Cursor doesn't move between words.

Discuss the word processor
RoninG84

Cursor doesn't move between words.

Post by RoninG84 »

When I start a new file, there are no problems. However, I often run into an issue where I suddenly realize that the cursor doesn't move whenever I press the space bar. The space registers, though, because when I type the next word there is a space between them. I'll demonstrate below using "&" to represent the cursor.

Typically, if you type a word and press the space bar, you see this - Hello &

When I do the same, however, I see this - Hello&

What causes this and how can I fix it? Thanks much in advance.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Re: Cursor doesn't move between words.

Post by RoryOF »

Try pressing the Insert key on the keyboard.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you upload a sample file (see: How to attach a document here)? This is sometimes the case at the end of a line (wrapping).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

This happens at the end of a line--where the next word will/may wrap to the next line--right?

If so, this is the normal behavior. Just type a space and start the next word, Writer will handle it properly, even though it looks odd.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoninG84

Post by RoninG84 »

Tried the insert key (several times), and there was no change. But no, it's not a line-wrap issue, because it happens between every word, not just at the end of the line. It's more annoying than an actual issue, but it does make it harder for me to write when I have to take several breaks in between (which is usually the case with a 5 year old haha) because I start typing again and a few of my words run together. I will try to put up a sample momentarily.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can't you upload a sample file?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
isltech

Post by isltech »

I have the same problem. I don't think it will do any good to upload a sample because it is only a problem when viewing it on screen, and not as a finished product. Ronin explained the problem pretty well.

Here is another example using the @ in place of the cursor (flashing vertical black line).
typing "openoffice," then <space> fifteen times yields:
openoffice@
typing "openoffice," then <space> fifteen times, then "a" yields:
openoffice a@
Open Office 3.0.1 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try / Format / Autocorrect / Options : options tab. Check Ignore double spaces is not ticked.
isltech

Post by isltech »

RoryOF wrote:Try / Format / Autocorrect / Options : options tab. Check Ignore double spaces is not ticked.
In 3.0.1 its under Tools / AutoCorrect / Options Tab, but it didn't resolve the issue.
isltech

Post by isltech »

Has anyone had any luck on this issue? I have this coming up in other computers.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Almost certainly this is to do with the Insert key, which toggles between Insert and overstrike. One does not advance the cursor using the Spacebar as Ronin suggested in the first post in this thread; that inserts a space. To advance the cursor use the arrow keys.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

RoninG84 wrote:When I start a new file, there are no problems. However, I often run into an issue where I suddenly realize that the cursor doesn't move whenever I press the space bar. The space registers, though, because when I type the next word there is a space between them. I'll demonstrate below using "&" to represent the cursor.

Typically, if you type a word and press the space bar, you see this - Hello &

When I do the same, however, I see this - Hello&

What causes this and how can I fix it? Thanks much in advance.
This sounds stupid but are you sure there's no space? You may have the Autocorrect opton of ignoring double spaces checked.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
marcoilduce

Post by marcoilduce »

I have seen this problem as well especially as my document gets larger. I have been transcribing oral histories and noticed that the cursor will behave in the same way as not displaying a space until I start typing. I think maybe it's a memory issue. It doesn't happen on smaller docs and it seems to start happening on a document the more I use it.
Open Office 3.2.1 Windows 7 32bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What size is your document?
 Edit: Have you adjusted memory allocations in the /Tools / Options section (different path for Macs. Sorry, I don't know it offhand). The default memory allocations are conservative in terms of memory on modern machines. 
marcoilduce

Post by marcoilduce »

It's only 38K. I just changed the memory setting for Open Office to 150 megs instead of 10. Is there another place to adjust the memory other than in the options menu?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

No, there isn't. Also, reduce the Undo levels on the same page (defaults to 100 if I remember correctly). I suggest 10 is about as many as one can remember. If you are using graphics you may also fiddle with the graphics settings.
marcoilduce

Post by marcoilduce »

I did all of that and still the cursor sticks. However, I have observed it happens toward the end of a sentence, I can reproduce it over and over again and noticed it definitely happens toward the end of the sentence.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your paragraphs are terminated by pressing Enter (Newline) (correct method) rather than by Shift Enter?
 Edit: Is your output screen of exceptional width (hi-res, wide screen?) 
marcoilduce

Post by marcoilduce »

It's not really in the paragraphs but in every sentence. Yes, paragraphs are returned using the ENTER key. (Actually I never heard of the Shift+Enter method) My monitor is set at 1650X1080. It's by no means a deal breaker for me, it would be nice to know what is going on with it though in case others are having a similar issue.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I use similar width monitor with no problems; I asked about monitor width as there were reports of problems with OOo and very large widths. One last thought: on the Status Bar (bottom line of screen) just to left of centre you should see a box saying INSRT or OVER. If you click on that it should change from one to the other. Try both to see if it cures your problem.
 Edit: Also worth checking that you have the latest drivers for your video card and for your screen. In both cases look at the manufacturer's site under Support or Download. 
marcoilduce

Post by marcoilduce »

Just updated drivers, problem still exists. Perhaps this one that can't easily be solved. Maybe it's my over all system? I have an HP with a 2.2 Core Duo, 2 gig of RAM, and a Geforce 7500LE, running Windows 7.
Wunderchicken

Post by Wunderchicken »

I started having the same problem this morning, and spent all day trying to make it stop. I was almost ready to dig out my Wordperfect software to install on my laptop, but I fixed it by downloading a newer version of Open Office. Now it works fine, and I can get back to writing my document without all the stress that comes from wondering whether or not I pushed the space bar. I couldn't find a single reasonable solution on any of these forums, so I thought I'd let you all know how to actually fix it.
SaMMiJo
OpenOffice 3.4.1
Windows Vista
Waves

Post by Waves »

I had this issue, turned on the paragraph marks and discovered a page section break accidentally inserted, which somehow forces the cursor to remain next to the previous word even after hitting the space bar, until you start tying the next word. hope this helps someone
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Waves wrote: ... and discovered a page section break accidentally inserted
I find it especially useful to make all page breaks display as a red line - Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Appearance > Text Document > Section boundaries > Page break.
Attachments
page.png
page.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 66018 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JeremyLi

Post by JeremyLi »

I have meet the same problem, you can solve it by following steps:

Open office writer --> "View" and toggle "non-printing characters".
Infact i use libreOffice 3.6
TX_Cowgirl

Post by TX_Cowgirl »

Check page breaks. I hit enter between the continuous page break and what I was typing and the space bar/cursor went back to normal.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
laminnick

Post by laminnick »

I recently started having this issue with MS Word - I know this isn't the right place for it. But maybe it's the same weird issue.

MS Word, ctrl+shft+8, turns on showing the Formatting marks. I did this, hit the insert key a couple times, and then turned off formatting marks and it worked.

About a week ago, Word started registering the space but not visually displaying a space had been placed. It's a huge pain when trying to write a paper.

Good luck.
ignore this... OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

laminnick - doing a search for:
microsoft word doesn't show space
Yields some results. The first one says its maybe something to do with section breaks - something also mentioned above.

If the answer isn't there then there are several forums for Word

https://www.msofficeforums.com/microsoft-word/
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)