[Solved] Spell check underlines every word

Discuss the word processor
FLGRANDPA

Re: [Solved] Spell check underlines every word

Post by FLGRANDPA »

:bravo:
Close AOO. Click Start and type %appdata% in the Search box. Click "Roaming". Right-click the OpenOffice.org folder and select Rename. Type a different name and press Enter. Restart AOO. AOO won't find the OpenOffice.org folder and will create a new one.
This is the answer for sure. I have a laptop with windows 8 that always underlined everything in red. I tried deleting OO and reinstalling, everything and nothing worked.
I did this, search %appdata% in search box, and the rest. Once I renamed the folder, I opened OO again and it began to set up a new folder as though it was the first time. In about two steps it was done and everything worked, the dictionary and spell checker. Very good answer. Thank you as well. :bravo:
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on WINDOWS 7/ WINDOWS 8
whatamess

Post by whatamess »

I want to say a huge thankyou to RoryOF for his advice on sorting the problem - and believe me this is an intensely irritating problem especially for those of us who use Open Office Writer for a living. To suddenly find that ALL your text is underlined is infuriating, especially when there is no simple solution. After googling the problem for weeks, I eventually stumbled on this forum and this particular page. RoryOF's solution worked first time for me so total respect to you RoryOF.

While I'm here, can I make a couple of points in passing:-
(1) RoryOF's guidance refers to a folder numbered`3'. I had no such folder. However, I did have a folder numbered `4' and carried out RoryOF's instructions on that folder instead, with total success.

(2) I would love to know just WHY this problem occurred, in simple plain non-teccy English of the sort that RoryOF uses, and what - if anything - we can do to stop it happening again. Prevention is better than cure eh?

(3) Most of the suggestions on sites like Yahoo etc were irrelevant. This is a pretty serious problem when it occurs and I just wish there was a quicker way of finding the solution. If it wasn't for this informal forum where people give their advice for free in the interests of keeping OO going, then frankly I'd have been stuffed and would probably been forced into a costly alternative like M$ Word etc. So all power to this forum and to guys like RoryOF for their knowedge, patience and communication skills!
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 10
JennaRoss

Post by JennaRoss »

Thanks so much, I had the exact same problem, and this answer solved it immediately!
Close AOO. Click Start and type %appdata% in the Search box. Click "Roaming". Right-click the OpenOffice.org folder and select Rename. Type a different name and press Enter. Restart AOO. AOO won't find the OpenOffice.org folder and will create a new one."
Open Office 4.1.1
malf3d

Post by malf3d »

I am using Windows 10 - where is Start???
Open Office 4.1.2/Windows 10
malf3d

Post by malf3d »

There is no such file on my windows 10 computer. It is underling in red every word. Please help.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

malf3d wrote:I am using Windows 10 - where is Start???
Perhaps you could tell us a little bit about what you are doing and what the problem is?
where is Start??? is not terribly informative.

What are you doing
What is the problem
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

malf3d wrote:I am using Windows 10 - where is Start???
The icon on the left end of the Taskbar.
malf3d wrote:There is no such file on my windows 10 computer. It is underling in red every word. Please help.
On your keyboard, press the Windows key+R to open the Run dialog. Type %appdata% in the Run dialog and click OK. This should open File Explorer in the Roaming folder. Rename the OpenOffice folder.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
malf3d

Post by malf3d »

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling AOO. It didn't work. There are no such files as noted above. There is no longer a "Start" when you click on the windows icon (in the lower left corner) in Windows 10. The fixes above and on other topics about this problem do not address windows 10. It is underling in red every word. spell check is not working. It happened after the latest update to AOO. How do I fix this in windows 10?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Uninstalling and reinstalling AOO doesn't touch the user profile and won't fix this problem.

The window icon on the left end of the Taskbar on Windows 10 IS "Start". If you don't get a Start Menu when you click the icon, then you have a bad Windows 10 installation.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Click on the 4 squares:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.12 KiB) Viewed 14052 times
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
malf3d

Post by malf3d »

You have to RIGHT CLICK on the icon to get the RUN option. Then you can search for the files above. I renamed the file and it is now working.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There are several different ways to get the same result. You can open Run by right-clicking the window icon or by pressing Windows key+R on the keyboard. You can click the icon or press the Windows key+S to open Search. You can open File Explorer and use the Address Bar. They all work in Windows 10.
malf3d

Post by malf3d »

Using file explorer search never found %appdata% file. I tried that first. Windows 10 is very quirky. I am not a fan.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Bill gives a number of ways to find this in the posting above. You are looking for a file path similar to this (modified with your Windows user name)
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user

How you find it doesn't matter. With OpenOffice closed change the last "user" to "user.old",
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

malf3d wrote:Using file explorer search never found %appdata% file. I tried that first. Windows 10 is very quirky. I am not a fan.
I said use the Address Bar in File Explorer, not Search. I've said before in other threads that Search in File Explorer won't work.
Edison1205
Banned

Post by Edison1205 »

I think, there’s an all-in-one English spellcheck extension that covers all Englishes.
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4
sjamesmott

