[Solved] Saving to Word Documents

Discuss the word processor
mjepsen

[Solved] Saving to Word Documents

Post by mjepsen »

2 questions:
Most important is: I did a newsletter, nothing fancy, 1 pg. text and 2 photos. Total 2.6 MB and I thought I was correctly saving as a Microsoft Word Document 97, but the photos did not come through. Then I tried reducing the photos to a 300+ KBs and it still didn't go through. What do I need to do?
2nd question: is there any way to do Spanish accents/tildes without going the long INSERT-SPECIAL CHARACTER-FIND THE CHARACTER-OK route for each one? I used to know codes.

Thanks so much! This is very time-sensitive.
Last edited by mjepsen on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Saving to Word Documents

Post by floris v »

You give precious little information for somebody who needs help. :cry:

Did you just view the .doc file in normal view in Word? Or did you also try a Page view?

For your second question (please don't ask more than one question in one thread) it depends on your OS. You didn't tell what your OS was. :x In Windows to get ñ first hit ~ then n. Same for other letters. In Linux it's bound to be tougher.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
mjepsen

Post by mjepsen »

Well, when you're a beginner, you don't even know what questions to ask, or what info to give. :oops: As far as the accents go, I have Windows XP (Home Edition) and I'm talking about my LAPTOP which does things differently than my desktop. And the ~ plus n doesn't work.
As far as the Page view, etc. I should have said that all was okay until I made it an attachment and then the photos are not visible. Is that enough info?
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

floris v wrote:For your second question (please don't ask more than one question in one thread) it depends on your OS. You didn't tell what your OS was. :x In Windows to get ñ first hit ~ then n. Same for other letters. In Linux it's bound to be tougher.
That depends on your keyboard settings, your method oly works if the keyboard is set to international.
Try using ALT codes, should work on any OS.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I suggest you visit the Survival guide for the forum. It tells you exactly what you need to tell to get your questions answered.

Yes - US International keyboard. It's a great way to use accented letters without having to resort to a non-ascii keyboard setting like French, Spanish or, in my case, Dutch.

What do you mean with "I made it an attachment"? You sent it by mail? When weren't the pictures visible?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
mjepsen

Post by mjepsen »

What do you mean with "I made it an attachment"? You sent it by mail? When weren't the pictures visible?

Yes, I attached it to a mailing by e-mail. The recipients were unable to see the photos. Boring newsletter!
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

If your clients view the .doc files in Word in normal view, they don't get to see the pictures, ever. You only see them in print preview. Therefore, it's really much better to send your newsletters as pdf. In OOo you can export to pdf. Hope that helps. If it does, please add [Solved] to the title of your first post (edit button).
Nederlandstalig forum