[Solved] Exciting scrolling problems again

Discuss the word processor
Biscuitlips

[Solved] Exciting scrolling problems again

Post by Biscuitlips »

Can all inform me as to why scrolling doesn't work in OpenOffice. I'm using Vista Home Premium with a logitech laser mouse.

Scrolling refuses to work and from what I'm seeing on the forums, this seems to be a major problem that isn't easily overcome or being addressed by the writers.

All helpful input shall be much appreciated.

(Please inform me if any should not see this questions. Thanks. )
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: Exciting scrolling problems again

Post by foxcole »

If you've looked through the forums, you might have seen an issue with the old version of the EuroDictionary extension, but that was fixed some time ago. Are you using that?

Have you seen the Survival Guide to the forum? (Please see my signature below.) That asks for specific pieces of information and gives some tips about asking questions. "Scrolling problems" doesn't describe what you're seeing. What have you done to try to solve the problem... have you updated your mouse driver, for example? Does it happen only in one document? Does it happen only in Writer or other OOo modules, or other programs too? Again, please read the tips for asking questions.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Biscuitlips

Post by Biscuitlips »

foxcole wrote:If you've looked through the forums, you might have seen an issue with the old version of the EuroDictionary extension, but that was fixed some time ago. Are you using that?

Have you seen the Survival Guide to the forum? (Please see my signature below.) That asks for specific pieces of information and gives some tips about asking questions. "Scrolling problems" doesn't describe what you're seeing. What have you done to try to solve the problem... have you updated your mouse driver, for example? Does it happen only in one document? Does it happen only in Writer or other OOo modules, or other programs too? Again, please read the tips for asking questions.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what EuroDictionary extension is or how to find it.

Scrolling problems only occur in OpenOffice, so it is not a problem with the computer nor with any other program. Mouse drivers are all up to date, but the fact that there is no scrolling problems anywhere else rules out driver problems.

Let me know what you think ... appreciate the tips by the way. Thanks.
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

Please provide the information requested in the Survival Guide, and please follow the tips to describe the problem. As I noted earlier, just the words "Scrolling problems" don't tell us anything. You could be seeing a number of different behaviors in different kinds of documents or document contents. Please be specific.
Cheers!
---Fox

Biscuitlips

Post by Biscuitlips »

foxcole wrote:Please provide the information requested in the Survival Guide, and please follow the tips to describe the problem. As I noted earlier, just the words "Scrolling problems" don't tell us anything. You could be seeing a number of different behaviors in different kinds of documents or document contents. Please be specific.
I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific. What is and where is a "Survival Guide" ... as to scrolling problems, let's say you are on a page with a long document.
On some mice, there is what is called a Scroll wheel ... you roll that thing to go down through the page(s). In Microsoft Works / Word, I can scroll down through the pages with my mouse wheel. I cannot do that in OpenOffice. When I roll the wheel on the mouse, nothing moves. If I move that in Works / Word, then the pages roll downward or upward, whatever I wish. Hopefully this will help you understand my problem. Thanks for coming in on this.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Link to the Survival guide for the forum. It was in one of the links in Foxcole's signature. You can't miss it.
I have a cheap wheel mouse and it allows me to scroll through OOo files using the scroll wheel, no problem at all. So the problem is not with OOo not supporting a wheel mouse, it's the problem of it not supporting your wheel mouse.
Last, as you can find in the Survival guide, this isn't a customer service forum; the people in here, and Foxcole is no exception, are users, not developers, of the software. It is as much in their as your interest that you provide all information that can bear on your problems.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Biscuitlips

Post by Biscuitlips »

floris v wrote:Link to the Survival guide for the forum. It was in one of the links in Foxcole's signature. You can't miss it.
I have a cheap wheel mouse and it allows me to scroll through OOo files using the scroll wheel, no problem at all. So the problem is not with OOo not supporting a wheel mouse, it's the problem of it not supporting your wheel mouse.
Last, as you can find in the Survival guide, this isn't a customer service forum; the people in here, and Foxcole is no exception, are users, not developers, of the software. It is as much in their as your interest that you provide all information that can bear on your problems.
Very good .... so the answer is then, that OpenOffice does not support all mice, i.e. Logitech laser. But then again, from the amount of postings on this forum regarding scrolling (and no answers by the way) it tells me the problem again resides right in OpenOffice, as you yourself have stated.

