[Issue] Outline Mode (like MS Word)

Discuss the word processor
webmasterpdx

[Issue] Outline Mode (like MS Word)

Post by webmasterpdx »

I have asked multiple times for outline mode to be improved and made more like MS Word's outline mode. Openoffice is unusable until that becomes available. It is the only feature missing. I have mentioned this and I have a lot of support throughout the web on this. Eventually, the OpenOffice team relented once they seemed to understand that Navigator is not the same thing, and is not sufficient.

Understand that I and Millions more people will continue to use MS Office until this feature exists. We cannot change until that feature is added.
Well, when the Openoffice team seemed to understand it, they issued a bug fix to get this done. Unfortunately, the bug got assigned to an idiot!
He saw the old solution "Navigator takes care of this" (not), and marked it as solved and closed the bug, so it got lost once again.

At the time I threw my hands in the air and gave up. I have not visited the openoffice boards again until now, and I see it still hasn't been addressed.
Please, please please, someone, somewhere, with the power within the OpenOffice Community, please understand that Word's Outline mode renders OpenOffice a toy in comparison. I have no use for open office until this feature is in place.

And, as I said, there are at least a million others who feel the same way. I'd love to use Openoffice instead of MSOffice, but without Proper outlining, with collapsing sections and driving the table of contents from the outline headers and automatic numbering based on outline headers, We'll all be forced to continue to use MS Word.

So, if you want to do one thing that will increase 2 fold the number of users and fans of openoffice, just implement outline mode....or something with equivalent functionality, and the next person who says navigator will be slapped :-)

Thank you in advance if you have the intelligence and integrity to admit that OpenOffice has this big flaw, and to set something in motion to get it fixed.
I tried many times already and found it's like swimming upstream. I had to give up. This is my last plea to someone from the community.

-Donald Murray
===============
Donald Murray BSEE
CTO
IPPUB LLC
Portland Oregon
USA

Edited to remove All Caps (TheGurkha, Moderator).
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OOo 3.1.X on MS Windows Vista + Linux
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Outline Mode

Post by TheGurkha »

We're not the developers, just users trying to help other users. The developers don't hang out here.

We have no say in what gets implemented or fixed. As you probably know the way to report bugs or make suggestions, is this: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions.

Raise a bug, and get some of these 'millions' to vote for it. That will flag it up to the developers.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Hagar Delest

Re: Outline Mode

Post by Hagar Delest »

One of the oldest request: Issue 3959 - Outline View (aka MS Word). 311 votes. You should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
webmasterpdx

Re: [Issue] Outline Mode (like MS Word)

Post by webmasterpdx »

I already did all the things suggested. When I register a bug and get it voted on, it passes. It gets assigned to someone who sees it was supposedly solved by the use of navigator (not true) and it gets closed again and I'm left where I was before. I have given up and continue to use word (and by proxy windows). I'd love to switch to linux, but cannot until this problem gets fixed. Dont' tell me to use the system....it doesn't work! Read my post more carefully.
OOo 3.1.X on MS Windows Vista + Linux
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Are you still using version 3.1? The latest version is 4.1.6 and there have been a significant number of changes since 3.1
If you have tried 4.1.6 and still have the same problem, then you could try http://www.libreoffice.org
Hopefully you'll be able to give these suggestions a try before another 8 1/2 years have passed.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

It gets assigned to someone who sees it was supposedly solved by the use of navigator (not true) and it gets closed again and I'm left where I was before.
The Otline view did not exist in the MS Office version that I used lastly in the far past. (I have not MSO presently). I just checked this function in a YouTube video. The Outline view seems as a very illogical function for me: The document will be re-paginated again and again, when you switch between the views of the chapter numbering levels. It is a nonsense.
The Navigator (located on the Sidebar) is more better for me.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For being for a while in the OOo/AOO forum, it's funny to see that this feature was highly requested few years ago but we hardly see it anymore.
Agreed that the Navigator view is much better (MS Word has this feature also, limited to the headings).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

webmasterpdx wrote:Dont' tell me to use the system....it doesn't work! Read my post more carefully.
Unless you want to write the code yourself, using the system is the only way forward.

When you use the system remember that, just because you want something, does not necessarily mean the developers will develop it specially for you.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.