[Solved] Can't delete empty paragraphs!

Discuss the word processor
thomsec

[Solved] Can't delete empty paragraphs!

Post by thomsec »

Hello, I'm editing some word documents and I've found blank paragraphs that I can't delete. I've saved the last few pages so you'll know what I'm talking about. I saved the .doc as an .odt, but the problem still persists. Ideally I'd have just one page, but I have two extra pages with empty paragraphs. I've tried using the $ and ^$ regular expression searches, but the search doesn't see them.
Any ideas?
Attachments
help.odt
(83.63 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
Last edited by thomsec on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
acknak

Re: Can't delete empty paragraphs!

Post by acknak »

Try Format > Sections and note that there are nine sections in the sample. Only the first section has any text in it; all the others have only spaces, tabs and paragraph breaks. You can't delete a paragraph break when it's the only one in the section.

You have to first remove the extra sections, then you can remove the extra breaks and spaces.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
thomsec

Post by thomsec »

I did go to Format > Sections, but there was just a list of the sections. Is there a way to have the sections identified in the document so that I can delete the right ones? Or is there a way to delete sections directly on the page? I just opened the doc in ms word and they were indeed all section breaks and I could delete them.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 9.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

You can see the section names in the status bar below the document--only "Section 1" has any text in it.

To my knowledge, there is no way to remove the section around the cursor. You have to go through the list under Format > Sections.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
thomsec

Post by thomsec »

Thanks!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 9.04