[Solved] Force new chapters to always start on a right page?

Discuss the word processor
kane

[Solved] Force new chapters to always start on a right page?

Post by kane »

I've got a document I'm working on that will have several chapters (which I denote with a level 1 heading). I'm also using a right-page/left-page scheme. Is there a way I can make a new page and ensure it will always be on the right side?

I realize I can add a page break and make the new page be a "right page" scheme, however if the last page of the previous chapter was also a right page, OOWriter would need to put in a blank left-page automatically. Obviously it would need to be dynamic as pages are changed and chapter lengths vary throughout the writing process.

Do anyone know if this is possible? If so, I'd appreciate if you can point me in the right direction. :)

Thanks
-Kane
OpenOffice 3.1 - Linux LMDE
OpenOffice 3.4.0 - Win7
RoryOF

Re: How to force new chapters to always start on a right pag

Post by RoryOF »

I use a page style I have defined as ChapterPage. This is set to be a right page only. The necessary blank page is caused to be inserted by setting /Tools /Options : OpenOffice.org Writer : Print and checking "Print automatically inserted blank pages". I insert a page break with my ChapterPage Style when I need a new chapter.

There may need to be formatting differences with such a ChapterPage; for example, it is usual not to use a running header on such a page, if such is used throughout the book (the Chapter number and title serve instead). But a running header may often carry the page number, but on a Chapter page this might often be transferred to a footer. The absence of header, presence of footer and forced right page are each sufficient to require the new Page Style.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

All page layout configuration is done through page styles; when you do Format > Page, you're working with the page style that applies to the current page.

Any page style set for "only right" will always appear on the right (odd page numbers): Format > Page > Page > Layout settings > Page layout. See the pre-defined page style "Right Page" for an example.

The general pattern is:
Define two page styles, one for the first page (leading page) of a document section (chapter) and one for the rest of the pages (following pages). As RoryOF points out, this allows for the first page to have a different layout than the following pages.

The leading page style should be set for "only right" and specify the following page style as the "next style" under Format > Page > Organizer > Next Style. The following page style should have itself as the "next style". This linkage allows Writer to automatically change page styles on the page following the first and all pages after that.

Modify the "Heading 1" style to automatically start a new page and use the leading page style at that point. Use Format > Styles & Formatting or right-click in any Heading 1 paragraph and choose "Edit Paragraph Style", then > Text Flow > Breaks > Insert: Yes; Type: Page; With page style: (leading page style).

That's it. From that point, all you have to do is type the heading text and apply the "Heading 1" style. The style formats the text as a heading, inserts the page break, and sets the leading page style in effect. The leading page style forces the page to the next odd number (if necessary), and once the text flows onto the following page(s), the following page style will take effect.

It's all a bit complicated, but not too bad once you get used to it. And if you can use a template, once that's set up, it's just a matter of applying the styles.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
kane

Post by kane »

RoryOF wrote:This is set to be a right page only. The necessary blank page is caused to be inserted by setting /Tools /Options : OpenOffice.org Writer : Print and checking "Print automatically inserted blank pages".
Thanks RoryOF ! This is exactly what I was looking for.

acknak wrote:Modify the "Heading 1" style to automatically start a new page and use the leading page style at that point. Use Format > Styles & Formatting or right-click in any Heading 1 paragraph and choose "Edit Paragraph Style", then > Text Flow > Breaks > Insert: Yes; Type: Page; With page style: (leading page style).
This. This is magic. Very nice touch acknak, and greatly appreciated! Also, thanks for clarifying the "only right" option.
OpenOffice 3.1 - Linux LMDE
OpenOffice 3.4.0 - Win7
CannedMan

Re: [Solved] Force new chapters to always start on a right p

Post by CannedMan »

This is old, but still worth mentioning that you helped me. Separate page styles for the right page, and choosing the next page style to be the regular one, solved the issue for me as well. Thank you!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 / LibreOffice 7.0.0.3 on Windows 10 (x64)