Spell check a MS document

Discuss the word processor
darren

Spell check a MS document

Post by darren »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.3
What Operating System (version) are you using? windows home edition 2003
What is your question or comment? I transfered files from my old system with MS Windows Office to the Openoffice Writer program. But now the spell check will not work at all. I have checked the survival guide and cannot see anything that corresponds. What do I do?
kabing
Volunteer

Re: Spell check a MS document

Post by kabing »

OpenOffice.org probably doesn't know what language your MS documents are in. This is a frequent problem with MS Word files. To check and see if this is the issue, select a paragraph or so of text. Under the Format menu, go to Character; in the window that opens, click on the Font tab. What is the language dropdown set to? If it is not set correctly, try setting it to the right language. Does spell check work properly in this part of your document?

In the end, the best way to solve this issue is to edit the applied styles in the document, so they are set to the correct language. You can select all and reset the language as I suggested in the test above, but that may create styling problems later on.

kabing.
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
Hagar Delest

Re: Spell check a MS document

Post by Hagar Delest »

For further information, see here: [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10