[Solved] Where do I find a real checkmark

Discuss the word processor
MikeCPA

[Solved] Where do I find a real checkmark

Post by MikeCPA »

I need to insert checkmarks into a writer/text document. In my old WordPerfect, I went to insert/symbols/iconic symbols and could select a real checkmark.

I have searched Special Symbols in OOv3 but I only find a math symbol under Mathematical Operators, U-221A. But it's not a real checkmark
Last edited by MikeCPA on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.4.X on Ms Windows XP + win2kpro
RGB

Re: where do I find a real checkmark

Post by RGB »

Most fonts have these characters:
✓ U+2713
✔ U+2714
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
MrProgrammer

Re: Where do I find a real checkmark

Post by MrProgrammer »

I see that RGB has answered, but I have this typed so I'll answer too.

The checkmark is Unicode 2713. Use Insert > Special character > Font > Open Symbol and you should find it.

To simplify insertion, you can do it once, copy it to the clipboard, and then use Tools > AutoCorrect > Replace and have Writer replace, say, -/ with ✓. You neeed to ensure that Use replacement table is enabled in Tools > AutoCorrect > Options and that While typing is enabled in Format > AutoCorrect. Then -/{space} should change to ✓.

Or you can use Edit > AutoText to make a shortcut. Use the Help button in that dialog for instructions.

If this answered your question please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MikeCPA

Post by MikeCPA »

Thanks very much!

I cannot find U2713 or U2714 to save my life, but I get the idea, and found another checkmark.
OOo 3.4.X on Ms Windows XP + win2kpro
Gibbanator

Post by Gibbanator »

RGB wrote:Most fonts have these characters:
✓ U+2713
✔ U+2714
I am always complex when someone answers a question with something that does not work when using common sense. When I see U+2713 It tells me to hold the U key down and type 2713 but of course all that does is spam U's across the page. If i type U+2713 than that's what I get exactly what I type.. So what is the U+?

I know holding the alt key and than the number will give the symbol but I get different symbols.. and most people will put use Alt+2713. So I am assuming U is meaning something else but hay I can't figure it out. If only the poster would of explained..

Mrprogrammer said in his post that U is Unicode.. but I do not see that on my keyboard.. I mean this is making a check mark on OpenOffice right?

I did find Special Characters under Insert but that's like reading a dictionary before you can find what your looking for.. I was hoping the U+2713 was a shortcut by keyboard.

Ya I know I'm 2 years late but I was looking for the answer today..
Open Office 3.1
RusselB

Re: [Solved] Where do I find a real checkmark

Post by RusselB »

You get different symbols because using the Alt key with a numeric key sequence (using a number keypad, the numbers at the top of your keyboard won't work for this) generates an ASCII character, not a Unicode character.
Try using Alt+0252.
My current keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad, so I can't verify that is a checkmark, but a Google search brought that up.

P.S. I understand the confusion regarding the U+ .. unfortunately it's something most of us just type, when necessary, not thinking about the fact that we know it's to indicate a Unicode character and not an actual keystroke.

BTW: 2019 - 2011 is 8 years, not 2
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Gibbanator

Post by Gibbanator »

RusselB wrote:You get different symbols because using the Alt key with a numeric key sequence (using a number keypad, the numbers at the top of your keyboard won't work for this) generates an ASCII character, not a Unicode character.
Try using Alt+0252.
My current keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad, so I can't verify that is a checkmark, but a Google search brought that up.

P.S. I understand the confusion regarding the U+ .. unfortunately it's something most of us just type, when necessary, not thinking about the fact that we know it's to indicate a Unicode character and not an actual keystroke.

lol I was going by the last post date and not the first... anyway when I try Alt+0252 i get ü which is what I was getting with U+7213. I am sure Unicode means something my point was the answers are not doable unless you know what they are saying which they do not explain in there answers..

Just would like a keyboard shortcut alternative to the insert/special character search that is needed when using open office. Would save a lot of time.

