Text Replaced with Hashes after Power Loss

Discuss the word processor

Text Replaced with Hashes after Power Loss

Postby llee611838 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 pm

I am using Open Office 3.0.1. After nearly completing a chapter of my novel, saving after every paragraph, my computer spontaneously rebooted and when I loaded OO again, the program asked if I would like to retrieve the copy of the document in memory. I said yes. When it had finished, I got a pop up box asking me to chose the character set and default font. I selected the defaults, Western Europe Windows 1252, font Times New Roman and the language English. The document came up as nothing but hash marks. I tried opening it with different character settings but no luck. Is there any way to retrieve any of the previously saved versions? I spent a lot of time on this chapter of my novel and saved as I went thinking that I was being smart. I see that there has been some discussion of similar issues before, but not for some time, and in my initial scan of the forums I did not find a solution. I am hoping perhaps there has been more recent treatment of this issue and some solution has been found. This represents a lot of work gone.
Open Office 3.0.1 Windows Vista
llee611838

Re: Text Replaced with Hashes after Power Loss

Postby RoryOF » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Look in the temporary directory of OpenOffice, the path is given in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice.org Paths; if there are any files there with names such as sfgtre.tmp rename them to .odt and try to open them. Else nothing to be done, I fear, but rewrite. Experience shows that a rewrite is almost always better!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: Text Replaced with Hashes after Power Loss

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:49 pm

For the record: 22 page term paper replaced with pound signs.

Note that it seems there are less topics about that with latest 3.3.0 version. It may be worth upgrading.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Return to Writer