[Solved] How do I turn off predictive text

Discuss the word processor
bengtsson

[Solved] How do I turn off predictive text

Post by bengtsson »

Sometime when I type, I can see the Writer trying to second guess what word I am typing, putting a word there in highlights.
I find this just annoying and cant see how this will help anyone unless they type at snail pace. How can I disable this?

Kent
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Hagar Delest

Re: How do I turn off predictive text.

Post by Hagar Delest »

-> [Solved] How do I stop predictive text?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Tools>AutoCorrect>Word Completion and remove the tick from the 'Enable word completion' option.

Please edit your first post and add [Solved] to the start of the title if this cures your problem.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

Sometime when I type, I can see the Writer trying to second guess what word I am typing, putting a word there in highlights.
I find this just annoying and cant see how this will help anyone unless they type at snail pace.
Just a word about predictive text, or in OOo terms, AutoComplete text... I too found it annoying at first, but I discovered over time how easy it was to hit Enter when the correct word form was found. I do not type at a snail's pace. I touch-type 100 wpm with good accuracy, 130 if I'm rushing and accuracy goes down. But I also watch as I type and it's far easier to hit one key than three or four. AutoComplete saves me thousands of keystrokes per week, and I like the idea of that much less wear-and-tear on my busy hands. If the word only has one or two letters left, I just type them, no point in doing otherwise.

To each his own, of course, but i wanted to caution you not to jump to conclusions or judgments about features until after you give them a fair shake. You're not used to AutoComplete, but that doesn't mean the feature is useless.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
idrummond

Post by idrummond »

I will agree it can be useful, but I am starting to get distracted that everytime I write the word 'her', it gives me herringbone. Is there a way to edit the list?
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

It's worth noting that this is also documented in the application help. We need to remember to press F1 and search the available help for AutoComplete (note that a request has been made to add "Predictive Text" to the index so that it is even easier to find)
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

idrummond wrote:Is there a way to edit the list?
Tools>AutoCorrect then Word Completion tab.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10