[Solved] Help with merging my .odt files in to one

Discuss the word processor
karre

[Solved] Help with merging my .odt files in to one

Post by karre »

Hello and thanks. First i am sorry if my questions are very noob.

I have been using openoffice over the last few weeks and i have created a number of .odt files. I want to make all 100 files i have made in to one .odt file. I can not work out how to impot all my files in to one file. Any help that can be given would be much loved.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
openoffice 3.4.1 vista
RoryOF

Re: help with merging my .odt files in to one

Post by RoryOF »

/Insert /File works on a file by file basis, inserting the file at the current cursor location. This is useful if the files are in arbitrary order.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can also do it by using a Master Document
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documen ... r_document

I don't advise this if you are unfamiliar with OpenOffice. Less than an hour's work will do the task the long way (as in my previous post). Using a Master document might take you considerably longer by the time you get the intricacies sorted out.
karre

Post by karre »

Hi RoryOF thanks for you fast reply. Sorry for being a noob but i can not work out how to do what you said in your first post /inset /file
openoffice 3.4.1 vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try it and see with a few trivial files.
karre

Post by karre »

i have no clue what this meen (/Insert /File works on a file by file basis, inserting the file at the current cursor location. This is useful if the files are in arbitrary order.) I can not for the life of me work out how to do a /insert /file. I have been at this for about 3 hours read lots of diffrent forums and still no good.
openoffice 3.4.1 vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start a new document. Use Menu item /Insert /File; a window will open which you can navigate to the location wherein your .odt files are saved. Select one of these, press the OK button, and it should appear in your document. Do this again and again, and each new file will be inserted at the current cursor position; you can move the cursor to wherever you want the file to be inserted, to get your text in logical order. For example, if you have data like this after insertion of some files
AAAAA
DDDDD
EEEEEE
where A etc, D etc, E etc is the contents of file A, D, E, you can insert file B by positioning cursor after the last A and before the first D and /Insert /File B so that you now get
AAAAA
BBBBBB
DDDDD
EEEEEE
karre

Re: Help with merging my .odt files in to one

Post by karre »

Ok that worked thanks for your time RoryOF. I have been working on this job for over 19 hours and now i can finaly get it finished. Have a good day or night mate
openoffice 3.4.1 vista
forrie

Re: [Solved] Help with merging my .odt files in to one

Post by forrie »

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought it would be appropriate to post my question here, as it's related.

I have multiple *.odt files that I need to merge, each comprise an Appendix. The difference in my situation is that each separate *.odt file has line numbering for its specific section.

I want to merge these into a full Appendix, retain their individual numbering AND separately number the entire Appendix on at footer.

I don't see how this is possible in Oo. I would hate to resort to physical cut-and-paste, but I will if I have to! LOL

Thanks.
OOo 2.3.X on Mac OSx other