Post by sjamesmott »

Thanks to RoryOF and to Bill Stephens for taking the time to solve this problem. What Bill Stephens described recently started happening to me. I'm not sure if an update caused it or some other action I took. Renaming the folder as RoryOF directed eliminated the issue.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10 Home v. 1511
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A bug report Issue 126762 - Analysis+solution: Damaged "registrymodifications.xcu" causing problems with backups and spell checker has been raised and a patch created so, with luck, we will soon no longer see posts about spell checker failing!
In the meantime, the simplest solution to the problem is

1 Close AOO
2 Switch on View Hidden files so you can see the files (Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View ...)
3 Navigate to C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\registrymodifications.xcu and rename registrymodifications.xcu to registrymodifications.OLD
4 Start AOO.

AOO will now create a shiny new registrymodifications.xcu file for you.

Edit: My apologies but this does not work.

The correct way to fix the error is given in Resetting the user profile 
Last edited by John_Ha on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
rcpinnegar

Post by rcpinnegar »

John_Ha wrote:A bug report Issue 126762 - Analysis+solution: Damaged "registrymodifications.xcu" causing problems with backups and spell checker has been raised and a patch created so, with luck, we will soon no longer see posts about spell checker failing!

In the meantime, the simplest solution to the problem is

1 Close AOO
2 Switch on View Hidden files so you can see the files (Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View ...)
3 Navigate to C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\registrymodifications.xcu and rename registrymodifications.xcu to registrymodifications.OLD
4 Start AOO.

AOO will now create a shiny new registrymodifications.xcu file for you.
This did not work for me. :( Any other suggestions?
MS Windows 8.1 OpenOffice 4.1.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try to remove the whole profile, see how to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

rcpinnegar wrote:This did not work for me. :( Any other suggestions?
Thank you for letting us know - it appears the method suggested above does not work and I have removed it. Hagar's method will work ...

Hagar - it appears that the problem is not in registry modifications.xcu - it is actually elsewhere in the configuration files. See Comment 3 where hanya has written a Python macro to fix it.

Perhaps in future we could ask people reporting spellcheck errors to run the macro ...
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Spell check underlines every word

Post by jrkrideau »

esperantisto wrote:I think, there’s an all-in-one English spellcheck extension that covers all Englishes.
Not sure but I think it downloads a lot of English dictionaries but you still need to specify the flavour of English.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

To find what dictionaries are included in the default English language dictionary extension, open the Extension Manager and click on the English spelling and hyphenation dictionaries... entry. The description should list five English languages--Australian, Canadian, British, American and South African.
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

This solution has just worked for me too - brilliant! I wasted several hours trying to solve "my" mistakes before finding this solution!!!
I did however find that the panel for "Roaming" came up automatically on clicking on %appdata%. Just had to rename OpenOffice.org and no more red lines under every single word.
Well done, RoryOF
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
thiru02

Post by thiru02 »

After hours and hours something finally happened to fix the error.

Create the path: "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\sv4sct3.tmp_"
I then copied file "dict-en.oxt" from "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\share\extensions\install" to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\sv4sct3.tmp_\" and "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\extensions\install\".

Next I right-clicked on the file and clicked Install in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\share\extensions\install to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\sv4sct3.tmp_\dict-en.oxt.
This did not seem to work fully (but I did not restart the application).

Next I right-clicked on the file and clicked Install in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\extensions\install\dict-en.oxt.
This worked.

I am not not certain what was the special step that made this work. I am also yet to shut down my computer and restart everything and hope the fix is permanent.
Good luck!
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Rev. 1761381
MS Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One should not need to be tweaking the OO user profile at this level. Normally (i.e., in almost every case) it is sufficient to close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 into the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder ("user.old" is a good name). Now start OpenOffice.

If using OO version 3, change the 4 in the note above to 3 before pasting the search string into File Explorer Address Bar.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The folder name sv4sct3.tmp_ is a randomly generated folder name. It is unlikely that using that folder name on a different system would work because AOO would be looking for the dictionary in a folder with a different name. It's better to stick with just renaming the "user" folder containing the user profile which should work on all systems.
blondogcat

Post by blondogcat »

I have tried all the suggestions listed here but the red wiggly lines persist. Obviously, my brain is no match for others on this thread because the tutorial is "all Greek to me". Is there anyone out there who can put the fix in language that we mere mortals can comprehend? Thanks.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Close OpenOffice. Click Start and type %appdata% in the Search box. Click "Roaming". Right-click the OpenOffice folder and select Rename. Type a different name and press Enter (OpenOffice.old is good to use). Restart OpenOffice. OpenOffice won't find the old OpenOffice folder and will create a new one.
helibird

Re: [Solved] Spell check underlines every word - Amended 201

Post by helibird »

Hi this problem occurred for me in 2017. I narrowed it down to Hunspell. When checked, everything underlined when un-checked, no spell checking. Resetting the user profile worked for me but please note that the folder to be renamed to .old in appdata/local/roaming is now called OpenOffice not OpenOffice.org. Thanks for the help
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7