[Solved] How to find where a style is used

Discuss the word processor
liquidcool123

[Solved] How to find where a style is used

Post by liquidcool123 »

I'm working on cleaning up my custom styles and I have a few styles that I want to delete, but I cannot find where they are used. Is there an easy way to find where a particular style is used?

In the attached file, I'm looking for style WW8Num1 and WW8Num2. I cannot delete them because they are in use, but I can't see where.

However, in general, I would like an easy way to find where each of my styles are used. I think MS Word 2003 has a style option like "select where used" or something like that. Does OO have any similar features?
Attachments
Warm Up.ott
cannot find where list WW8Num1 & 2 are used
(11.34 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Last edited by liquidcool123 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Using 3.2 on OSX 10.5 and 3.3 on Windows 7
therabi
Volunteer

Re: How to find where a style is used

Post by therabi »

Download and install the AltSearch extension, http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... /AltSearch . It allows for search and replace on Properties which can be selected from a drop down list.

HTH
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The style used in an another style, but not used directly in the text body:
style_used _in_another_style.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Normal Find and Replace should also find Styles (select Search for Styles from the dropdown marker bottom left of the F&R screen)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Normal Find and Replace should also find Styles (select Search for Styles from the dropdown marker bottom left of the F&R screen)
That is works in the text, when a searched style applied to a part of text. But what happen, when the WW8Num1 and WW8Num2 numbering styles are not used in the text directly, but they are used in another style as a substyle?
For example: the "WW8Num1" numbering style used (as numbering substyle) in the paragraph style named "Numbering", but the paragraph style "Numbering" is unused (not applied) in the text document.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You can use Firefox and 7-Zip to find which paragraph styles use the numbering styles. Open Firefox, then open the OTT file with 7-Zip. Drag the styles.xml file from the 7-zip window to Firefox and use Find in Firefox to search for WW8Num1 and WW8Num2.
liquidcool123

Post by liquidcool123 »

Why do WW8Num1 and 2 styles show up as applied when I am not using the "Numbering" or "Text Body" styles which call on WW8Num1?

Thank you to Zizi64 for helping me track those down - how did you know to look at "numbering" and "body text" paragraph styles?

I tried the AltSearch Extension, but it could not find those numbering styles (again because they are technically not used in any text in the document). I did not try the Firefox/7-zip option, because I'm not familiar with 7-zip and I would prefer to not have to open alternate application, but thank you for the suggestion!

I'm not sure I can mark this as solved until I can determine a straight-forward way to find unused, but applied styles. Any suggestions?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

liquidcool123 wrote:I'm not sure I can mark this as solved until I can determine a straight-forward way to find unused, but applied styles. Any suggestions?
You can print out the style definitions and search the printout for instances of the numbering styles. Open the document and select File > Templates > Organize. Double-click the document name on the Template Management dialog, then right-click "Styles" and select "Print". This should print the modified styles, so finding where the numbering styles have been applied shouldn't be too difficult. For files with more modified styles, you can use a virtual PDF printer to generate a searchable PDF file instead of a physical printout.
liquidcool123

Post by liquidcool123 »

The solution of printing the styles as a search-able pdf worked wonderfully. I used primopdf (because it was free and I already had it). A simple search for the style name showed me what other style used it. Thank you Bill!