I'm sure there is a list somewhere posted.
Open Office 3.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Copy these characters into the Autocorrect function and assign a "code" to it. for example these characters:
✓ -> *v
✔ -> *vb

The AOO/LO will replace the typed in *v or *vb "words" to ✓ or ✔ character.
(You must use a full featured Unicode compatible Font.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Gibbanator

Post by Gibbanator »

Thanks Zizi64 this works great.. I would of never thought of that.
Open Office 3.1
Gibbanator

Post by Gibbanator »

RGB wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:58 pm Most fonts have these characters:
✓ U+2713
✔ U+2714
typing U than 2713 or 2714 does not work. Your assuming we know what U is but I do not.. please explain what to do with U and what to type on the keyboard to make the check mark in open office
Open Office 3.1
Gibbanator

Post by Gibbanator »

RusselB wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:41 am You get different symbols because using the Alt key with a numeric key sequence (using a number keypad, the numbers at the top of your keyboard won't work for this) generates an ASCII character, not a Unicode character.
Try using Alt+0252.

When I type Alt-0252 I get ü

BTW: did it really matter how many years he said?
Last edited by Gibbanator on Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 3.1
Gibbanator

Post by Gibbanator »

Gibbanator wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:31 am
RGB wrote:Most fonts have these characters:
✓ U+2713
✔ U+2714
I am always complex when someone answers a question with something that does not work when using common sense. When I see U+2713 It tells me to hold the U key down and type 2713 but of course all that does is spam U's across the page. If i type U+2713 than that's what I get exactly what I type.. So what is the U+?

I know holding the alt key and than the number will give the symbol but I get different symbols.. and most people will put use Alt+2713. So I am assuming U is meaning something else but hay I can't figure it out. If only the poster would of explained..

Mrprogrammer said in his post that U is Unicode.. but I do not see that on my keyboard.. I mean this is making a check mark on OpenOffice right?

I did find Special Characters under Insert but that's like reading a dictionary before you can find what your looking for.. I was hoping the U+2713 was a shortcut by keyboard.

Ya I know I'm 2 years late but I was looking for the answer today..
Not sure how this is solved. Your exactly right. I have no ideal how to type the Unicode they say you have to do with the numbers in order to get the check mark. Can't tell you how many post I come across that do the same thing.
Open Office 3.1
Gibbanator

Post by Gibbanator »

MrProgrammer wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:50 am I see that RGB has answered, but I have this typed so I'll answer too.

The checkmark is Unicode 2713. Use Insert > Special character > Font > Open Symbol and you should find it.

To simplify insertion, you can do it once, copy it to the clipboard, and then use Tools > AutoCorrect > Replace and have Writer replace, say, -/ with ✓. You neeed to ensure that Use replacement table is enabled in Tools > AutoCorrect > Options and that While typing is enabled in Format > AutoCorrect. Then -/{space} should change to ✓.

Or you can use Edit > AutoText to make a shortcut. Use the Help button in that dialog for instructions.

If this answered your question please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Is there a keyboard shortcut or do we have to use the menu to get the checkmark to appear? Copy past is good until you start a new page the next day. Just trying to find a keyboard shortcut if there is one
Open Office 3.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Is there a keyboard shortcut or do we have to use the menu to get the checkmark to appear?
You can write a macro for this task, and then you can assign the macro to a free shortcut key, or to a new menu item.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Gibbanator wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:05 pm Is there a keyboard shortcut or do we have to use the menu to get the checkmark to appear? Copy past is good until you start a new page the next day. Just trying to find a keyboard shortcut if there is one
Have you read the post you've quoted??? It explains how to avoid the copy-paste.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Here is a sample file with the embedded macro code and two new assigned menu items at the top of the Insert menu.

Of course the scope of the macro is this document only. You must copy the macro code into a Module of the MyMacros, and then reassign the subroutines Checkmark1 ad Chacmark2 two new menu items in scope of the LibreOffice.
InsertCheckmarkMacro.odt
(14.85 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Jan_J

Post by Jan_J »

Ad vocem
More about input methods for getting Unicode characters by its code from keyboard: see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input
U+NUM sometimes works (almost)
Of course, putting Autocorrection entry seems to be the most convenient in Writer.
JJ ∙ https://forum.openoffice.org/pl/
LO (7.6) ∙ Python (3.11|3.10) ∙ Unicode 15 ∙ LᴬTEX 2ε ∙ XML ∙ Unix tools ∙ Linux (Rocky|CentOS)