Space Between Endnote Header and Endnotes

Discuss the word processor
kodienyc

Space Between Endnote Header and Endnotes

Post by kodienyc »

Hello,

In my document, there is full page of space after the endnote section heading ('Notes') and the actual endnotes. I'm not sure what's causing this space or how to close it so that the endnotes immediately follow the heading. I've tried closing the gap many different ways but to no avail. Can someone tell me what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Kodie
OpenOffice 3.3.1 with Windows XP
RoryOF

Re: Space Between Endnote Header and Endnotes

Post by RoryOF »

If I remember correctly, the best way to handle this is to put the Notes header into the actual Header of an Endnotes page. Endnotes start on a new page at the end of the document, and do not permit one to place text before them other than in the header. There was some discussion on this some time ago (18-24 months?)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kodienyc

Post by kodienyc »

Hi, and thanks for your quick response.

I was able to get the space removed, but the heading disappeared. (I'm using the word 'heading' because I'm not sure if I used the Header command to create the original heading. Now, after closing the gap, I'm unable to insert a header onto the endnotes section. Firstly, OOW will not allow me to place the cursor before the first endnote number. Secondly, when I just place the cursor there after the first endnote number and try to insert a header, nothing happens.

Kodie
OpenOffice 3.3.1 with Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Place your Heading style line in the Header on the Endnotes page. You need to turn on Headers on Endnotes
/Format /Styles and Formatting : 4th icon from left, Right click on Endnotes Page Style, Modify, Header tab, check Header on box.

Distinguish between Header (and Footer), components of page styles, which allow information descriptive of Page content (and information like Chapter numbers and Page Numbers) on each page of such a style, and Heading Styles, which allow you place emphasised descriptive text breaks in the course of your text. You need to put "Notes" in (say) Heading N style in the Header (outline box at top of Endnotes page, if you have turned it on). As far as I know, there is no other way to insert a Heading to Endnotes.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

kodienyc wrote:Hi, and thanks for your quick response.

I was able to get the space removed, but the heading disappeared. (I'm using the word 'heading' because I'm not sure if I used the Header command to create the original heading. Now, after closing the gap, I'm unable to insert a header onto the endnotes section. Firstly, OOW will not allow me to place the cursor before the first endnote number. Secondly, when I just place the cursor there after the first endnote number and try to insert a header, nothing happens.

Kodie
I vaguely remember this problem from several years ago and one possible solution was to stick the heading in a frame and anchor it to the top of the Endnotes page. Unfortunately it was discussed on the other forum and I don't seem to be able to access it at the moment.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@jrkrideau: Perhaps that solution is what I was remembering, but whatever it was, the discussion was on this forum. I vaguely remember that the final solution was only a kludge and neccessitated some compromise on the part of the User and his formatting choice.
 Edit: Here is a previous discussion and a solution:
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... =7&t=27900 
 Edit: One can also insert the caption in a frame anchored to the first endnote, but if a prior endnote is inserted it may cause problems. A quick test gave me the Header anchored frame repeating on every endnote page, which I would expect, as it is the property of a header line to repeat its contents on all pages using that style. 
Horse

Post by Horse »

I tried putting the Heading in the header, as suggested, but then it repeats on successive pages of the endnotes. This happened when I set the Next Style to NormalPage. In fact, the page style remained the same on successive pages. Has anyone come up with other ideas? For me this seems only to work for endnotes that run to less than a page.
Lee Higbie
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Win 10