Regarding your last paragraph, & looking at the headers, I wouldn't have thought the forum was *not* a place where one could *not* get help.
As to me giving as much info regarding my problem, I don't really know how much more I could have stated or said it.
Usually "mouse not scrolling" should really be that difficult to understand. Now that this has been amplified a bit more, let's see how the saga continues.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Under modern operating systems no application software needs to support any hardware. You've got one of those Vista problems. Ask Logitec for a Vista driver.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Biscuitlips

Post by Biscuitlips »

Thanks for the reply. I've got the latest Vista driver. As stated previously, this mouse works in webpages / Works / Word 2007.
Any other ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.
Biscuitlips

Post by Biscuitlips »

I previously posted here last evening (and afterwards deleted it ) thinking I had got the fix after uninstalling Setpoint for Logitech mice. Suddenly and without warning, I could scroll through in OpenOffice, so I downloaded the latest Logitech MX Revolution driver for Vista and all was well, or so I thought.

After rebooting the machine, I'm right back to where I first started ... it doesn't work. So as you've pointed out, it's a driver problem. So I think uninstalling Setpoint, the mouse will operate ok and I can scroll in OpenOffice. But then again, why should one have a driver that works in all programs in this computer apart from OpenOffice? Whose fault is this ... OpenOffice of Logitech?
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

Biscuitlips wrote:Usually "mouse not scrolling" should really be that difficult to understand.
Well, but it was. You called it "scrolling problems" --- you didn't say that nothing was happening at all. Very big detail there! As you noted, you've searched the forum and found that other people reported scrolling problems, and I believe you probably read through at least a few of those issues. You might have seen, then, that other people have had difficulty scrolling when they get to a certain point in the document, or they scroll but then the document jumps back to where their insertion point was. I haven't seen any scrolling problems reported yet that were not solved by either removing a corrupted image or updating the EuroDictionary extension. (For more information on that and other available extensions, you might like to have a look at the Extensions site.)

You still haven't provided all the details. ;)
Does the scrolling problem happen in one specific document in OOo or does it happen in all of them? Does it happen only in Writer or does it happen in all the modules? Those tips in the Survival Guide (which I did originally point out could be found through the link in my signature) would have helped you provide these details. In asking technical questions, you really do have to be very specific about describing what you're seeing and exactly when you're seeing it.
I was asking for more details, and trying to steer you to the Survival Guide, for a reason.
Cheers!
---Fox

floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Oddly, I have scrolling problems with my simple wheel mouse in Word 2002. At some locations (in plain text, no graphics or anything outlandish) it simply refuses to scroll up or down, I have to scroll using the Page Up or Page Down keys, or the arrow keys. So far, I don't know what's up there, but hey, that's MS Word. However, there is a possibility that Windows doesn't accurately handle the wheel mouse output, but only in very specific cases, so that it works most of the time.

@Biscuitlips: there's a very good reason why people ask what version of OOo you use. For instance, Ubuntu Linux ships with its own version of OOo, and it's bugged. I've seen quite a few threads here and in the old forum started by people who reported some problem, and quite often it turned out that Ubuntu OOo was the culprit. And some older versions of OOo have bugs that were removed in later versions. If you're using an older version than 2.3.1, your problem might well be related to a bug that has since then been repaired (possibly by inserting new ones :evil: ).
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

floris v wrote:Oddly, I have scrolling problems with my simple wheel mouse in Word 2002.
Well, that's Word 2002 for you! :) One of the buggiest programs MS ever released.

Actually, I seem to recall that merged table cells as far back as Word 95 caused issues when paging or scrolling through a document... that splitting the cells fixed it. On the other hand, Word is notorious for corrupting things---images, paragraphs, tables, templates, entire documents. A common solution for strange file behaviors is to "Maggie" the content, meaning to copy and paste everything except the final paragraph mark into a fresh document. That final paragraph mark stores a lot of information about the entire file, and some little corruption in it can result in an odd and large assortment of puzzling behaviors. Try that.
Cheers!
---Fox

floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

:lol:
Nederlandstalig forum
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

floris v wrote:Oddly, I have scrolling problems with my simple wheel mouse in Word 2002.
Floris,
From what I learned about the Windows operating system by reading this forum, I can assure you that this problem must be related to OpenOffice.org. Just remove all traces of OOo and all your problems will go away, particulary if you use so called "registry cleaners" after wiping out OOo.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

Villeroy wrote:
Floris,
From what I learned about the Windows operating system by reading this forum, I can assure you that this problem must be related to OpenOffice.org. Just remove all traces of OOo and all your problems will go away, particulary if you use so called "registry cleaners" after wiping out OOo.
Haha!!!! :D :D :D
That surely will fix it. No interlopers in the MS sandbox, else Word will throw tantrums.
Cheers!
---Fox

Biscuitlips

Post by Biscuitlips »

foxcole wrote:
Biscuitlips wrote:Usually "mouse not scrolling" should really be that difficult to understand.
You still haven't provided all the details. ;)
Does the scrolling problem happen in one specific document in OOo or does it happen in all of them? Does it happen only in Writer or does it happen in all the modules? Those tips in the Survival Guide (which I did originally point out could be found through the link in my signature) would have helped you provide these details. In asking technical questions, you really do have to be very specific about describing what you're seeing and exactly when you're seeing it.
I was asking for more details, and trying to steer you to the Survival Guide, for a reason.
foxcole, thank you for your reply. Scrolling doesn't scroll in Writer ... because I've only installed Writer. I'm busy at the moment, but shall look at the Survival Guide at the end of your signature.

