How to unlock document to update

Discuss the word processor
chrisw1951

How to unlock document to update

Post by chrisw1951 »

could anyone advise

I have previously created a CV which I now need to update but am unable to do so as document is locked.
I have not locked this
How do I unlock it :(

thanks
CW
poenoffice 3.2 on windows vista
Hagar Delest

Re: How to unlock document to update

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What do you mean exactly? It can be locked if the system thinks that the file is already in use. In this case, just delete the .lock... file that should be in the same folder than the file.

If the document is read-only, click the Edit icon in the main toolbar. It can be linked to the drive where you've saved it (rights issue). We don't have enough details to give a clear answer.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
chrisw1951

Post by chrisw1951 »

hi
re CV update
I open this document from my documents file
I click on paraghaph to be updated and the information on the blue bar at bottom of screen changes
normally states the following page 3 0f 4 / words 733 / symbol with a red X / english (united states)
on trying to edit this changes to - this modification is not allowed because the selection is locked

I really dont know what else to say Im sorry I dont understand the instruction you have sent me - ie just delete the lock - where is the lock
regarding read only - I have previously updated this document - so its not, as far as i know read only

Would appreciate any help you can give as closing date for job is looming

thanks
CW
chrisw1951

Post by chrisw1951 »

Hi
further info
I have also previously ceated a cover letter to go with CV - I have updated that this am - no problem
I have looked at both documents and noted the following differences

On CV doc. none of the tool bar is live and it on top of doc. states my name followed by (compatibility mode) - microsoft word
on cover letter - all tool bar is live and on top of doc states openoffice.org writer

I cant understand this as both doc. were completed via openoffice

hope this helps

CW
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Is your document being opened in an expired trial version of MS Office? Have you changed the Default Program to Writer? "Compatibility mode" is an MS Office feature.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Use the Vista search bar to find the .lock file Hagar is talking about. Click Start and enter .lock in the search bar at the bottom.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This isn't a problem with Writer. A Google search for "This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked" reveals that this message is from MS Word, not Writer. The description of the Status Bar on the problem document does not match what you would see in Writer. Writer does not show a word count in the Status bar, and the language should appear as English (USA), not english (united states).

This modification is not allowed because the document is locked

the modification is not allowed because the selection is locked