Work replaced with "##########"

Discuss the word processor
lolzomgz1337

Work replaced with "##########"

Post by lolzomgz1337 »

So basically that, I've noticed this problem has been going on for a while now and has effected quite a few people, good to know it's getting fixed.
Backup folder is empty, please for the love of god tell me there is a way to save my work. Anyone know WHY this happens?
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Ultimate
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Work replaced with "##########"

Post by floris v »

I'm sorry, but if you don't have a back-up or copy of your work, that file is lost. (See Your file is lost, sadly. See 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs for a discussion.)
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
lolzomgz1337

Post by lolzomgz1337 »

floris v wrote:I'm sorry, but if you don't have a back-up or copy of your work, that file is lost. (See Your file is lost, sadly. See 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs for a discussion.)

Well that's annoying. Call me old fashioned but I'd rather my word processor didn't come with a "lolnoallyourworkisnowgone" feature, especially one that's apparently been there since the dawn of man and still hasn't been fixed. I guess I'll go download MS Word or something, at least that wont devour my work whenever it gets hungry.
lolzomgz1337

Post by lolzomgz1337 »

Just a quick thought here actually: Does anybody know of any programs or any methods that could help me recover the file? I was eyeing up this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290946 but wasn't sure how well it would work? This is an EXTREMELY important file, and I would pay good money to have it recovered.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I remember one topic where a user described a strategy to hunt down older versions of the file on his hard disk using special software. It took hours, but it recovered a lot (http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... ed#p250287 ). You may try the temporary files folder (see http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... ed#p253035 ).
Remember that the hard disk may get fried, all of your files on it will be lost then, and hard disks do die a lot. Back up your files on external media and you do yourself a big favour.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

lolzomgz1337 wrote:
floris v wrote:I'm sorry, but if you don't have a back-up or copy of your work, that file is lost. (See Your file is lost, sadly. See 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs for a discussion.)

Well that's annoying. Call me old fashioned but I'd rather my word processor didn't come with a "lolnoallyourworkisnowgone" feature, especially one that's apparently been there since the dawn of man and still hasn't been fixed. I guess I'll go download MS Word or something, at least that wont devour my work whenever it gets hungry.
Actually it probably will--computers can sense when a file is important :twisted:

It won't help at the moment but unless the documents are very sensitive (e.g carry a govenemt security rating ) you probably should look into one of the cloud file sharing programs. I find Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/ very handy and there are several others available.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04