The fact that Setpoint when uninstalled allows one to scroll in OpenOffice and not when it is installed tells me there's some weird and wonderful in incompatibility between Logitech's software and OpenOffice, wouldn't you think?

Thanks again for your efforts. I shall get back at this in a bit.
Biscuitlips

Post by Biscuitlips »

floris v wrote:@Biscuitlips: there's a very good reason why people ask what version of OOo you use. For instance, Ubuntu Linux ships with its own version of OOo, and it's bugged. I've seen quite a few threads here and in the old forum started by people who reported some problem, and quite often it turned out that Ubuntu OOo was the culprit. And some older versions of OOo have bugs that were removed in later versions. If you're using an older version than 2.3.1, your problem might well be related to a bug that has since then been repaired (possibly by inserting new ones :evil: ).
I think I mentioned the particular version of OOo I am using, which is 2.31. As to Microsoft Word / Works products presenting this same problem of *no scrolling* I've yet to see it with the computers we've had here. This only came up in the latest version of OpenOffice.

As stated previously, there's some type of personality problem existing between Setpoint (Logitech software for the MX Revolution Laser Mouse) and OOo.

If you've something up your sleeve (or pantleg) that might overcome this problem, please fire it right onto this thread. Thanks for your comeback on this.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I think I mentioned the particular version of OOo I am using, which is 2.31.
I think you didn't. :D It's why we kept asking you for that priceless information. ;) I'm not well-versed in mouse problems, I just wanted to help narrow down the questions by getting all the facts straight.
Nederlandstalig forum
Biscuitlips

Post by Biscuitlips »

floris, you could have knocked me over with a tombstone! I did not have my version # posted here at all. Either I typed it out and edited it afterwards and deleted the statement regarding the version # or I just need a long nap. The latter is more than likely true.

If you or others on here have an idea as to where the root of this problem lies (I understand villerroy to say it originates in OOo) please do let me know.
This (and the tab problem) is what turns me away from this program and wanting to buy Word. :-}
James
Volunteer

Post by James »

Biscuitlips wrote:This (and the tab problem) is what turns me away from this program and wanting to buy Word. :-}
What is the tab problem to which you refer?

Wouldn't buying a new mouse be cheaper than buying Word?

BFN,
James
www.8daysaweek.co.uk - A User-Focused OOo site.
Windows Easy Installation CDs & OOo on USB Keys, OOo for Mac OS X + Ubuntu CDs

Please read: Survival Guide for the forum
OOo 3.1.1 on Ubuntu 9.x + Windows XPP, Mac OS X
Biscuitlips

Post by Biscuitlips »

James ... the mouse is new. It is a Logitech MX Revolution. The tab problem is ... when one hits the tab, it should move the cursor to the right about an inch or so. The cursor does not move in OpenOffice. If you've an idea as to why it refuses to work, please advise. Thanks.
Biscuitlips

Post by Biscuitlips »

Now I've finally got this thing (mouse problems) fixed. Here's how for those who might be ready to throw themselves out through the basement window in anguish over this unhappy issue.

In the settings for Setpoint (Logitech's software for the MX Revolution) there is the threefold option of ...
1) always click to click
2) always free spin
3) pressing wheel shifts scroll mode

I performed number three task and though it is not giving me a free spin, it does allow me to scroll in OpenOffice. Again, this is a unique situation that is only found in OpenOffice, because I can use either one of the three options in Word 2007 and there is no snag whatsoever.

But ... this has provided a fix for my problem and now even after rebooting, it works, so all seems to be well. This will mean my blood pressure will come down from a mere 400 / 200 to a normal level now.

Now as to the *tab issue* ... I would seek further help on this exciting issue. I've posted it in another topic and have yet to hear anything back on that one. So the saga continues like a soupy soap opera!?!
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Exciting scrolling problems again

Post by foxcole »

Thank you for posting your findings! Very useful information. Now that you've been through all this, I've located what appears to be a related issue in the Issue Tracker, and I apologize for not seeing it sooner: 72727, Intellipoint 6.2 scroll wheel behavior. Perhaps you could paste your comments there (you'll need to register and log in).
Cheers!
---Fox

Biscuitlips

Re: [Solved] Exciting scrolling problems again

Post by Biscuitlips »

I think I've posted that in the place you advised me. I registered there, then followed your link again and pasted my previous posting there regarding the scrolling issue.