Reducing image resolution

Discuss the word processor
daustin

Reducing image resolution

Post by daustin »

I added a few images to a document. I changed the size. Is there a way in Openoffice to change the resolution of the images. I have the size where I want but would like to reduce the resolution to make a smaller document. Of course, I could remove the images, change the resolution outside Open office and add them back but I thought I might be missing somewhere in OpenOffice that allows you to check this.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Mac
Hagar Delest

Re: reducing image resolution

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don't think it's possible (but there is an extension for Impress however: the presentation minimizer). Better work on the pics with a dedicated application (I use XnView, it's rather good) before inserting them.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Reducing image resolution

Post by RoryOF »

A useful way to reduce file size is to encode (externally) images as jpegs; you can choose various quality levels before encoding. On continuous tone images (photos and similar) one can gain a lot of compression without appreciable loss of quality.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Horse

Post by Horse »

Another option, the only one I've found to reduce all the resolutions without a lot of work, is to convert to pdf. In the conversion look at the "Jpeg Compression" I've been setting the "Quality at 20%," which is adequate for computer display (50 DPI or something like that), but keeping the full resolution in the original so the print versions will turn out sharp at 300 or so DPI.
So if you can use PDF, this gives a 5-second solution. Too bad I can't do a "Save As" with similar "quality" reduction for a 5-second solution there.
Lee Higbie
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Win 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.

If your problem is solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As a general rule, printed images (photos) do not need to be printed at a resolution greater that 180 dpi (210 dpi for best quality). Line charts ad graphic images should be at least 300dpi on the printed page (600 dpi may be better).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS