg wrote:When I upgraded to OpenOffice 4.0 I found a font (Osaka) I often use looks very different. I am running on OS X 10.7.5.

As it's hard to describe I have added a screenshot. On the left is what it looks like in v4.0 and on the right is how it looked in 3.3. The only difference I see that in 3.3 it is "regular" but in 4.0 it is "regular-mono". Both installs are vanilla, I haven't added any plug-ins or the like. Both installs are side by side on the same computer.
Macs have both Osaka and Osaka-mono fonts. Unfortunately Apache OpenOffice only sees one of them.

I confirmed that AOO 4.0 only sees the Osaka-mono font. AOO 3.4.1, like OOo 3.3, only sees the Osaka font. Time to file a bug report.
I would like to get the 3.3 font in 4.0, or make it look like it did in 3.3. How can I do that?
As a workaround you can disable Osaka-mono on you system.
Open Font Book.app (in your Applications folder). Find Osaka-mono in the list of fonts and disable it. AOO will then see the regular Osaka font.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
willg

Re: [Solved] Moving to AOO 4.0 from OOo 3.3, Osaka font chan

Post by willg »

Thank you, that workaround did the trick!
AOO 4.0 on OS X 10.7.5
willg

Post by willg »

OK, I was going to log a bug report for this but I think I'd do more harm than good. I'm having a heck of a time just figuring out if a similar bug has already been submitted. And then how do I even phrase this? It seems like it could happen to more than just the Osaka font but I have no idea how to confirm that. I'm leaning toward bowing out and letting someone with better Bugzilla-fu than I do the bug report. Any takers?
AOO 4.0 on OS X 10.7.5
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
willg

Post by willg »

Thanks again Larry!
AOO 4.0 on OS X 10.7.5